Is there one thing all Christians agree on about the bible?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Is there one thing all Christians agree on about the bible?

Post #1

Post by DanieltheDragon »

Is there one objective belief that all Christians universally hold?

Is there one objective belief about the bible?

Is there anything in the scriptures that has one singular interpretation?
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

sf

Re: Is there one thing all Christians agree on about the bib

Post #81

Post by sf »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to Peds nurse]
I believe it is the entire chapter. At the beginning of the next, it says that Jesus left and went elsewhere. (not that it really matters).
Why would Jesus suddenly refer to himself in the third person? It doesn't really make much sense. I am in the camp that interprets the manuscripts ending the quote at 3:15 and so are a lot of other biblical scholars. The NiV ends the quote at 3:15 and the KJV is unambiguous to where it ends.
Did you mean the KJV is ambiguous to where it ends? The KJV translation doesn't include quotation marks because the underlying Koine Greek didn't have such a thing :no:, although some printings of the KJV today have red letters for what is generally believed to be the words of Jesus.

Would you agree that verse 13 is part of Jesus' speech to Nicodemus? He is referring to himself in the third person there too:

"[11] Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. [12] If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things? [13] And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven." (John 3:11-13)

sf

Post #82

Post by sf »

DanieltheDragon wrote:Is there one objective belief that all Christians universally hold?

How about the very beginning of the Bible:

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." (Genesis 1:1)

Even non-Messianic Jews agree with this.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #83

[Replying to post 81 by sfisher]

Yeah I meant ambiguous didn't catch that until after I could no longer edit. Your right the KJV provides no quotes. The son of man is a title Jesus gave himself. Referring to your title in speech is not uncommon. Like Obama talking about something like this(complete fiction): I often contemplate things I can and cannot do with the authority of my office, it turns out there are limits to what the president can do.

Now you can see how that doesn't seem unusual. Compared to, I often contemplate things I can and cannot do with the authority of my office, it turns out there are limits to what the president can do. The only son of a father, will work and sacrifice for the American people that whoever should vote for the son of a father will bring success on their country. Now things don't flow so well and feel disjointed like two separate speakers.

It's not just a change in person the tonality of the speech changes to. It also further underlines that while some people consider this Jesus's words others do not. Meaning it is not a universally held idea or belief among Christians. Which is really the point either way, it's not a universally held opinion of Christ.
Last edited by DanieltheDragon on Tue May 26, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #84

sfisher wrote:
DanieltheDragon wrote:Is there one objective belief that all Christians universally hold?

Sure but how did he create the world? Was it one god or many(the Hebrew uses the plural for. Of god)? Did god directly or indirectly create the world.

Ancient of Years
Guru

Post #85

Post by Ancient of Years »

squint wrote:
AoY wrote: So you are reduced to desperately repeating out of context one-liners that have already been debunked and ignoring the majority of the arguments presented against you.
There is no argument. I'm citing their positions. Let's not make it any more complex than their stated facts.
No you are not. You are applying off the wall interpretations to out-of-context one-liners and ignoring the material that contradicts you in the very sources you cite as well as in all the additional sources I provided.

You have this strange fantasy going on about what Catholicism is all about. But you are extremely wrong. Why not stick to the real criticisms of Catholicism of which there are plenty?

In any case, no point in continuing here.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

William Blake

squint
Banned
Banned

Post #86

Post by squint »

Ancient of Years wrote:
squint wrote:
AoY wrote: So you are reduced to desperately repeating out of context one-liners that have already been debunked and ignoring the majority of the arguments presented against you.
There is no argument. I'm citing their positions. Let's not make it any more complex than their stated facts.
No you are not. You are applying off the wall interpretations to out-of-context one-liners and ignoring the material that contradicts you in the very sources you cite as well as in all the additional sources I provided.

You have this strange fantasy going on about what Catholicism is all about. But you are extremely wrong. Why not stick to the real criticisms of Catholicism of which there are plenty?

In any case, no point in continuing here.
No one is righteous. No, not one, regardless of claims to the contrary.
"As to the ultimate things we can know nothing, and only when we admit this do we return to equilibrium." Carl Jung

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #87

Post by Zzyzx »

squint wrote: No one is righteous. No, not one, regardless of claims to the contrary.
:warning: Moderator Final Warning

This post violates three Forum Rules and Guidelines. 1) preaching, 2) one-line comments, 3) unsupported claims.

This continues a pattern for which you have received several warnings.

Repent and sin no more.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator final warnings serve as the last strike towards users. Additional violations will result in a probation vote. Further infractions will lead to banishment. Any challenges or replies to moderator warnings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #88

Post by Goat »

Peds nurse wrote: [Replying to post 23 by DanieltheDragon]

Daniel, I have no idea what a no true scotsman fallacy is.

When I looked up the definition for Christian, I got this:

a : one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ

If we look at what Jesus taught:

Matthew 16:21-From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.

So, Jesus was going to die and on the third day be raised to life. This is what He taught.

Matthew 20:28- "just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

He was going to give his life as a ransom for many...this is what Jesus taught.

John 3: 16 (once again). For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus said the above words...they are His teachings. So what can we gather from all this?

In order to be a Christian, one must believe that Jesus was the Son of God, was killed, and on the third day, rose from the dead, and was seated at the right hand of God. He did this so that we (those who believe) will have eternal life with Him.

All the teaching of Jesus, and by the definition you gave...it fits!
You seem to be confusing "What Jesus taught" and 'What is taught about Jesus" Jesus did not say the words in John 3:16, but the author of the Gospel of John (who we don't know which John it is) said that.

Matthew 16:21 made a claim about what Jesus said, but the author of Matthew was not Matthew, and copied from the Gospel of Mark, who got his information supposedly as a disciple of Peter when Peter was in Rome. As such, that is what is said about Jesus, rather than what Jesus said.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #89

Post by Goat »

sfisher wrote:

There is debate on what the term 'Created' is though. Created as if formed from preexisted material, or created from nothing are the two things that are argued about.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #90

Post by dianaiad »

Goat wrote:
sfisher wrote:

There is debate on what the term 'Created' is though. Created as if formed from preexisted material, or created from nothing are the two things that are argued about.
Indeed.

While many (if not most...I don't have an accurate count at all) Christians believe in creation 'ex nihilo," that is, 'creation from nothing," my own belief system teaches that it's more 'organization,' that is...creating something from stuff that is already there.

....rather like the 'Big Bang..." stuff was already THERE...something just happened and....boom.

I honestly do not know, offhand, how many other belief systems, Christian or non, hold this idea.