Kennewick man

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

RonE
Scholar

Kennewick man

Post #1

Post by RonE »

For those that don't know about Kennewick man link here or here.

So, my question is for all the YEC: What do you make of this 9,000+ year old man found in Washington state?
*"On the other hand, we have people who are believers who are so completely sold on the literal interpretation of the first book of the Bible that they are rejecting very compelling scientific data about the age of the earth and the relatedness of living beings." Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D.
*The Atheist has the comfort of no fears for an afterlife and lacks any compulsion to blow himself up.
* Science flies to you the moon.... religion flies you into buildings.
* Faith isn’t a virtue; it is the glorification of voluntary ignorance.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

On thing that kind of surprises me is the following quote from the Wiki page you linked to:

"The Umatilla argued that their oral history goes back 10,000 years and say that their people have been present on their historical territory since the dawn of time.[37]"

This is kind of interesting. How many people would have guessed that American Indians claim to h ave an oral history dating back further than the Abrahamic Bible.

That's amazing. It seems to me however, that they would have an extremely difficult time supporting this claim without some sort of scriptural evidence. How in the world can any oral traditions claim to date back 10,000 years with no written scriptures?

I realize this has nothing at all to do with dating the remains of the Kennewick man (which I'm not questioning). But I'm just surprised that anyone could lay claim to having oral traditions that date back 10,000 years. They must have some pretty sophisticated oral traditions to be able to make a claim like that.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

RonE
Scholar

Post #3

Post by RonE »

[Replying to post 2 by Divine Insight]

Sure nuf. I guess oral traditions don't require evidence, sounds kinda like christianity, eh? Since science seems to present the only evidence I'll go with that.
*"On the other hand, we have people who are believers who are so completely sold on the literal interpretation of the first book of the Bible that they are rejecting very compelling scientific data about the age of the earth and the relatedness of living beings." Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D.
*The Atheist has the comfort of no fears for an afterlife and lacks any compulsion to blow himself up.

pshun2404
Sage

Post #4

Post by pshun2404 »

Yeah! I agree the YECs have the whole timeline thing incorrect.

RonE
Scholar

Post #5

Post by RonE »

Well, I guess the YEC representatives are going to no-show on this

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #6

Post by OnceConvinced »

Can we really be sure the carbon dating used is accurate? Wouldn't it be necessary to travel back in time to confirm it really is 9000 years old?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

RonE
Scholar

Post #7

Post by RonE »

OnceConvinced wrote: Can we really be sure the carbon dating used is accurate? Wouldn't it be necessary to travel back in time to confirm it really is 9000 years old?
Well of course. That's is actually what I did for confirmation. Hopped in the old time machine and I found this guy got the spear point in his hip 9432 years ago during a new years eve party, he was messing around with his neighbors woman. :D

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #8

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to Divine Insight]

Art can be considered documented oral history. No need for scriptures, cave paintings pottery etc will suffice.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

H.sapiens
Guru

Post #9

Post by H.sapiens »

[Replying to Divine Insight]

Australian Aborigine oral tradition may go back 40,000 years (oldest measured site is actually 68,000 years).

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #10

Post by Bust Nak »

pshun2404 wrote: Yeah! I agree the YECs have the whole timeline thing incorrect.
I have a question. I assume you reject both evolution and YEC from reading your post. Which leaves you as kinda an odd ball as the OEC I am aware of are all theistic evolutionists. So what other mechanism for the creation of human is there, beside spoken into existence/from dust style straight up miracle, and evolution?