Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

"I am NOT an animal"

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

"I am NOT an animal"

Many who do not appear to have much knowledge of biology seem indignant when learning that H. sapiens are classified as animals (alternatives being plant and virus). I do not recall ever hearing a Non-Theist object. 1) Is there something about religion that causes this?
arian wrote: You see I am NOT an animal, never was and never in a billion years will I evolve to be one, my family tree all the way back to Adam don't have one ape in it.
2) Why be upset, indignant or in denial about a biological / taxonomic classification?

3) Since humans differ from other animals only in degree (some mental and physical characteristics), what is the objection to recognizing that they are animals?

4) Is anything other than religion (and possibly narcissism) involved?

In the quoted statement someone (whose theological position apparently defies description) claims knowledge of his family tree back to Adam – as though that proves the claimant is not an animal. However, if the hypothetical Adam was human (H. sapiens), he (Adam) classifies as an animal.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: I Am Not An Animal

Post #241

Post by Zzyzx »

squint wrote: I suggest that engaging without imposed presuppositions would be beneficial.
Okay. State clearly and inclusively your presuppositions and we can go from there.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Clownboat
Savant

Re: I Am Not An Animal

Post #242

Post by Clownboat »

squint wrote:
Clownboat wrote:
squint wrote:
Clownboat wrote: Your words just don't convey any meaning. I'm sorry for that. I believe that if there was a god concept involved in your life that this would not be the case.

Therefore at this time I must reject anything you say for fear that you might just be delusional. I am open to being shown incorrect on this matter of course, but then I would expect your words to not be so human.

An all powerful god could convey ideas, and you have not been able to convey your ideas successfully so far. You can believe that it is our fault all you want, but naturally, we would have our own explanations as to why this is the case.
Resorting to personal slander is always an option.

I don't provide any "definitions" of God, as there are none to be had.
Yes, yes squint. I'm just your enemy that is out to slander you.
No person is my enemy. I believe God Loves and saves everyone. So my sight contains no threats to any person unless they falsely impose it from their side.
I'm not the only one here having issues, that much is obvious. Like it or not, you are the common denominator.
I'd observe that many of you perhaps don't enjoy my engagements because I won't be hammered into standard pigeon holes that some pattern christians with. I suggest that engaging without imposed presuppositions would be beneficial.
I can only assume you are projecting. If not, please supply examples of anyone here not enjoying engagements with you because they cannot hammer you into some standard pigeon holes you think exist.

Did you not know there are over 30,000 denominations of Christianity? Most people here know that, so to suggest some standard pigeon holes does not make much sense.
If you are involved with a god, it seems to me that he does not help you to convey his ideas. This is an observation and not slander. Again, I am very much open to having your posts start to convey meaning and hope that they will soon.
Would you mind addressing the underlined part? Keep in mind that even if people are trying to pigeon hole you like I assume you will demonstrate, that that would not cause people to not be able to understand much of what you say here.

Can you explain in a way that can be understood as to why your god concept cannot seem to help you relay his message that I can only assume is important to be relayed?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

arian
Banned
Banned

Post #243

Post by arian »

What happened to squint?

That should teach him not to use Godly wisdom against Omega and his followers! Or stand up for himself that he is not an animal! How dare he?

If you can still read this squint, may God bless you, I for one will miss you here!!!!!

Your friend

Odon

"Lord, please don't let the few voices of the righteous be shut out, .. unless what I see with my eyes, what I hear with my ears is the footsteps of your Heavenly Armies getting ready to come to bring justice by judging the wicked? If so, Please Come Lord, .. do not delay!"

Amen and amen.

--------------------------------
I see as the "Christianity" part of this Debating Forum is dying out, the "Religion" part is becoming stronger and more prevalent.
Soon it will be "Atheists Debating Christianity & Religion"
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root.

Henry D. Thoreau

KenRU
Guru

"I am NOT an animal"

Post #244

Post by KenRU »

arian wrote: That should teach him not to use Godly wisdom against Omega and his followers! Or stand up for himself that he is not an animal! How dare he?
I see, rules shouldn't apply to those who believe in god/jesus, is that your argument? Perhaps the rules are unfair. Which ones are unfair?

In my year and a half on this forum, I have encountered nothing but fair moderators (on both sides of the aisle) and seen posters of all persuasions warned and banned.

Just saying ...
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #245

Post by Danmark »

arian wrote: What happened to squint?

That should teach him not to use Godly wisdom against Omega and his followers! Or stand up for himself that he is not an animal! How dare he?
:warning: Moderator Warning

Challenges moderator action.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #246

Post by OnceConvinced »

Godly wisdom would lead one to take care how they tread and not violate forum rules. Godly wisdom would also be recognized and acclaimed.

Pro 12:8
A man is praised according to his wisdom, but men with warped minds are despised.

A wise man exhibits self control:

James 1:26, "If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight reign on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless."

Colossians 4:5-6
Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time. Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

Pro 11:2
When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.

Also beware of false Christians:

Mark 13
And Jesus, answering them, began to say: “Take heed that no one deceives you. 6 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am He,’ and will deceive many.
arian wrote: Odon

"Lord, please don't let the few voices of the righteous be shut out, .. unless what I see with my eyes, what I hear with my ears is the footsteps of your Heavenly Armies getting ready to come to bring justice by judging the wicked? If so, Please Come Lord, .. do not delay!"

Amen and amen.

Pro 16:7
When a man's ways are pleasing to the LORD, he makes even his enemies live at peace with him.

arian wrote: --------------------------------
I see as the "Christianity" part of this Debating Forum is dying out, the "Religion" part is becoming stronger and more prevalent.
Doesn't say much for the holy spirit does it?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #247

Post by Zzyzx »

Squint was banned for repeated rule infractions after being on Probation.
arian wrote: That should teach him not to use Godly wisdom against Omega and his followers! Or stand up for himself that he is not an animal! How dare he?
Correction: That should teach others to abide by Forum Rules and Guidelines, particularly after being given numerous Moderator Comments, Warnings, and Final Warnings.

It is important here to debate honorably and civilly -- and to substantiate claims when challenged. Some people seem to have difficulty adjusting to those requirements.
arian wrote: I see as the "Christianity" part of this Debating Forum is dying out,
Why is that Arian?

Could it have something to do with all the supernatural tales, testimonials and stories cannot be shown to be anything more than imagination, hallucination, delusion, fabrication, etc?
arian wrote: the "Religion" part is becoming stronger and more prevalent.
Based on long experience in these debates I see no such thing happening.
arian wrote: Soon it will be "Atheists Debating Christianity & Religion"
It does seem as though Non-Theists have a much stronger debate position and that most Theists have difficulty presenting anything more substantial than testimonials (theirs or others'). Why is that Arian?
Non-Theist

arian
Banned
Banned

Re: "I am NOT an animal"

Post #248

Post by arian »

KenRU wrote:
I see, rules shouldn't apply to those who believe in god/jesus, is that your argument? Perhaps the rules are unfair. Which ones are unfair?

In my year and a half on this forum, I have encountered nothing but fair moderators (on both sides of the aisle) and seen posters of all persuasions warned and banned.

Just saying ...
Your atheist - against magical thinking comment has been received Danmark, and I thank you.

Henry D. Thoreau

arian
Banned
Banned

Post #249

Post by arian »

OnceConvinced wrote:

Godly wisdom would lead one to take care how they tread and not violate forum rules. Godly wisdom would also be recognized and acclaimed.
Recognized by whom? Don't you remember what they did to Jesus? i suggest you watch "The Passion of the Christ" by Mel Gibson to get a reminder of how He was 'acclaimed', .. praised enthusiastically and publicly!

OnceConvinced wrote:Pro 12:8
A man is praised according to his wisdom, but men with warped minds are despised.
Oh yes, those were the good ol' days of Solomon, unfortunately as you can see in the world today it has become the opposite, where evil, killings, war for money, sins like homosexuality is legalized, where men with warped and greedy minds are praised and worshipped (Hitler, Lady Gaga, Jay-Z and Beyoncé etc. I could go on and on, ..) all praised and even worshipped as gods and goddesses.
OnceConvinced wrote:A wise man exhibits self control:

James 1:26, "If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight reign on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless."
I told you many times, "I am NOT religious", and I don't want to give the wrong impression. The Pope is religious, and so is the Catholic Church, I have never ever seen or heard of any Pope cuss and swear in public, rather their speech is all about love, peace and many, many blessings. They proclaim "bless, do not curse" very good publicly. What I write here I do it out of love for the hope in the salvation of those lost in religions.
OnceConvinced wrote:Colossians 4:5-6
Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time. Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
.. have I left a question concerning my Lord Jesus Christ, or who is our heavenly Father, .. or interpreting the Bible unanswered?
Am I look warm on important issues?
Is my speech bland?
Now I do admit my debates are not very graceful, but considering the times and how evil is being condoned and good is being literally banned from public, the Word of God has now become a sword. It may not look very graceful when it splits people open revealing the deepest secrets of their hearts that's true, but it isn't meant to look graceful either, right?

Matthew 10:34
“Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword."

Revelation 2:12
“And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write, ‘These things says He who has the sharp two-edged sword: .. 16 Repent, or else I will come to you quickly and will fight against them with the sword of My mouth.

OnceConvinced wrote:Pro 11:2
When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.
.. I know all about humility, and I am humbled by what the Lord has revealed to me so far. But we are not to confuse humility with leniency or stupidity, right?
OnceConvinced wrote:Also beware of false Christians:

Mark 13
And Jesus, answering them, began to say: “Take heed that no one deceives you. 6 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am He,’ and will deceive many.
Well you and I know all about that don't we, .. that's why we left the Christian Religious Churches with their preaching of love (sending their children into war for the rich) joy (newer and better bands in church, sports and favorite teams), peace (by surveillance and enticing men to go against each other) etc.
OnceConvinced wrote:
arian wrote: Odon

Amen and amen.
Pro 16:7
When a man's ways are pleasing to the LORD, he makes even his enemies live at peace with him.
That is SO true, isn't it?

This is why Satan's World Leader$ (I don't mean the ones in office with 'World Leader' tittles either) have to create fake wars, terror groups named after the goddess ISIS (SS in the passed) with modern up to date underwater movie cameras and directors to show the world; "Hey look, .. you do have an enemy see! Look at their cruelty, now on HD in living color!" to make people be scared and always ready for war. They will stop at nothing, even burning children alive, drowning them in cages, blowing up a little baby as part of mind-control in the training camps! "Look in my eyes, .. you are getting sleepy, .. you are an animal, an ape, and you will act like a wild ape, instinct not mercy, .. OBEY!"

Convincing people of war has become an art. Otherwise the tanks, the warships, the warplanes, the bombs, the bullets would just sit there getting old and rusty, and would have to be disposed of. No cities to rebuild, no bridges, no oil wells, no outrageous price hikes, no threat of an "energy-crisis" and the greedy couldn't get richer anymore.

Matthew 4:9
And he said to Him, “All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me.�

War is a Racket. It always has been. It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives. It has been estimated by statisticians and economists that the war yielded $16 Trillion in Profits That is how the 21,000 Billionaires and millionaires got that way. This $16 Trillion in Profits is not to be sneezed at. It is quite a tidy sum. - Smedley D. Butler
OnceConvinced wrote:
arian wrote: --------------------------------
Doesn't say much for the holy spirit does it?
It's like the loving mother who is telling her teens: "Please, don't go to that concert/party, I see so much danger lurking with the drugs and liquor, the abandon lifestyle, please don't go baby, I'm worried for you!" .. or the father who keeps going to the gate and looking down the road hoping for his sons safe return (Prodigals son), so what do you mean by; "it doesn't say much?"

You got used to religion telling you to "Get up and go to church or you'll burn in hell!" (I know, I've been there). That's not our Loving heavenly Father, he speaks through His Son and those who hear him want to (read, seek and knock), are not forced to. And they listen very intently for that 'still small voice'.

Take care my friend.

Henry D. Thoreau

arian
Banned
Banned

Post #250

Post by arian »

Zzyzx wrote: .
Squint was banned for repeated rule infractions after being on Probation.
Thanks, .. I wasn't aware he was breaking any rules, but then we interpret 'rules' quite differently you and I, right?
Zzyzx wrote:
Correction: That should teach others to abide by Forum Rules and Guidelines, particularly after being given numerous Moderator Comments, Warnings, and Final Warnings.

It is important here to debate honorably and civilly -- and to substantiate claims when challenged. Some people seem to have difficulty adjusting to those requirements.
Oh hell yes, .. the prisons and torture camps in communist countries were filled with people who just couldn't adjust to the New Communist honor and civility requirements. I see how ISIS is struggling to get people to be more civil so they could have honor in this New World Order too.

Yes it IS important, only who is defining the word civil? The Pharisees thought Jesus was very uncivil, and because He just wouldn't change and stop making a fool of them, making them seem so unrighteous painting a very different picture of them to the people then the one they enjoyed for all them years, they had him killed (banned if you will).

When He was dying on the cross, they came and watched, and made fun of him because he 'couldn't substantiate His claims'!?

Mathew 27:39 And those who passed by blasphemed Him, wagging their heads 40 and saying, “You who destroy the temple and build it in three days, save Yourself! If You are the Son of God, come down from the cross.�

.. 41 Likewise the chief priests also, mocking with the scribes and elders, said, 42 “He saved others; Himself He cannot save. If He is the King of Israel, let Him now come down from the cross, and we will believe Him. 43 He trusted in God; let Him deliver Him now if He will have Him; for He said, ‘I am the Son of God.’�

Zzyzx wrote:
arian wrote: I see as the "Christianity" part of this Debating Forum is dying out,
Why is that Arian?

Could it have something to do with all the supernatural tales, testimonials and stories cannot be shown to be anything more than imagination, hallucination, delusion, fabrication, etc?
Lol, .. of course not. It's because most of the Moderators are atheists, or some other New Name for God haters like 'ignostic', 'non-theist', .. 'wants evidence' that they would consider evidence (no books allowed, but must show evidence on the forum in writing, .. lol). I mean to write an OP on is there a more evil God then the Bible God and other like topics don't show hate for God, or making people accept religious dogma like Evolution and the BB-theory which calls them animals of the ape family anything other than hate, I just don't know?
Zzyzx wrote:
arian wrote: the "Religion" part is becoming stronger and more prevalent.
Based on long experience in these debates I see no such thing happening.
And no religious person would either.
Zzyzx wrote:
arian wrote: Soon it will be "Atheists Debating Christianity & Religion"
It does seem as though Non-Theists have a much stronger debate position and that most Theists have difficulty presenting anything more substantial than testimonials (theirs or others'). Why is that Arian?
I don't know, because from my POV, atheism is built on unsubstantiated testimonials, starting with cave paintings, then they move on to dried bones, fossils and so on to stories of quantum specs of whatever popping out of nothing and creating universes. Then they will debate things they claim they don't even believe exist, like gods!? So how would that compare to Believers like me who know my Creator by scientific evidence from nature itself? How does that compare to my faith by evidence with substance?

Henry D. Thoreau