God, Atheism, and Morality

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Boltzmann Brain
Student

God, Atheism, and Morality

Post #1

Post by Boltzmann Brain »

Firstly, I am an atheist. I accept that morality is subjective, at least according to my argument, and that absolute, objective morality does not exist.

That is essentially the end game that Christians tend to strive for in their arguments, as if it is a slam-dunk victory. But they fail to consider the massive flaw in their own system of morality.

No, I'm not rehashing all of the atrocities that their God committed in the Bible. I'm going to focus purely on God's properties, not his actions. Consider this syllogism:

1. God, along with the properties that characterize him, always existed, without creation or origin.
2a. Suppose God has no control, nor ever had any control, over his own properties. Then go to premise 3.
2b. Suppose God has control over his own properties. Then we can reasonably assume that he exists in the manner that he prefers. But he could not have had control over his own preferences, since if he were to exist in a state where he has no preferences then he will choose a set of preferences at random (or not at all).
3. God's properties are therefore random, or subject to chance, as they were ultimately not intelligently assigned.
4a. Morality, which comes from God, is therefore random, or subject to chance.
4b. Suppose morality does not come from God, but rather exists independently. Then it, too, exists without creation or origin, so its properties were not intelligently assigned, and therefore morality is random.

Therefore morality either does not exist, or is entirely random. I fail to see how the theist is morally superior to the atheist.

PS

I haven't been here for a few years... has this forum been overrun with atheists now?
For stardust thou art, and unto stardust shalt thou return.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #11

Post by OnceConvinced »

Moderator Action

Moved to Random Ramblings for lack of a clear debate question

Please review the Rules and Tips on starting a debate topic.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

OnceConvinced
Savant

Re: God, Atheism, and Morality

Post #12

Post by OnceConvinced »

Boltzmann Brain wrote:
Therefore morality either does not exist, or is entirely random. I fail to see how the theist is morally superior to the atheist.
I see it as something that has evolved over time and continues to evolve. I normally avoid any debates on the topic of "God is required for morals" because I think the whole idea is just so insanely absurd that we would need a god for that when humans themselves can determine what is destructive, negative, demeaning, and hurtful themselves. To me that factor is not even open for debate.

Boltzmann Brain wrote:
I haven't been here for a few years...
Welcome back.
Boltzmann Brain wrote: has this forum been overrun with atheists now?
Actually going by the members list and those who have been active in the last 24 hours, it's about evenly split between believers and non-believers. Maybe it's the non-believers that post a little more perhaps?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World