Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Paprika
Banned
Banned

Why is transphobia tolerated here?

Post #1

Post by Paprika »

If a person were to join this forum making racist comments, using and implying racial slurs, and saying that racial minorities were disgusting, evil, and inherently inferior, they would certainly be swiftly banned (and rightly so!). This person could say the same things about women, people from certain countries, people with disabilities, and the reaction would be the same -- a swift ban.

However, on this forum -- which prides itself on civility -- people can make bigoted and untrue comments about transsexuals and all the genderbending lot with absolutely no consequences. Not so much as a warning. Certain members have been making blatantly transphobic statements for years without even a moderator comment.

Why the double standard? Why is racism banned, but transphobia and cisgender supremacy tolerated? Are T people somehow a less-deserving minority?

;)

Haven
Guru

Post #2

Post by Haven »

Excellent post -- I agree 100% (it's almost as if I wrote it myself ;)).

Why is transphobia tolerated here? I don't mean just "arguing against transgender identities" for religious reasons, etc., but actual shaming and denouncing of transgender people by misgendering them, calling them incorrect names, and so on? It seems this violates the forum rule against personal attacks.

Quick note: please avoid the term "genderbending," it's considered offensive. "Gender non-conforming" is the more respectful term.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

Paprika
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Paprika »

Haven wrote:
Why is transphobia tolerated here? I don't mean just "arguing against transgender identities" for religious reasons, etc., but actual shaming and denouncing of transgender people by misgendering them, calling them incorrect names, and so on?
Again, the clever rhetoric use of the -phobia suffix: the word is defined to mean mere opposition but because of its etymology is also used to subtly push that the referent is 'irrational'.

pquote]It seems this violates the forum rule against personal attacks.[/quote]
As far as I'm aware the forum tolerates personal attacks against 3rd parties (non-posters here) as well as indirect once, eg when non-theists can attack 'Christians' in general.
Quick note: please avoid the term "genderbending," it's considered offensive.
Noted. I will continue to use it.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #4

Post by OnceConvinced »

Paprika wrote:
As far as I'm aware the forum tolerates personal attacks against 3rd parties (non-posters here) as well as indirect once, eg when non-theists can attack 'Christians' in general.

Moderator Clarification
The rules are designed to protect the forum and the members in it, not those who are not members. And there is no bias here. Personal attacks are frowned upon no matter whether you are a theist or a non-theist.

Rules
C&A Guidelines

Moderator clarifications do not count as a strike against any posters. They serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received and/or are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels a clarification of the rules is required.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

puddleglum
Sage

Re: Why is transphobia tolerated here?

Post #5

Post by puddleglum »

[Replying to post 1 by Paprika]
However, on this forum -- which prides itself on civility -- people can make bigoted and untrue comments about transsexuals and all the genderbending lot with absolutely no consequences.
Can you give a specific example of such a comment?
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

Paprika
Banned
Banned

Re: Why is transphobia tolerated here?

Post #6

Post by Paprika »

puddleglum wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Paprika]
However, on this forum -- which prides itself on civility -- people can make bigoted and untrue comments about transsexuals and all the genderbending lot with absolutely no consequences.
Can you give a specific example of such a comment?
Haven't been around all that long, but I can think of one:
Paprika wrote: Bruce Jenner
Gather ye stones!
The response to the refugee crisis has been troubling, exposing... just how impoverished our moral and political discourse actually is. For the difficult tasks of patient deliberation and discriminating political wisdom, a cult of sentimental humanitarianism--Neoliberalism's good cop to its bad cop of foreign military interventionism--substitutes the self-congratulatory ease of kneejerk emotional judgments, assuming that the 'right'...is immediately apparent from some instinctive apprehension of the 'good'. -AR

Haven
Guru

Post #7

Post by Haven »

Yes, calling Caitlyn Jenner out of her name is definitely uncivil and offensive. There have been other posts where people have misgendered trans people.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

Hamsaka
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Hamsaka »

Haven wrote: Yes, calling Caitlyn Jenner out of her name is definitely uncivil and offensive. There have been other posts where people have misgendered trans people.
That's putting it mildly. I've observed open mocking and trolling disguised as 'argument'. It is possible to not understand, and not 'agree', and whether you feel it or not, speak respectfully. I've seen rare members disregard even the pretense of respectful curiosity.

bluethread
Savant

Post #9

Post by bluethread »

Haven wrote: Quick note: please avoid the term "genderbending," it's considered offensive. "Gender non-conforming" is the more respectful term.
So, the OP of a thread objecting to transphobic language uses transphobic language in the OP? Interesting. By the way, have you noticed that transphobia is not recognized by the site spell check? How can we continue to post on such a backwards site? :tongue: Honestly, I think I am getting a little sophistphobic.

Wootah
Savant

Post #10

Post by Wootah »

Honestly if you knew anyone with a phobia you would understand how awfuly misused the phrase homophobia is.

I really dislike posts that use terms of mental/psychological illness to define others out of context.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."