Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

WinePusher
Scholar

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Post #1

Post by WinePusher »

Anyone seen it? Is it as good as the critics are making it out to be?

help3434
Guru

Post #11

Post by help3434 »

memyselfandI wrote: J.J. Abramms has successfully defended his crown as the worst makers of films that refresh old ideas and even worst is his attempts to revive past glories.
Really, we have, for example, all these crappy filmmakers that have done a lousy job of remaking iconic horror franchises from the 70s and 80s, and you call Abrams the worst at reviving past glories?
memyselfandI wrote: He absolutely devastated Star Trek.
Star Trek was devastated before JJ Abrams. Insurrection and Nemesis got mixed reviews from the critics and Nemesis did not do well at the box office. Star Trek Enterprise was canceled due to low Nielson ratings and its finale is considered one of the worst TV finales ever. JJ Abrams revitalized Star Trek with Star Trek 2009. It has a 95% fresh critical rating at Rotten Tomatoes and was a box office hit.
memyselfandI wrote: All he did to the second one is to remake one of the best Star Trek movies of all time and do a 180 on Spock and Kirk as who died in the end.
Yeah, I liked Into Darkness until it had Kirk die the same way Spock did in Wrath of Khan. That was pretty cringe worthy, and the movie did not get better after that.
memyselfandI wrote: This new Star Wars is much to long to leave you hanging as it did. I guess this guy is trying to copy the three movie thing that started with The Lord of the Rings.

Huh? The Lord of the Rings did not invent movie trilogies. The original Star Wars movies were a trilogy, remember?
memyselfandI wrote: I don't think I will be paying to see the rest of this movie, when it comes out.

I know there will be some here who think I've just spoiled a movie, but If you take in the cost of tickets, food and drinks times the number of people going, plus the inconvenience of going out and finding a parking space that you will have to remember on that walk of disappointment you will take after enduring this junk, you will in the end, thank me for it.
Considering it has an 89% audience approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and is currently is ranked as the top 119th movie at IMDb I don't think most people who saw it consider The Force Awakens a disappointment.

memyselfandI

Post #12

Post by memyselfandI »

As referancing post number 11.

BTW you guys really have to do something with your quote system it is appalling.

(1)
Horror movies are not done for their quality and don't have the fan bases that the movies of toady have. So I don't see your point in bringing their directors into this.

(2) Insurrection and Nemesis are from a new era of Star Trek and if the Star Trek finale was so bad, why was in syndication for so long.

(3) I disliked Into the darkness the same way I disliked the first Star Trek movie. Both were copies of other peoples work. The original idea was from a story in the original Star Trek where an Earth probe was altered by a alien race and sent back with a mission that would eradicate humanity.

(4) They were not a trilogy. They were a continuation of a central theme, but all had a begining and an ending separate from the movie before and that which followed. Trilogies continue from the beginning to the end without a break.

(5) You assume that those who respond to a web site are the lions share of those who veiw movies.

help3434
Guru

Post #13

Post by help3434 »

memyselfandI wrote:

Horror movies are not done for their quality and don't have the fan bases that the movies of toady have. So I don't see your point in bringing their directors into this.
Horror movies are made today, you are not making sense. Horror movies can be good, but since Horror is considered by too many to be a schlock genre they are often given to schlock directors. The director is very relevant.
memyselfandI wrote: (2) Insurrection and Nemesis are from a new era of Star Trek and if the Star Trek finale was so bad, why was in syndication for so long.
New Era? Those movies were Next Generation movies. You know, the franchise that started back in the 80s?

<snip>
memyselfandI wrote:
(4) They were not a trilogy. They were a continuation of a central theme, but all had a begining and an ending separate from the movie before and that which followed.
Look, The Empire Strikes Back is a great movie, but as a standalone movie it would have been pretty depressing. It needed Return of the Jedi to complete the story.
memyselfandI wrote: Trilogies continue from the beginning to the end without a break.
Trilogy Definition from dictionary.com:
1.a series or group of three plays, novels, operas, etc., that, although individually complete, are closely related in theme, sequence, or the like.
(in ancient Greek drama) a series of three complete and usually related tragedies performed at the festival of Dionysus and forming a tetralogy with the satyr play.
a group of three related things.
memyselfandI wrote: (5) You assume that those who respond to a web site are the lions share of those who veiw movies.
No, but they are far more representative than your personal opinion.

bluethread
Savant

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Post #14

Post by bluethread »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote:
WinePusher wrote: Anyone seen it? Is it as good as the critics are making it out to be?
None of the Star wars films have ever been as fresh and exciting as the first one. I doubt that any new film will ever be able to capture that sort of magic again. With that said, the new Star Wars film is worth seeing, if for no other reason than the joy of rediscovering Han Solo and Chewbacca all over again. The entire audience cheered when they first turned up.
It is important to note that the late 70's were a golden age for movies. Industrial Light and Magic, Rocky, Alien, Dolby Stereo, Airport, Earthquake . . . This combination of eye and ear candy made complicated story lines and intense acting unnecessary. It also lead to a golden age of parody in the 80's. This created a great sense of nostalgia in the late boomers and early Gen X. In the 40 years since then . . . , WOW has it been 40 years? . . . , the movie going public has become rather jaded as entertainment has become more personal in the information age. People expect more than good effects and loud noises these days.

memyselfandI

Post #15

Post by memyselfandI »

(1) I think I said
Horror movies are not done for their quality and don't have the fan bases that the movies of today have. So I don't see your point in bringing their directors into this.

you misread my post and then you say I'm not making any sense. Horror movies are about killing and the killed. That is all they encompass.

(2) next generation, new era. It is all the same. the techknowlogy that made Star Trek and Johnny Quest so appealing and the hope they gave the world was intoxicating. The original Star trek was produced during the 60's with racial changes and the high point in the cold war. People were getting hit up with negative steriotypes in sci fi and every other part of society.

Star Trek came along and not only had a women and not on a black actor, but a black women in the post of an officer. They had the first interracial kiss on T.V. They used the interactions of Spock and Mccoy to look into the human experience, culture and ideals.

The movies tried and failed to copy that and Star Trek TNG tried to rekindle that formula with Data, but there wasn't a Mccoy to play off of.

If you want to start getting snippy about your responces as this does
You know, the franchise that started back in the 80s?
I can easily leave this thread and take myself elsewhere. I'm into respect. i give it and I expect it back.

(3) There are many depressing movies.

(4) Please don't cherry pick my responses and then use dictionary evidence to go against what I said, without taking everything I stated as a whole thought. I'm beginning to get a better image of the person I'm discussing this with.

(5) no they are far more representative of individual opinions that have gone through a process of editing that none of us are aware of.

In this politically charged and money driven world I do not rate anything opinion orientated that I find on the internet, wither it comes from a site or not based on how much I agree with what I find there.

I make my own mind up and at last look I assumed that mine was welcomed here. Why are you saying that because you've found someplace that agrees with you, that they should be better acknowledged as truth than I am, simply because more people have had their opinion posted than I.

help3434
Guru

Post #16

Post by help3434 »

memyselfandI wrote: (1) I think I said
Horror movies are not done for their quality and don't have the fan bases that the movies of today have. So I don't see your point in bringing their directors into this.

you misread my post and then you say I'm not making any sense.
It doesn't make any sense. Horror movies are made today so saying that horror movies don't have the fan bases of movies today is self-contradictory. Horror movies that are made today are part of the movies of today, are they not?
memyselfandI wrote: Horror movies are about killing and the killed. That is all they encompass.
The good ones encompass a lot more than that. Atmosphere, mood, tension,interesting characters, a sense of dread, visual storytelling. Of course you need to have a good director to pull any of that off.
memyselfandI wrote: (2) next generation, new era. It is all the same. the techknowlogy that made Star Trek and Johnny Quest so appealing and the hope they gave the world was intoxicating. The original Star trek was produced during the 60's with racial changes and the high point in the cold war. People were getting hit up with negative steriotypes in sci fi and every other part of society.

Star Trek came along and not only had a women and not on a black actor, but a black women in the post of an officer. They had the first interracial kiss on T.V. They used the interactions of Spock and Mccoy to look into the human experience, culture and ideals.

The movies tried and failed to copy that and Star Trek TNG tried to rekindle that formula with Data, but there wasn't a Mccoy to play off of.
So by devastating Star Trek you meant that JJ Abrams ruined the characters from the original series? That was not clear from your original post. I thought you were talking about the entire Star Trek franchise.
memyselfandI wrote: (3) There are many depressing movies.
True, but the Star Wars movies aren't supposed to be among them. The Empire Strikes Back was never ended to be the end of the Star Wars saga. That would be like ending the hymn "Ring Out Wild Bells" with the verse that says
"And in despair I bowed my head;
"There is no peace on earth," I said;
"For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"
memyselfandI wrote:
In this politically charged and money driven world I do not rate anything opinion orientated that I find on the internet, wither it comes from a site or not based on how much I agree with what I find there.

I make my own mind up and at last look I assumed that mine was welcomed here. Why are you saying that because you've found someplace that agrees with you, that they should be better acknowledged as truth than I am, simply because more people have had their opinion posted than I.
At the end of post 10 in this thread you basically admit that you intentionally spoiled the movie to spare people from disappointment. Spoiling movies without giving spoiler warnings in order to stop people from seeing it is an underhanded tactic. Why don't you give other people the same courtesy of allowing them to make up their own mind?

help3434
Guru

Post #17

Post by help3434 »

bluethread wrote: People expect more than good effects and loud noises these days.
Then why do the Transformer movies make so much money?

help3434
Guru

Post #18

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 16 by help3434]

Sorry, the hymn referred to in post 16 is "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" not "Ring out Wild Bells"

memyselfandI

Post #19

Post by memyselfandI »

help3434 wrote:
memyselfandI wrote: (1) I think I said

you misread my post and then you say I'm not making any sense.
It doesn't make any sense. Horror movies are made today so saying that horror movies don't have the fan bases of movies today is self-contradictory. Horror movies that are made today are part of the movies of today, are they not?
memyselfandI wrote: Horror movies are about killing and the killed. That is all they encompass.
The good ones encompass a lot more than that. Atmosphere, mood, tension,interesting characters, a sense of dread, visual storytelling. Of course you need to have a good director to pull any of that off.
memyselfandI wrote: (2) next generation, new era. It is all the same. the techknowlogy that made Star Trek and Johnny Quest so appealing and the hope they gave the world was intoxicating. The original Star trek was produced during the 60's with racial changes and the high point in the cold war. People were getting hit up with negative steriotypes in sci fi and every other part of society.

So by devastating Star Trek you meant that JJ Abrams ruined the characters from the original series? That was not clear from your original post. I thought you were talking about the entire Star Trek franchise.
memyselfandI wrote: (3) There are many depressing movies.
True, but the Star Wars movies aren't supposed to be among them. The Empire Strikes Back was never ended to be the end of the Star Wars saga. That would be like ending the hymn "Ring Out Wild Bells" with the verse that says
"And in despair I bowed my head;
"There is no peace on earth," I said;
"For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"
memyselfandI wrote:

At the end of post 10 in this thread you basically admit that you intentionally spoiled the movie to spare people from disappointment. Spoiling movies without giving spoiler warnings in order to stop people from seeing it is an underhanded tactic. Why don't you give other people the same courtesy of allowing them to make up their own mind?
Dude. For some reason we are not connecting here. I don't understand how you can reach conclusions so far from what I was talking about. I replied to every one of your points from the post I was responding to and you've not connected any of that.

The idea that there is a fan base for something just because that thing is still aound is rather humourious.People write books all the time, but does that make those who by them fans or just people wanting a cheep thrill?

The image of several thousand acne-faced kids laying down their money to see their girlfriend jump, scream and move closer to them is one that keeps these blood bath flicks on the market, but these people grow up and become more sophisticated.

Horror flicts are for those who on on their way to being adults. Sci-fi francises are for the kids in all of us who will never grow up and they stay with what is comfortable until the last.

bluethread
Savant

Post #20

Post by bluethread »

help3434 wrote:
bluethread wrote: People expect more than good effects and loud noises these days.
Then why do the Transformer movies make so much money?
Good point. However, theater attendance has been declining since it's high in 2003. TV devastated the theater industry in the '60's. It has remained relatively stable since then, with a relatively slight decline over the last decade. However, this is due to efficiencies in theater construction(cineplexes), and the increase in special effects. In the current culture, these innovations do not impress for as long as they used to. So, the trend appears to be toward more personalized entertainment and less toward mass appeal, IMO. The real money these days is in the developing markets world wide.