In his image

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

In his image

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

The Bible and Christendom appear to promote the idea that humans were created "in his image" by "God".

1) Who recorded the event?

2) What offers assurance that any such claims and stories are true?

3) Exactly what is the meaning of "in his image"?

4) What aspects of humans are the "image" of God?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Inigo Montoya
Guru

Re: In his image

Post #2

Post by Inigo Montoya »

Zzyzx wrote: .
The Bible and Christendom appear to promote the idea that humans were created "in his image" by "God".

Moses? Right before he wrote about what it was like to die.

It's assurances you want? The bible is historical history, or have you learned nothing this past 6 weeks? If you doubt, it's your own bias against the supernatural and you may as well forget about thinking Caesar the Hun existed.

"In his image" means anything between bipedal locomotion and ape-like features to meaning a duality betwixt us regarding abstract thought, pure energy, and a capacity for emotion. Take your pick, I'll be ready.

These are getting too easy, Z

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #3

Post by Kenisaw »

[Replying to Zzyzx]

I guess it means that god also has blind spots in his vision, an involuntary knee reflex, and a sanitary line running through his recreational area...

You'd think he would have made us better than "his image"....

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Danmark »

Kenisaw wrote: [Replying to Zzyzx]

I guess it means that god also has blind spots in his vision, an involuntary knee reflex, and a sanitary line running through his recreational area...

Exactly. This is the point of the thread:
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 942#780942
It's obvious man created god in man's image. It is the only logical conclusion despite the fact it is contrary to what Genesis claims. But, as Z points out in the OP, who was around to record these events in Genesis about the creation of man. No one, according to the story itself. So here we have the essential problem apologists must struggle with: It is mere men claiming god told them so.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #5

Post by Divine Insight »

There seems to be an obvious problem.

If we were created in the physical image of God, then why are we so physically inept?

If we were created in the image of God's character, then why are we so screwed up in character.?

If we were created in the image of God's "spirit" then why are we so spiritually screwed up?

This must be an extreme nightmare for any intelligent theologian who is hoping to take this stuff seriously.

As Danmark has so correctly pointed out, to simply recognize that man created God in his own image solves ALL PROBLEMS leaving nothing left unresolved.

After all, why would a perfect righteous omniscient God be jealous, wrathful, impatient, male-chauvinistic, approve of slavery, etc, etc, etc.

Sounds all too human to me. Man created God seems to solve all problems in one fell swoop. :D
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by rikuoamero »

Danmark wrote:
Kenisaw wrote: [Replying to Zzyzx]

Exactly. This is the point of the thread:
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 942#780942
It's obvious man created god in man's image. It is the only logical conclusion despite the fact it is contrary to what Genesis claims. But, as Z points out in the OP, who was around to record these events in Genesis about the creation of man. No one, according to the story itself. So here we have the essential problem apologists must struggle with: It is mere men claiming god told them so.
Even on the outside chance that mortal men DID hear a magical voice saying something...why believe it? What happened to double checking, to finding evidence to support claims? What if this magical voice said something false for laughs and giggles?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

Zzyzx wrote: .

1) Moses is reported to be the person. It's both very relevant to understanding the Bible and irrelevant in the sense that it is believed that God is the author.

2) History and my faith in what I have found as I follow Christ

3) It means that to some extent we can relate to God. We know that the love or anger we have is somewhat like God's love or anger.

4) The metaphysical ones. Emotions, logic, personality. That's not exhaustive.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Zzyzx wrote:
Amongst Merriam-Websters definition of image, is the following:

a : exact likeness : semblance <God created man in his own image — Genesis 1:27(Revised Standard Version)>

b : a person strikingly like another person <she is the image of her mother>
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/image
So based on the above I would say the words "in his [God's] image" to mean "in the exact likeness" of God", "resembing/in the semblance of God" "strikingly like God"
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Zzyzx wrote:4) What aspects of humans are the "image" of God?
In my opinion, humans are "like" God in that we have similar qualities to him such as the ability to reason and be creative, to display a higher degree of love, compassion, empathy ... as well as the capacity to appreciate art, beauty, justice ... etc.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Willum
Savant

Post #10

Post by Willum »

[Replying to Divine Insight]

Guys, guys, guys!
I hate to take the side of religionists on this one, but if God was an implication of what he is suppose to be, then translating that to the physical realm would mean trade-offs.

God doesn't pee or sex, so there might be, from an engineering point of view, an elegance in shoving all those systems together.

It's really kind of a great gag or insult, when you think of it, especially if, as we should logically conjecture, we were re-designed AFTER he fall.

God: "Eat my apples will they? Lets not only make 'em sex, but make children come from the waste chute! - Even I think that's gross."

But then, when you think of it, it IS very logical - think of the other waste chute, every day, we "give birth," to or create millions of tiny lives, and then flush 'em away.

Hardly, in retrospect, the design of an all-loving God. In my mind, it tells us exactly what he'd been thinking about us, if he existed to create us.

If he does exist, by the way, before I go screaming happily into the pit to join Gandhi, he is going to get a piece of my mind about the human back. I don't have back trouble myself, but it is an engineering nightmare.

Written in cordial tone and with otherwise highest regards,