Are there any gay relationships in the Bible?

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Are there any gay relationships in the Bible?

Post #1

Post by Checkpoint »

I do not find any, but others do.

Some say David and Jonathan were in love, had sex, and were even married.

They also cite Ruth and Naomi as being similar.

How do you read David and Jonathan, and Ruth and Naomi?

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #31

Post by Kenisaw »

Statistically speaking some of the people in the Bible were gay. Who they were or how they might have related to the story of Jesus I don't think anyone can say with a very high degree of confidence.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #32

Post by Checkpoint »

Kenisaw wrote: Statistically speaking some of the people in the Bible were gay. Who they were or how they might have related to the story of Jesus I don't think anyone can say with a very high degree of confidence.
Exactly.

I think they are about 3 per 100 people, which is hardly a blip on the horizon, as it were.

Those who confidently say this or that person in the Bible was gay, are just expressing an opinion that fits in with their possible bias.

marco
Savant

Post #33

Post by marco »

Checkpoint wrote:
horizon, as it were.

Those who confidently say this or that person in the Bible was gay, are just expressing an opinion that fits in with their possible bias.
1 Samuel 20, 41 is interesting if one wants to exercise such bias about David and Jonathan:

"and they kissed one another and wept one with another until David EXCEEDED."

The archaic meaning of exceed is to pass water or fluid but I understand the original word being translated is: "gadal" which means "to become large or great." If David loved Jonathan with a love surpassing that of women, then such a reaction would be understandable.
For those unable to accept that David could react in this way, we can say that David's grief exceeded that of Jonathan's - for whatever reason.