Jesus didnot resurrect himself.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

dio9
Under Probation

Jesus didnot resurrect himself.

Post #1

Post by dio9 »

Jesus did not resurrect himself , It was God who resurrected him.

agree , disagree?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Jesus didnot resurrect himself.

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by dio9]

I agree. Jesus conferred his spirit to God when he died saying "Into your hand I commit my spirit" and the bible explicitly states in Acts 2:32: "God raised Jesus from the dead, and we are all witnesses of this."

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

tigger2
Sage

Post #3

Post by tigger2 »

Eph. 1:17, 19, 20 -

“that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of Glory ..., according to the working of his great might which he accomplished in Christ when he raised him from the dead and made him sit at his right hand [cf. Ps. 110:1, 2; Acts 2:34-36; and Ro. 8:34] in the heavenly places� - RSV.

And 1 Thess. 1:9, 10 -

“how you turned to God from idols to serve a living and true God [John 17:3] and to wait for His Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, Jesus� - RSV. Also see Acts 10:40; 13:30, 33, 34, 37; Ro. 4:24; 6:4; 8:11; 10:9; 1 Cor. 6:14; 2 Cor. 4:14; Col. 2:12; 1 Peter 1:21; etc.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 3 by tigger2]

So many billions of lives are lived an forgotten but Jesus is still with us. Still powerful on our minds and hearts , healing and covering our sins.

Question : is the resurrected Jesus the same as the historic man?

I'll answer my own question , no . Resurrected Jesus does not have the nature of man. The resurrected God/Man only has the nature of God. In this sense the resurrected Jesus is Divine.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #5

Post by Elijah John »

dio9 wrote: [Replying to post 3 by tigger2]

So many billions of lives are lived an forgotten but Jesus is still with us. Still powerful on our minds and hearts , healing and covering our sins.

Question : is the resurrected Jesus the same as the historic man?

I'll answer my own question , no . Resurrected Jesus does not have the nature of man. The resurrected God/Man only has the nature of God. In this sense the resurrected Jesus is Divine.
That seems a reasonable distinction made between the Jesus of history and the Christ of Faith.

Many scholars would agree with that distinction. Or as Marcus Borg puts it, the "pre-Easter" and the "post-Easter" Jesus.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 5 by Elijah John]

Yes Martin Borg I've read his books and what he says is in agreement with what I think. When I read what he wrote I said yes he has put in words what i think. That's how I judge what I believe is true, when it resonates .

onewithhim
Savant

Post #7

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 1 by dio9]

I agree that Jesus did not resurrect himself. The following verses are typical of what the Bible tells us:

Peter said: "Men of Israel, listen to these words: Jesus the Nazarene, a man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders and signs which God performed through him in your midst, just as you yourselves know---this man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put him to death. But God raised him up again, putting an end to the agony of death, since it was impossible for him to be held in its power." (Acts 2:22-24, NASB)

:flower:

dio9
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by dio9 »

onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 1 by dio9]

I agree that Jesus did not resurrect himself. The following verses are typical of what the Bible tells us:

Peter said: "Men of Israel, listen to these words: Jesus the Nazarene, a man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders and signs which God performed through him in your midst, just as you yourselves know---this man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put him to death. But God raised him up again, putting an end to the agony of death, since it was impossible for him to be held in its power." (Acts 2:22-24, NASB)

I take issue with the idea that God's plan was for Jesus to suffer. It is too simplistic. I have to disagree with the writer of this letter. God didn't plan it.

Like many prophets before him Jesus suffered for his people contrary to God's desire, God desires faith and trust in Him and his prophets, faith and trust .

Moses said to the people choose life. God's will is life not death. Maybe it's what usually happens but God does not want his prophets to suffer ,let alone his own son to suffer for the people. God's predetermination it that the people believe in him and his prophets and love Him and them with all their heart and mind.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by polonius »

RESPONSE: Yes. This passage by Luke is perhaps the last passage before John which showed that Jesus was NOT divine himself. He was designated as the Messiah, but not a divine member of the Trinity.

Everything he did was by God's power, never his own!

onewithhim
Savant

Post #10

Post by onewithhim »

dio9 wrote:

I take issue with the idea that God's plan was for Jesus to suffer. It is too simplistic. I have to disagree with the writer of this letter. God didn't plan it.

Like many prophets before him Jesus suffered for his people contrary to God's desire, God desires faith and trust in Him and his prophets, faith and trust .

Moses said to the people choose life. God's will is life not death. Maybe it's what usually happens but God does not want his prophets to suffer ,let alone his own son to suffer for the people. God's predetermination it that the people believe in him and his prophets and love Him and them with all their heart and mind.
I agree with you on that too. Jehovah did not plan for Jesus to die before he created humans. "The predetermined plan" was a plan that God came up with after Adam rebelled, not before. After the "world" (of mankind alienated from God) came into being, by Adam disobeying, THEN God instituted a plan for the future---from that point on. When the Bible says that God formed the plan "before the foundation of the world," that doesn't mean before he made the earth. It means before Adam caused mankind to become alienated from God, by rebelling and bringing sin and death into the world. Thus all of his progeny would be "the world," or, mankind alienated from God. "The world" started with Cain.

I also believe that Jehovah wants love and peace. No death. This will come about soon, when all evil is banished from the earth.