What is the "fake news" Hillary is complaining abo

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

What is the "fake news" Hillary is complaining abo

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

HRC is calling for legislation that would prohibit "fake news".

Just wondering, what is she referring to?

What are some examples of "fake news"?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #31

Post by 2Dbunk »

I would like to address the OP that a lot of fake news was offered by the candidates themselves in the presidential debates and campaigns. They are still called LIES.

Perjury is a punishable offense in a trial. Are court trials more important than vetting a person to lead this country? Billy Bush loses his job at NBC after the disastrous exposure of his sexual conversation with Donald Trump in the "BusGate" taped open mic affair. Yet Trump escapes retribution because the Irredeemable Deplorables of this country saw fit to make him the anointed one in their hearts and on their ballots. Without that tape, Bush and Trump would have denied that it ever happened.

My point is, what is said in a presidential campaign should be accounted for by review of an independent commission. We have rules in sporting events: instant replays, impartial referees and umpires -- why not implement an impartial commission to dampen down the out-of-control rhetoric? I am saddened at the prospect of what we can expect four years from now. The gibberish and bluster reached a new low for demeanor and truth in this past election. If we are going to continue to be the bright shining light of Democracy, something has to change!

Of course, who is going to be impartial? Sandra Day O'Conner, Supreme Court Justice in 2000, who wouldn't abstain, voted to overrule the Florida Supreme Ct. in that presidential election "because I'm a Republican" she said in an interview No, it has to be better than that! I propose a 5, 7, or 9 member commission of equal number of Republican & Democratic members with a tie breaker of a Commission chosen and elected third party representative vetted for their impartiality.

The Commission would meet every one or two weeks to review debate rhetoric and significant campaign speeches. The Commission would be funded from taxpayers checking "donate' on their tax returns. They would have access to historical data bases and audio/video files of the major news organizations (not Facebook or YouTube or any other social media).

Reviewable items (potential falsehoods) would be brought to the Commission's attention and reviewed for factual verification. Blatant offenses would be tabulated, and the amount tabulated in one Commission session may or may not add up to a tipping point that would then receive punishment. The punishment should be in the form of taking an electoral vote from the offender to be then counted in the column of the other candidate.

The American election is the biggest game on the planet -- why shouldn't there be HARD RULES with HARD CONSEQUENCES? Few of us can stomach another election like this one past

4insight
Student

Post #32

Post by 4insight »

2Dbunk wrote:

I would like to address the OP that a lot of fake news was offered by the candidates themselves in the presidential debates and campaigns. They are still called LIES.

Perjury is a punishable offense in a trial. Are court trials more important than vetting a person to lead this country? Billy Bush loses his job at NBC after the disastrous exposure of his sexual conversation with Donald Trump in the "BusGate" taped open mic affair. Yet Trump escapes retribution because the Irredeemable Deplorables of this country saw fit to make him the anointed one in their hearts and on their ballots. Without that tape, Bush and Trump would have denied that it ever happened.

My point is, what is said in a presidential campaign should be accounted for by review of an independent commission. We have rules in sporting events: instant replays, impartial referees and umpires -- why not implement an impartial commission to dampen down the out-of-control rhetoric? I am saddened at the prospect of what we can expect four years from now. The gibberish and bluster reached a new low for demeanor and truth in this past election. If we are going to continue to be the bright shining light of Democracy, something has to change!

Of course, who is going to be impartial? Sandra Day O'Conner, Supreme Court Justice in 2000, who wouldn't abstain, voted to overrule the Florida Supreme Ct. in that presidential election "because I'm a Republican" she said in an interview No, it has to be better than that! I propose a 5, 7, or 9 member commission of equal number of Republican & Democratic members with a tie breaker of a Commission chosen and elected third party representative vetted for their impartiality.

The Commission would meet every one or two weeks to review debate rhetoric and significant campaign speeches. The Commission would be funded from taxpayers checking "donate' on their tax returns. They would have access to historical data bases and audio/video files of the major news organizations (not Facebook or YouTube or any other social media).

Reviewable items (potential falsehoods) would be brought to the Commission's attention and reviewed for factual verification. Blatant offenses would be tabulated, and the amount tabulated in one Commission session may or may not add up to a tipping point that would then receive punishment. The punishment should be in the form of taking an electoral vote from the offender to be then counted in the column of the other candidate.

The American election is the biggest game on the planet -- why shouldn't there be HARD RULES with HARD CONSEQUENCES? Few of us can stomach another election like this one past
What has gotten Hillary to lose this election, it was not because Trump knows how to talk dirty around other men in privacy. But it were behind her lies at the hearings and her greed. Did you know that Hillary had a lot of women supporters until they has found out her ties with Monsanto. That she supported GMO's and which a lot of mothers doesn't want that stuff fed to their children. And her others dealings with corporate america. But the mainstream media will not let you know this. And since the people doesn't knows anything about these stories, that it shows that they are, the establishment, are trying their best to have control over the media. They has been having an annual world wide march against Monsanto over the past few years, but it was never aired on T.V. But nobody did not know about that because corporate America told them to not air it. Did you know that Putin has banned that stuff from entering his country? I know that George Soros did not like that since he is one of the owners of Monsanto. But now our military are corporations attack dogs.

Here's an important information that proves that we doesn't need the government involvement having control over the media.

Hillary Clinton's devotion to Monsanto's GMOs scares away Democrat voters

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/049791_Hilla ... z4SakH0d9L

Scientist Who Discovered GMOs Cause Tumors in Rats Wins Landmark Defamation Lawsuit in Paris http://www.march-against-monsanto.com/s ... -in-paris/

If Hillary Clinton wants to shut down the populist surge of Sen. Bernie Sanders once and for all, she'll need to do a better job of explaining, and perhaps untangling, her complicated romance with Wall Street.

This includes not only the massive donations her campaign and the Clinton Foundation have received from gigantic financial firms, but the private speeches she has delivered to banking executives for eye-popping sums in excess of $250,000 per talk. http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/18/opinions/ ... index.html

KenRU
Guru

Re: What is the "fake news" Hillary is complaining

Post #33

Post by KenRU »

Divine Insight wrote:
KenRU wrote: Let's agree that some schools are better then others, and for the record, so what? I teach my son to believe things based upon evidence, reason and logical thinking.

The parents are more responsible then the schools, imo.
I totally agree. Still, the law already has their foot in the door on this one with having made schooling mandatory.
Mandating education is not the same thing as mandating critical thinking. Being educated does not mean one will automatically think critically, and/or be discerning. Nor will it prevent bias.
That's the point I was making about legislation already being involved.
I understand your point, I'm just not sure I agree with you on its relevance to this thread.

Its the equivalent of saying that since the government mandates education, it should also outlaw overeating.
I'm not saying whether this is good or bad, but only to point out that they're already involved.
Understood. I don't see how the government getting involved with media regulation or my diet (to follow my analogy) is a good thing.

(though I confess I could stand to lose some weight, lol)

-all the best
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

Rufus21
Scholar

Post #34

Post by Rufus21 »

4insight wrote: But the mainstream media will not let you know this.
Or perhaps the mainstream media knows that it is all lies? For example:
4insight wrote: Clinton's Planned Parenthood ties run deep http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/h ... ies-120794
The Planned Parenthood video is know to be a hoax just like the ACORN hoax back in 2009. I checked a few of the links you posted and they are all examples of what this thread is warning against - fake news. YouTube is full of conspiracy theories and debunked hoaxes, and you have shown us many of them.

But I wonder: would labeling these videos with "ratings" as suggested above help prevent his? Is seems like many people WANT to believe the lies rather than the truth. We've all seen this happen in the Apologetics forum, and the Political forum is no different.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #35

Post by DanieltheDragon »

Rufus21 wrote:
4insight wrote: Clinton's Planned Parenthood ties run deep http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/h ... ies-120794
The Planned Parenthood video is know to be a hoax just like the ACORN hoax back in 2009. I checked a few of the links you posted and they are all examples of what this thread is warning against - fake news. YouTube is full of conspiracy theories and debunked hoaxes, and you have shown us many of them.

But I wonder: would labeling these videos with "ratings" as suggested above help prevent his? Is seems like many people WANT to believe the lies rather than the truth. We've all seen this happen in the Apologetics forum, and the Political forum is no different.
People who are susceptible to believing in conspiracy theories would think the ratings are a conspiracy though. It never really stops. Just look at the flat earthers or the fake moon landing folks. You could literally land them on the moon and they wouldn't believe it.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

4insight
Student

Post #36

Post by 4insight »

DanieltheDragon wrote:
Rufus21 wrote:

People who are susceptible to believing in conspiracy theories would think the ratings are a conspiracy though. It never really stops. Just look at the flat earthers or the fake moon landing folks. You could literally land them on the moon and they wouldn't believe it.
Well, some conspiracy theories are true.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #37

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Elijah John wrote: HRC is calling for legislation that would prohibit "fake news".

Wikileaks Pretty Sure Hillary Clinton Is A Child Sex Trafficker Now, It Is Just Obvious
http://wonkette.com/608246/wikileaks-pr ... jhUFfwb.99

THe Blaze
Armed man enters D.C. pizza parlor, inspired by fake news

A man armed with an assault rifle entered a pizza parlor in an upscale Washington, D.C., neighborhood Sunday apparently inspired by a false news report that the establishment was working with Hillary Clinton to run a child sex ring.

Edgar Maddison Welch, of Salisbury, N.C., told police he walked in the front door of Comet Ping Pong in Chevy Chase and pointed a firearm in the direction of a restaurant employee in an attempt to “self-investigate� the conspiracy theory that circulated online during Clinton’s campaign.
http://www.theblaze.com/news/2016/12/04 ... fake-news/

Republican candidates have discovered that they can make up absolutely anything, and if it serves to confirm Republican suspicions or condemn their political opponents their Republican constituents will believe it. Even if it has no connection to anything valid or true, or how obviously absurd it might be.

Politifacts
Trump, Clinton debate fact-checks (a running collection)

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... ct-checks/

Politifacts
Truth check: Clinton and Trump on the Truth-O-Meter

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... er-1-week/

The fact that Donald Trump told half truths and bald faced lies throughout the campaign had absolutely no impact on his followers.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

bluethread
Savant

Post #38

Post by bluethread »

KenRU wrote:
Divine Insight wrote:
KenRU wrote: Let's agree that some schools are better then others, and for the record, so what? I teach my son to believe things based upon evidence, reason and logical thinking.

I totally agree. Still, the law already has their foot in the door on this one with having made schooling mandatory.
Mandating education is not the same thing as mandating critical thinking. Being educated does not mean one will automatically think critically, and/or be discerning. Nor will it prevent bias.

Mandating education often leads to a lack of critical thinking and discernment, and is sometimes designed to create bias, ie. the Hitler Youth, the Palestinian Authority and IMO even many of the public schools in these United States. IMNSHO, most mandates are counter productive. They cheapen the value in the eyes of the reluctant and waste resources that are better spent on those who actually want what is being mandated.

KenRU
Guru

Post #39

Post by KenRU »

bluethread wrote:
KenRU wrote:
Divine Insight wrote:

Mandating education often leads to a lack of critical thinking and discernment, and is sometimes designed to create bias, ie. the Hitler Youth, the Palestinian Authority and IMO even many of the public schools in these United States.
IMO, it is not productive to tie education (a generic term) to this conversation. One can be taught critical thinking, and that is a form of education. I know in my college and high school (public, btw), I was taught the value of critical thinking.

My experience in the public school system and college (plus my wife is a public school teacher)is that you get what you (you being generic) put into it.
IMNSHO, most mandates are counter productive. They cheapen the value in the eyes of the reluctant and waste resources that are better spent on those who actually want what is being mandated.
I don't think a mandate for education is a bad thing, quite the opposite, imho. I believe it is a lofty goal, and I fail to see how any parent who can't afford private schools would think otherwise.

-all the best
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

bluethread
Savant

Post #40

Post by bluethread »

KenRU wrote:
bluethread wrote:
Mandating education often leads to a lack of critical thinking and discernment, and is sometimes designed to create bias, ie. the Hitler Youth, the Palestinian Authority and IMO even many of the public schools in these United States.
IMO, it is not productive to tie education (a generic term) to this conversation. One can be taught critical thinking, and that is a form of education. I know in my college and high school (public, btw), I was taught the value of critical thinking.

My experience in the public school system and college (plus my wife is a public school teacher)is that you get what you (you being generic) put into it.
Hence the folly of the mandate. Mandates discourage competition and competition drives innovation and excellence. Done badly, they (mandates) divert resources to wasteful practices. Done well, they waste resources on those who do not value them.
IMNSHO, most mandates are counter productive. They cheapen the value in the eyes of the reluctant and waste resources that are better spent on those who actually want what is being mandated.
I don't think a mandate for education is a bad thing, quite the opposite, imho. I believe it is a lofty goal, and I fail to see how any parent who can't afford private schools would think otherwise.

-all the best
If it is so widely viewed as a lofty goal, no mandate is necessary. One can not mandate education, one can only mandate access. However, when one mandates universal access, those who value education are hindered by those who do not and those who do not, value it even less due to the lack of personal cost. Therefore, as with any commodity, the market is the best means of distributing education to those who value it most.