Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

What is God responsible for?

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Many things were done in God's name:
But what is he responsible for?

When the Catholic Nazi Germany attempts a genocide, a man is blamed.
When Hebrews commit genocide on the Canaan, it is his will.

We have plagues, on Catholic countries, for example. The Dark Ages were committed in Yahweh's name. Were they?

Why would Yahweh plunge the civilization of Rome, with health, farming and sanitation, back into the primitive squalor of ancient Jerusalem, if so?

If not, why did he not stop such a terror? It seems to be in His purview.

How does one determine if an act is done in God's will, or men's will?
Does the Bible tell us?

Understanding that free will is a constraint - we can also understand that mob's and large numbers of people lose free will, does this fall into God's purview, then?

In short, how does one know what God is responsible for;
Any group decision?
A decision influenced by prayer?

The position is that presented by Romans 13:
Obey the rulers who have authority over you. Only God can give authority to anyone, and he puts these rulers in their places of power. 2 People who oppose the authorities are opposing what God has done, and they will be punished. 3 Rulers are a threat to evil people, not to good people. There is no need to be afraid of the authorities. Just do right, and they will praise you for it. 4 After all, they are God’s servants, and it is their duty to help you.
The position of the OP is: those atrocities committed by governments, God's will, and he is responsible for them.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #241

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 240 by dio9]

I don't think God is in any way responsible for the bad things humans do.

being RESPONSIBLE has been defined as: "2. being the primary cause of something and so able to be blamed or credited for it."

# 1 OBJECTION: But God created humans, isn't he therefore the cause of their bad acts?

Being the life giver of a human doesn't render you eternally responsible for their acts. Even secular courts recognize this and do not hold parents responsible for the criminal acts of their adult children. Arguably in this, they are recongizing an individuals's "free will" ie their ability to decide (and be held responsible) for their actions.

# 2 OBJECTION: But isn't God responsible for the bad things since he knew humans would be capable of doing bad things?

Most parents know there is at least the possibility their children will grow up to be murders, rapists, thieves or child abusers. Still they share the gift of life and give their children the best possible education and assistance to ensure that this doesn't happen. If it does, despite the parents efforts then the child is responsible for the suffering it causes, not the parents.

# 3 OBJECTION But parents don't know for sure everything their children will do

This is true, God can know everything, but just because God has the power know everyting before it has happened, it doesn't mean God chose to exercise his powers all the time. Just as someone can read the last page of a novel first if he so chooses, God can use his powers of foreknoweldge selectively. In short, God doesn't seek to know every detail of everything that will happen in the future, on an individual level Jehovah learns about our decisions as we make them.

# 4 OBJECTION: But God even if God is selective about details, he must have known the sin of Adam and Eve would result in great human suffering.

This is true but knowing Something will happen still doesn't render you responsible for it happening. If you know someone is going to rob a bank, did you rob the bank? In if caught, will the authorities let the robber go free and put the person that knew it would happen in prison? Obviously, in this situation, the person that had foreknowledge would share some responsibility but that would not free the individual from his own responsibility for going through with his plan. In a similar vein, the excuse "God knew I suffering would happen so he is therefore responsible for it." is faulty reasoning as it implies humans are not responsible for the bad they do.

# 5 OBJECTION Even if humans share their responsibility isn't God partly responsible since he could have stopped it?

That would depend on if stopping it would have been the morally right thing to do or not. Stopping actions isn't always the right thing to do (for example stopping an ambulance from getting to the scene of an accident, would be morally wrong). So we have to ask, was there a morally justifiable reason for God's decision to allow people to make their bad choices. Just as a parent will allow his child to suffer a painful operation for the long term benefits, so Jehovah is allowing suffering in the short term for humanities long term benefits.

# 6 OBJECTION: What benefits could possibly come from allow suffering?

Adam and Eve raised some issues that it would take time to settle. This included the issue of whether humans would be better off Under God's rule or as humans totally independent of Him. The above had to be demonstrated to be false but this would take time. So the permission of evil is a situation of God making a short term decision for the long term good.

CONCLUSION: God is not responsible for the bad humans do. He created them as free moral agents so each individual is ultimately responsible for any bad he does.

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

FREE WILL, SELECTIVE FOREKNOWLEDGE and ... RESPONSIBILITY
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Re: What is God responsible for?

Post #242

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 238 by hoghead1]

[center]
Some people have trouble being challenged.[/center]

hoghead1 wrote:
If you are going to personally attack me, writing me off as "sematic playfulness" and "bluster," then I don't see how we can have a meaningful dialogue.
I will repeat the offer: if you need help with creating a thread where you can solidly defend the position you hold so confidently, I will gladly be of service.

However, if you insist that all I'm offering is personal offense, then it's quite possible that no meaningful discussion of your ideas will be possible, as I DO criticize people's ideas.

A lot.

JUST TO BE CLEAR:

1. If someone plays with words as a form of argument, that's being playful with semantics, perhaps, but not really engaging in serious philosophy.
2. If someone claims to be able to defend his positions but doesn't actually do that, it could be imagined that this person is engaging in "bluster".
3. If someone criticizes an argument, it is NOT the same as "attacking the person". In my opinion, you were engaged in semantic games, and a bit of "bluster". This is an "attack" on your ideas, not your person. If my assessment is wrong, there is one SURE FIRE way to prove that assessment wrong.
4. If someone isn't intending either bluster or semantic game playing, one should get to other pursuits. In other words, if the shoe doesn't fit, one should put some that DO and get TO the discussions. But in debates, what we write is criticized at times. A lot of people have trouble accepting that.

:)

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #243

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 241 by JehovahsWitness]

[center]Being angry at something that one wanted[/center]

JehovahsWitness wrote:

being RESPONSIBLE has been defined as: "2. being the primary cause of something and so able to be blamed or credited for it."

Thank you for giving us a definition for your term "responsible".
I wish more people would do that.

Question:

• IF you consider God the primary cause of humanity and so able to be blamed or credited for it, is our free will and the capacity to exert it not something that God WILLED? Why would this god be so upset by people choosing something else than what he wants?

:smileright: :smileleft:

dio9
Under Probation

Post #244

Post by dio9 »

God is life as Jesus said John 17:3 "and this is eternal life that they may know you". Talking about spiritual life , the life of Jesus is spiritual. If you come to believe in Jesus you can have it too . If not , well I hesitate to call it hell but rather spiritually dead, this is the meaning of Jesus bringing the dead back to life and his own resurrection. Similarly the blind deaf lame and sick mean spiritually blind and lame. Eternal life is more than physical life.
Matt. 19 :16 "if you want eternal life keep the commandments". 19:29 , if you believe in Jesus you will inherit this eternal . 25:46, the righteous will inherit eternal life.
What is God responsible for? God is responsible for our eternal life.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #245

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 244 by dio9]

[center]
God the metaphor
[/center]

dio9 wrote:
God is life

I have to pause here...

What does this mean?
  • 1. Does it mean that whenever we see the word "life", we can substitute the word "God"?
    2. Fish have God.
    3. Plants, God.
    4. Rocks don't have God
    5. Dancing is my God.
    6. Whatever isn't dead, is God.
    7. God is metabolism.
    8. God is the period of time between birth and death
    9. God is a way or manner of living. Such as "Being gay".
    10. God is being gay.
    11. For others, God is pretty darn sad
    12. God is the length of time that batteries are useful. Some have "long God".
    13. God is, as we all know, is the life of the party. Dance, drink, and be gay, that's God.
    14. For some, God is good.
    15. For others, God is not so good.

Question:

• In what way do you mean that "God is life"?

:smileright: :smileleft:

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #246

Post by ttruscott »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 222 by ttruscott]

So he is responsible for choosing something.
How can we know?
Mmmmm, I only knew when HE chose me so I can't say about other methods of knowing. Being chosen on earth is a process or a moment that is knowable and cannot be mistaken...though apparently a fake conversion can be quite dramatic and a true conversion may be quite quiet, a slow growth into His Spirit.

You do remember post 222 suggests we had to first accept what HE was offering because we thought it would give us the most happiness before HE chose us?
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #247

Post by ttruscott »

Willum wrote:TiredofNonsense put in a Psalms reference, and that seems to be the winner. If you want to beat that, you need to beat Psalms.
Willum wrote:Right now Psalms are in the pot. It's the hand you need to beat.
Without a reference to what TotN quoted and meant by his quote, this is fairly meaningless...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #248

Post by ttruscott »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 240 by dio9]

# 1 OBJECTION: But God created humans, isn't he therefore the cause of their bad acts?

Being the life giver of a human doesn't render you eternally responsible for their acts. Even secular courts recognize this and do not hold parents responsible for the criminal acts of their adult children. Arguably in this, they are recongizing an individuals's "free will" ie their ability to decide (and be held responsible) for their actions.
BUT elsewhere you have argued that our creation in Adam did create us as imperfect and prone to sin ...therefore HE IS RESPONSIBLE for our sin, no?

Your mention to the term responsible as referring to a cause is interesting. I have in the past argued that HE was indeed the cause of sin because HE created us with a free will able to choose to sin but HE was NOT RESPONSIBLE for sin because HE did not want us to choose sin but we did against HIS will. Hmmmmm....

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #249

Post by ttruscott »

JehovahsWitness wrote:CONCLUSION: God is not responsible for the bad humans do. He created them as free moral agents so each individual is ultimately responsible for any bad he does.
But but but being created imperfect and in Adam's sin when sin enslaves us according to our Lord, contradicts our being free agents, unless you minimize the meaning of free as less than being uncoerced, not forced to chose any option, and not constrained from choosing one option or another.

I would argue that unless being enslaved means both being coerced towards sin and also constrained from seeking good in truth that it is a meaningless thing for Jesus to say so to suggest we are created imperfect in sin does indeed suggest GOD is responsible for our being evil, a great blasphemy.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #250

Post by JehovahsWitness »

ttruscott wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 240 by dio9]

BUT elsewhere you have argued that our creation in Adam did create us as imperfect and prone to sin .
I know I didn't argue that "that our creation in Adam did create us as imperfect" because I don't know what that means. What I know I would have said is that God Created us perfect. That Adam was created perfect but that by his deliberate rebellion Adam lost that perfection. And that Adam subsequently passed on the sinful condition he incurred to his children, rather like a father passes on a genetic condition.
ttruscott wrote:...therefore HE IS RESPONSIBLE for our sin, no?
If by HE you are refering to ADAM I would say, no he (Adam) is not responsible for each sinful act we commit, we carry our own responsibility for those for we too have free will, but [HE] Adam is responsible for our being born in a sinful condition. He is responsible for our being born in a spiratually weak state inclined to do bad rather than good.

ttruscott wrote:Your mention to the term responsible as referring to a cause is interesting. I have in the past argued that HE was indeed the cause of sin because HE created us with a free will able to choose to sin but HE was NOT RESPONSIBLE for sin because HE did not want us to choose sin but we did against HIS will. Hmmmmm....
This is why personal names are useful. You seem to be refering to God (JEHOVAH) in this part of the post. If by "HE" you are refering to Jehovah, then I would disagree. Creating intelligent beings with free will isn't being the primary "cause" of sin. It means that sin is possible but it doesn't CAUSE the sin.

To illustrate: If car manufacturers didn't make any cars there would be no car accidents. So if a man runs over his neighbours dog who killed the dog? Who caused the accident? Who is responsible?
Most reasonable people would conclude that even though the accident would have been impossible if the manufactuer hadn't made the car, the responsibility lays with the person's negligent action.

(I was toying with the idea of illustrating the above by asking If you drive your best friend to a party and that friend makes out with his girlfriend there and gets her pregnant, can the girl make YOU pay child support? After all you made it possible by dropping him off. I decided to go with the dog illustration but you get the picture...)

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

SIN , PERFECTION , and ...THE RANSOM
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8