One day soon.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

postroad
Prodigy

One day soon.

Post #1

Post by postroad »

It is not fair to say to an unbeliever with absolute confidence that "one day soon" some prophecied event will be fulfilled and refuse to give an upper time limit for defining soon. Such individuals should simply remain silent on the matter in my opinion. There testimony is worthless as far as I am concerned. Question for debate is this. Why should an unbeliever believe the Bible when prophecy indicating that something must soon take place does not take place and may never take place.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Re: One day soon.

Post #11

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 2 by JehovahsWitness]

postroad wrote:Such individuals should simply remain silent on the matter in my opinion.
JehovahsWitness wrote:
So basically you are against free speech?

Bravo for finding the least charitable interpretation possible and thereby, missing the point entirely.

:)

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 6 by postroad]
postroad wrote: They would leave reading material with us after these visits. Nice people BTW. Anyhow I would sometimes look through and read the pamphlets. They were brightly illustrated in almost a cartoon fashion and easy to read. They seemed to be aimed toward something less than even my teenage intellect. Beginner Christianity if you will.
I always had the same opinion of JW material... made for 2nd graders.
Honestly, or kindergarten.

I always wondered who would be GULLIBLE enough to believe this nonsense?
Well, I guess there are enough.

Bright colors and simple messages.
Lets all lower our expectations.

:)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #13

Post by JehovahsWitness »

postroad wrote: Sometimes I wonder if the internet will be the end of the Jehovah's Witness.
No need to Wonder, here are some figures.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sun May 31, 2020 5:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #14

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 13 by JehovahsWitness]

To what is the * referring?
Also, what % are these numbers in overall denominations and overall population?

postroad
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 13 by JehovahsWitness]
Give it some time. The internet will eventually become readily available in the countries that now make up a large portion of your growth.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #16

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 13 by JehovahsWitness]
Give it some time. The internet will eventually become readily available in the countries that now make up a large portion of your growth.
And what if anything, do you understand from the actual figures provided?

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

postroad
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 16 by JehovahsWitness]

The organization doubled in number from 1980 to 1990. Then it took another 26 years to double again. It took me and my wife less than three years to double our number. We didn't even have to convert anyone.

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #18

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 17 by postroad]

That's likely one big reason why it's written "be fruitful and multiply" - it's easier to breed into something than to convert from another clan.
Some would say more fun too

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #19

Post by OnceConvinced »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
postroad wrote:Such individuals should simply remain silent on the matter in my opinion.
So basically you are against free speech? It is your opinion that certain groups of people should not be allowed express their opinion? Does that about sum up your position?

To me it's like the boy who cried wolf. It would be quite understandable to be against people crying wolf all the time. To me, I just roll my eyes most of the time. My Aunty was convinced Jesus was returning two Christmas's ago. Sometimes I want to shake her. "Helloooo Aunty! You're wrong AGAIN! Now please shut up about Jesus returning. He's clearly not."

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #20

Youkilledkenny wrote: [Replying to post 17 by postroad]

That's likely one big reason why it's written "be fruitful and multiply" - it's easier to breed into something than to convert from another clan.

Now I'm no mathematician, maybe someone sensible will turn up and crunch the numbers, but my understanding is that the average world growth percentage is about 1.8%; Apparently with constant 2% a population will double roughly every 35 years.

Jehovah' Witnesses don't have a higher than average number of children, so it seems to me (I'll stand corrected) that it should have taken about 40 year for the JW population to double, and that would be if ALL their children became Jehovah's Witnesses. Now according to one study only about half of the children raised in JWs household go on to become Witnesses themselves, so wouldn't that mean from birth rate alone, it would take about 80 years to double our population? Wouldn't that mean it would take 160 years to go from 2m to 8m?

Maths geeks welcome here,

JW

http://members.optusnet.com.au/exponent ... ngMech.htm