Does the mention of Adam in Luke 3 suggest a young earth?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Does the mention of Adam in Luke 3 suggest a young earth?

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

Does the mention of Adam in Luke 3:23-38 suggest a young earth? If Adam is indeed the first man, surely the genealogy in Luke would be much longer

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by ttruscott »

earl wrote: This is an interesting topic.
When I compared three lineage charts in the Bible I did not find a perfect match.It has been a while ago but the Luke chart and another did not match.Please correct me if I do not remember correctly.
Weather the charts go back to even 100,000 is subject to much debate but what the Jewish historians did was is trace their lineage back to Adam and Eve only.
The second thing they did was is to call Adam the first man.
The third thing they did was is to place any humanoid and any animal in the same category.
Thus you will find a beast of the field deceiving Eve at Gen.3.1.
This beast of the field showed hatred ,a human characteristic,not animal,in Ge, 3.15 against Eve's descendants and his against her descendants.
Not to be disrespectful to anyone but the beast of the field is what the Jewish historians labeled anyone who is not a descendant of Adam as heathen,Gentile,and Goy.
Beasts,beast of the field and brute beasts is common in the Bible and by reading it is easy to tell which is and which is not an animal.
Beasts of the field,Heathen ,Gentile and Goy have all been used disparagingly as when Jesus once used the word dog refering to a Gentile.
The beast of the field who deceived Eve was human but not Adam's descendant
Matt 13:36 Then He left the crowds and went into the house. And His disciples came to Him and said, “Explain to us the parable of the tares of the field.� 37 And He said, “The one who sows the good seed is the Son of Man, 38 and the field is the world; and as for the good seed, these are the people of the kingdom; and the tares are the people of the evil one; 39 and the enemy who sowed them is the devil, does indeed separate all mankind into two peoples (before there are sown into the world) with two fathers, one good and one evil and

I often wondered about whether Adam was a good seed placed into the natural humans of the world as the first man, that is, the first good seed, the first person of the kingdom to be sown into the human genome but I can't make that work, earl, since Eve is called the mother of all living (humans), not merely the sinful elect.

Do you have a logically integrated theology to support this or is it just a speculative curiosity of word use? Are you contending that the seduction of Eve was physical and the beasts [The beast of the field who deceived Eve was human but not Adam's descendant] are descendants of the serpent's and Eve's union?
Last edited by ttruscott on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: Does the mention of Adam in Luke 3 suggest a young earth

Post #22

Post by ttruscott »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Justin108 wrote: Do you make this assumption for every single human fossil dated to be older than 6000 years? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
Yes I do. I believe mankind has only been on this planet for about 6000 yearso.
Do you deny an old age for the so called human ancestors, Cro Magnon and Neanderthal etc or are they not considered human in the bible, (earl's thesis)? Or I suppose (as I heard somewhere) the artifacts may belong to debased true descendants of Adam who are riddled with disease and arthritis etc with genetic in breeding and not to early pre-people.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #23

Post by Kenisaw »

earl wrote: At this point it would be desirable to define human.
If carbon dating and other techniques is useless on humans is it also useless on the labors of humans?
A human's labor will tell us an age in which a man lived.
What is the oldest known thing that is not natural but created by labor?
Even defining human as "modern human", there is still plenty of evidence of humans being around a lot longer than standard biblical chronologies. Human remains, by the way, can be carbon dated. I don't know where you got the idea that carbon dating and other techniques are "useless on humans", but that is wrong.

Dating materials that humans used and created is also an accurate way of obtaining an age of something, since most things human use are created within their lifetime or perhaps a lifetime before.

The Biblical claim of a young species and/or a young planet is falsified nonsense.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #24

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 22 by ttruscott]

Well I don't believe in so called "apemen", that in my opinion is just so much nonsense. If remains have been identified as human, they are descendents of Adam. If remains have been discovered that resemble modern day apes they were probably apes.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #25

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 19 by Tired of the Nonsense]

Yes, in my opinion the bible record of correctly fulfilled prophecy provides evidence of its divine authorship. Humans cannot accurately foretell the future.

JW

[youtube][/youtube]

Further reading
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... rd-of-god/
[/quote]

Daniel 2:
31-35 ...'Thou, O king, sawest, and behold a great image. This great image, whose brightness was excellent, stood before thee; and the form thereof was terrible. This image's head was of fine gold, his breast and his arms of silver, his belly and his thighs of brass, his legs of iron, his feet part of iron and part of clay. Thou sawest till that a stone was cut out without hands, which smote the image upon his feet that were of iron and clay, and brake them to pieces.'

Wikipedia
Daniel 2 (the second chapter of the Book of Daniel) tells how Daniel interpreted a dream of Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon. The king saw a gigantic statue made of four metals, from its gold head to its feet of mingled iron and clay; as he watched, a stone "not cut by human hands" destroyed the statue and became a mountain filling the whole world. Daniel explained to the king that the statue represented four successive kingdoms beginning with Babylon, while the stone and mountain signified a kingdom established by God which would never be destroyed nor given to another people. (The dream and its interpretation are given in verses 31-45). Nebuchadnezzar then acknowledges the supremacy of Daniel's God and raises him to high office in Babylon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_2

Wikipedia
Book of Daniel
Dating[edit]
The prophecies of Daniel are accurate down to the career of Antiochus IV Epiphanes, king of Syria and oppressor of the Jews, but not in its prediction of his death: the author seems to know about Antiochus' two campaigns in Egypt (169 and 167 BC), the desecration of the Temple (the "abomination of desolation"), and the fortification of the Akra (a fortress built inside Jerusalem), but he seems to know nothing about the reconstruction of the Temple or about the actual circumstances of Antiochus' death in late 164. Chapters 10–12 must therefore have been written between 167 and 164 BC. There is no evidence of a significant time lapse between those chapters and chapters 8 and 9, and chapter 7 may have been written just a few months earlier again.[41]

Further evidence of the book's date is in the fact that Daniel is excluded from the Hebrew Bible's canon of the prophets, which was closed around 200 BC, and the Wisdom of Sirach, a work dating from around 180 BC, draws on almost every book of the Old Testament except Daniel, leading scholars to suppose that its author was unaware of it. Daniel is, however, quoted in a section of the Sibylline Oracles commonly dated to the middle of the 2nd century BC, and was popular at Qumran at much the same time, suggesting that it was known and revered from the middle of that century
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Daniel#Dating

In the book of Daniel, Daniel is purported to be a contemporary of Nebuchadnezzar (c. 634 – c. 562 BCE). The book of Daniel was not written, or at least completed, until the second century BC however, or about 400 years or so after the time of Nebuchadnezzar. This is true of all of the books of the OT, all of which were rewritten and modified over the course of centuries. Which greatly improved the chances of their "prophecies" for being accurate.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

earl
Scholar

Post #26

Post by earl »

truscott,
The verses you presented are a bit in the grey as far as clarifying the tares and the enemy.
The good seed is dead on saying the followers of Jesus teaching who have entered the kingdom.

As I have stated ,yes,I have a logical for what I have wrote.
The Jewish historians went back to Adam with their lineage and stopped.
Serpent ,not the serpent,who is a beast of the field,which is a racial slur in our modern day viewpoint deceived Eve into doing something .It does not say she and Serpent acted together but only she acted alone .He simply encouraged her that it was a good thing to do and she did it.
I do not see any seduction event that might show they did something together.
Beasts of the field ,beasts and brute beasts is throughout the bible.Some verses speak of animals and some of obvious human conduct.
The proof is that these Jewish historians classed any human who is not Adam or Eve's descendant as animals.Heathen ,Gentile and Goyim are more common as time has moved away from that era as when Jesus was tagged as referring to a non jew Gentile woman as a dog.
Throughout Biblical history there was the Jews race and everyone else as animals with no distinction of being at first a human.

earl
Scholar

Post #27

Post by earl »

Kenisaw,
I was making a simple joke.
Some people do not believe that dating human remains is to show any accuracy.

earl
Scholar

Post #28

Post by earl »

truscott,
The beast at Gen.3.1 clearly shows a human life deceiving Eve.
This beast went on to have descendants at Gen.3.15 .
This beast's descendants further more had hatred against Eve's descendants,a proof of human conduct and this attitude was passed down to his line of descendants.
The Christian community say this beast was Satan but this beast was as stated a beast of the field.It does not say Satan was a beast of the field.
Yes this does change history.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #29

Post by Justin108 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Justin108 wrote: Do you have a reason for this belief, other than "because the Bible says so"?
None that I will be presently sharing with you.

JW
Right. I'll add this to the list of questions you refuse to answer. I must say, the list is getting pretty big

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #30

Post by Justin108 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 19 by Tired of the Nonsense]

Yes, in my opinion the bible record of correctly fulfilled prophecy provides evidence of its divine authorship. Humans cannot accurately foretell the future.

JW

[youtube][/youtube]

Further reading
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... rd-of-god/
Give me a single prophecy that proves divine authorship