Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Demented_Literature
Student

Breaking the ice.

Post #1

Post by Demented_Literature »

Greetings;

This is a simple breaking of the ice; and hopefully the beginning of some good arguments.

I am defined as an atheist; but I reject the title atheist and prefer the title a-anything that hasn't been confirmed and demonstrated as true; or has demonstrable evidence leading to a valid theory.

I universally reject arguments based on the definition of words. I feel that anyone, atheist or theist alike that will argue the other is wrong based on the dictionary definition of a word is ignoring the arguments basis on the basis of 'that's not what that word means' which I believe is dodging the argument presented for an easier rebuttal.

I have a long history of reading Egyptian, Greek and Christian religious doctrine. And am fascinated by Egyptian and Greek mythology. And have come here purely to have conversational arguments with religious people to further my own understanding of what people believe.

Also just here to meet a few new people and hopefully get some good conversation going. Always happy to talk Egyptian or Greek mythology with anyone and can talk quite extensively on Christian dogma and beliefs within reason. Also happy to question but am not able to debate as extensively with other religious concepts.

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

Welcome to the forum!

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #3

Post by OnceConvinced »

Glad to have you with us. I like what you are saying there.

Who wants to be a non-something? In New Zealand, when I did my degree we had to do a cultural identity class, which was pretty much something that was put on the course to make Maori people happy. It was kind of like shoving their culture down our throats.

The word "Pakeha" is used to describe any white non Maori. In fact our tutor said that "Pakeha" simply means "Non Maori". She also said that we should feel proud to be considered "Pakeha". This didn't sit right with me. My response was that "Why would I want to be a non-something?"

So yeah, maybe the same should apply to the word "Atheist". Having said that though, it is helpful on a site such as this to label ourselves in this manner. It helps others to know what side of the fence we sit on. The user groups are invaluable when it comes to debate.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Demented_Literature
Student

Post #4

[Replying to post 2 by otseng]

Thank you. I hope to learn a lot while I am here.

Demented_Literature
Student

Post #5

[Replying to post 3 by OnceConvinced]

A small world! I am from New Zealand also.

The problem I have with 'pakeha' especially is that by definition it means 'not us'. No foundation can begin with 'not' something. This assumes that by default it must be that thing; for instance 'pakeha' means by default it must be Maori; and if not it is classified as anything else.

I do not feel that anything that defines itself as the default purely as an abstract should be used as a basis to identify anything else as absent.

For instance; the Pakeha reference. Maori is a thing; there are Maori people. There for other people that are not Maori are their own defined racial identity. Two white people could be German and English respectively. To define these people as simply 'Pakeha' assumes Maori as the default.

Atheism and theism does the same; theism is the belief in something. Atheism presumes the absence of Theism. Theism is not the default norm; we take two people one is a Nihalist the other is Agnostic. These are by definition now Atheist; but they have nothing in common. There for it must be used as a broad term to define absence of theism and have no joining power of the people under it's umbrella. And by that has no explanatory power other than they just don't believe in a god.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #6

Post by OnceConvinced »

Good points.

Where in NZ are you?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Demented_Literature
Student

Post #7

[Replying to post 6 by OnceConvinced]

Hamilton matey; and yourself?

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #8

Post by OnceConvinced »

Same! Fairfield to be exact.

marco
Savant

Re: Breaking the ice.

Post #9

Post by marco »

Demented_Literature wrote:

Always happy to talk Egyptian or Greek mythology with anyone and can talk quite extensively on Christian dogma and beliefs within reason. Also happy to question but am not able to debate as extensively with other religious concepts.

It always saddens me that Zeus, one of my favourite gods, has gone out of favour. I liked his human weaknesses, implanting Semele with Dionysus or abducting Ganymede. One of my closest relatives is an expert in Egyptology, and now and then reveals some snippet that might interest me.

Lovely to hear from you! My very best wishes.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #10

Post by Divine Insight »

I totally agree with your rejection of semantic arguments based on dictionary definitions. If we could point to dictionaries to define everything precisely then nothing would be in question or unknown. :D

I too do not care to be labeled an "atheist". Especially in a general sense. And actually when it comes to Hebrew Mythology I'm far more than just an "atheist", I'm actually an anti-theist. I view Hebrew mythology in the same way I view Greek and Egyptian mythology, etc. The idea that it somehow stands above these other religious mythologies simply doesn't hold water.

Welcome to the forums.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]