Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Fill er' up

Post #1

Post by DanieltheDragon »

For debate:

What does being filled with the Holy Spirit mean to you?

Is Christianity unified in its meaning?
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

Wootah
Savant

Post #31

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 30 by OnceConvinced]

Well I would believe you have the holy spirit. You got the music in you.

But realistically not many people actually want God's way. Care to wash the feet of the poor?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Clownboat
Savant

Post #32

Post by Clownboat »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 30 by OnceConvinced]

Well I would believe you have the holy spirit. You got the music in you.

But realistically not many people actually want God's way. Care to wash the feet of the poor?
Wash the feet of the poor?
I would be happy if most Christians could just start accepting Muslims and homosexuals to name a couple. Should be a lot easier than going around washing peoples feet. Besides, it would be weird if someone tried to wash my feet, and I don't see why a poor person would feel any different.

Besides, feet are icky. We should all wash our own.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by Zzyzx »

Clownboat wrote:
Wootah wrote: Care to wash the feet of the poor?
Wash the feet of the poor?

We should all wash our own.
The Foot washing fetish, in religion (a gesture of humility and submissiveness) illustrates its misguided practices and instructions. Rather than displays of status, a reasoning person should know to wash their HANDS and their food rather than their (or anyone's) feet.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #34

Post by OnceConvinced »

[Replying to post 33 by Zzyzx]

From what I understand about this ritual, it was the custom because being in a desert country, one's feet became very dirty throughout the day, so you didn't want to dread dirt, sand and camel dung throughout someone's house.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Elijah John
Savant

Post #35

Post by Elijah John »

ttruscott wrote: imCo:
Zzyzx wrote:If the 'Holy spirit burns bright' in people who HAVE given it permission, WHY doesn't their light shine with unmistakable brilliance? Where is their wisdom, knowledge, ability; where are their exemplary actions?

Nothing is so true it can't be denied, Nothing is so holy it cannot be desecrated. If they can ignore, accuse and desecrate Jesus, it is for their blindness, not His lack. Our light is indeed dimmed by sin but even though we are less than Christ, it is not proof that there is no Holy Spirit.
Moderator Comment

A bit preachy, Ted.

This post would be considered to not comply with the guidelines on preaching. Please read through the guidelines and abide by them.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.