WHY is the Tetragrammaton used so seldom

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

WHY is the Tetragrammaton used so seldom

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Why is the Tetragrammaton (YHVH), the Divine name, used so seldom in the New Testament?

It is used almost 7000 times in the OT/Hebrew Bible, but is absent or almost totally absent from the NT.

A few possible reasons are suggested.

1) Greek speaking NT writers honoring the Rabbinic prohibition against pronouncing (or writing?) the name of God.

2) The omission serves the agenda of NT writers in promoting Jesus as the "new" Lord, and redirecting honor in worship to Jesus instead of to YHVH.

Could it be either of these two reasons, or is there some other reason the Divine Name YHVH has been overlooked in the New Testament?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

DBSmith
Student

Post #91

Post by DBSmith »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness]

I have tried to lay the foundation of the Father and Son doctrine found in the Old and New Testaments using most of the verses in the Bible that support the doctrine as used by the authors in the Old and New Testaments....post #85

To help me better understand what you are then specifically asking, may I inquire as to what you mean by "at the moment this happened?"

It is clear in the Psalms who the Father and Son are, both figuratively (Heavenly) and literally (earthly) as the scripture is written and as it is quoted and explained by others in the Bible....as I tried to show.

Please advise.....

marco
Savant

Re: WHY is the Tetragrammaton used so seldom

Post #92

Post by marco »

JP Cusick wrote:

The tetragrammaton is a verb as in an action word, and it is not a noun as a proper name as done in the barbaric English language.
Would it be possible to supply the verb that you think the word is, using barbaric English if you must.
The word would seem to mean: "consisting of four letters" or a thing having four letters. The word may have come from a verb meaning "to be" or "to bring into being" but the word is surely not a verb. But I will be happy to be surprised, if it is.

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #93

Post by JP Cusick »

marco wrote:
JP Cusick wrote: The tetragrammaton is a verb as in an action word, and it is not a noun as a proper name as done in the barbaric English language.
Would it be possible to supply the verb that you think the word is, using barbaric English if you must.
The word would seem to mean: "consisting of four letters" or a thing having four letters. The word may have come from a verb meaning "to be" or "to bring into being" but the word is surely not a verb. But I will be happy to be surprised, if it is.
I can not supply the Hebrew verb in English because the two languages are not compatible, and I do not speak Hebrew, but here is a quote from that same link I gave from the JW org where it tells about the verb.

QUOTE:
" What is the meaning of the name Jehovah? In Hebrew, the name Jehovah comes from a verb that means “to become,� and a number of scholars feel that it reflects the causative form of that Hebrew verb. Thus, the understanding of the New World Bible Translation Committee is that God’s name means “He Causes to Become.� "
Link = Jehovah Witness org ~ What is the meaning of the name Jehovah?

It is not a proper name as in our barbaric English, because the Tetragrammaton is a title with meaning which serves as the name, and Jesus tells us that the name or title of "Father" as in Father God is the correct definition for the tetragrammaton.

The meaning of = He who causes to be = is the same interpretation as Father.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

marco
Savant

Post #94

Post by marco »

JP Cusick wrote:
The tetragrammaton is a verb
If you read the explanation you supplied you will see it is a noun. It is derived from a verb but is not a verb. Essence is derived from the verb esse, to be, but is not a verb. We must be precise if we are going to be semantically analytic.

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #95

Post by JP Cusick »

marco wrote:
JP Cusick wrote:
The tetragrammaton is a verb
If you read the explanation you supplied you will see it is a noun. It is derived from a verb but is not a verb. Essence is derived from the verb esse, to be, but is not a verb. We must be precise if we are going to be semantically analytic.
The word "Father" is a noun based on a verb too.

It is a title name based on an action.

A man can not be a father until he first begets a child.

The Father God (the tetragrammaton) is thereby a name based on an action.
SIGNATURE:

tigger2
Sage

Post #96

Post by tigger2 »

JP Cusick, post 93:
[YHWH] is not a proper name as in our barbaric English, because the Tetragrammaton is a title with meaning which serves as the name, and Jesus tells us that the name or title of "Father" as in Father God is the correct definition for the tetragrammaton.

The meaning of = He who causes to be = is the same interpretation as Father.

YHWH is the only personal name of the Most High God of the Bible. It is no more a 'title' than are the other personal names found in Scripture: i.e., Joab (Jehovah is the Father); Abijah (The Father is Jehovah); Joel (Jehovah is God); Elijah (God is Jehovah); Abiel (The Father is God); Eliab (God is the Father); Joshua (Jehovah is Savior); Isaiah (Jehovah is Salvation); etc.

Obviously Joab is not Abijah even though their names mean the same thing!

God was asked the meaning (mah) of His name in Exodus 3:13. His reply (Ex. 3:14) to Moses was "I Will Be (ehyeh) What (asher) I Will Be (ehyeh)" ... tell the Israelites that 'I Will Be' (ehyeh) has sent you to them.

We know that ehyeh meant 'I will be' to Moses because every other time he uses it in his writings it is always translated 'I will be' (Exodus 3:12 is an example). So the third person form of ehyeh , according to Moses, means something like 'He Will Be' (third person future tense).

So whether 'He Causes to Be,' or 'He Will Be,' or 'He Will Become,' it is simply the meaning of His personal name (YHWH, the tetragrammaton). This is like every other personal name of God's people in the Bible.

A title would be 'Father,' 'Son,' 'the Rock,' 'the Lamb', 'the Word,' etc.

marco
Savant

Post #97

Post by marco »

JP Cusick wrote:

The Father God (the tetragrammaton) is thereby a name based on an action.

No one is disputing derivation. Your error is in making the statement:

" The tetragrammaton is a verb as in an action word ".

It is not a verb. But I think you see that now.

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #98

Post by JP Cusick »

marco wrote: No one is disputing derivation. Your error is in making the statement:

" The tetragrammaton is a verb as in an action word ".

It is not a verb. But I think you see that now.
The tetragrammaton could be translated as Creator (the Creator) but we need to remember that the Hebrew language uses male and female word distinction so it is the male Creator.

The correct enlightenment comes from the Gospel where Jesus translates the word into Father (the Father) as seen here = Matthew 23:9 and here = Mark 11:25-26

As such anyone can say Jehovah or say Yahweh or Yahveh, because they all mean the same thing = the Father. Or say Yahweh Elohim which means = the Father God (or Father of the Gods).
SIGNATURE:

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #99

Post by Justin108 »

JP Cusick wrote: The correct enlightenment comes from the Gospel where Jesus translates the word into Father (the Father) as seen here = Matthew 23:9 and here = Mark 11:25-26
He does no such thing