Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Faber
Scholar

Revelation 3:12 "My God"...."My new name"

Post #1

Post by Faber »

Revelation 3:12
He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he will not go out from it anymore; and I will write on him the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God, and My new name. (NASB)

Why is Revelation 3:12 sometimes cited as proof that the Lord Jesus is not God simply because He refers to the Father as "My God" when the very same verse speaks of Him (Jesus) writing His new name on the believer which indicates His Supreme Deity?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #21

Post by onewithhim »

Faber wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:
Faber wrote:
The Lord Jesus is not the Father but the Lord Jesus is God.

The Lord Jesus is not the Father but the Lord Jesus calls the Father "my God".
And Thomas calls the Lord Jesus "my God" in John 20:28.

And the Father calls Jesus "God" in Hebrew 1:8 and has the angels worshiping Him in Hebrews 1:6. - And remember this worship is to "deity in monotheistic cult" (A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, proskyne�, page 882).
Nope. The Father does NOT call the Son "God" at Hebrews 1:8. It can readily be seen if one does a little research. The translation of that should be: "God is your throne, forever," meaning Jesus' power and authority comes from God. VERSE 9 corroborates that rendering. It says to Jesus, "GOD, YOUR GOD anointed you with the oil of exultation more than your partners."

Most people like yourself ignore that verse, even though it comes right after the rearranged verse calling the Son "God." Would the writer of Hebrews so badly and boldly contradict himself within two verses??

:confused2:

Faber
Scholar

Post #22

Post by Faber »

Ahh the NWT to the rescue eh? :shock:

Thomas still referred to the Lord Jesus as "my God" in John 20:28. You dodged that fact.

Monta
Guru

Re: Revelation 3:12 "My God"...."My new name&

Post #23

Post by Monta »

Faber wrote: Revelation 3:12
He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he will not go out from it anymore; and I will write on him the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God, and My new name. (NASB)

Why is Revelation 3:12 sometimes cited as proof that the Lord Jesus is not God simply because He refers to the Father as "My God" when the very same verse speaks of Him (Jesus) writing His new name on the believer which indicates His Supreme Deity?
'Temple' signifies Church in heaven and also on earth.
Jesus said to the Jews, destroy this temple and I shall raise it up again, speaking of the temple of His body; John 2:19,21.

In Rev 21:22 'I saw no temple in the New Jerusalem for for the Lord God Almight and the Lamb are the temple of it'.

To write in or upon anyone signifies to inscribe so that it may be in him as his own; the name of my God signifies Divine Truth. What other name could possibly be suitable for God except Divine Truth? Many names for the Divine Being were given to us for eons of time. I believe these earthly names do not enter heaven for that would mean we shall have to continue using English and Arabic and Indian....

onewithhim
Savant

Post #24

Post by onewithhim »

Faber wrote: Ahh the NWT to the rescue eh? :shock:
No, ANY version of the Bible says that. Haven't you noticed?

And I wouldn't dodge what Thomas exclaimed when he realized that Jesus was really alive. What do many people say when they are confronted with something that blows their mind? "Oh my God!" That is what Thomas was doing, not saying that Jesus WAS God.

If it was true that Thomas called Jesus God, and the others agreed with him, then why didn't John say more about it? That would be a very important thing to write about---such a great doctrinal change from their monotheism that they grew up with! But John says nothing about this new-found realization that Jesus is God. In fact, he shows further that Jesus being God is a non-issue, because he is not God and they all knew that. John merely closes his Gospel's chapter 20 by stating exactly who he thought Jesus was:

"These these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in his name."

Bada bing, bada boom.

Monta
Guru

Post #25

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 24 by onewithhim]

"These these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in his name."

If as you say Jesus was only a man why would belief in him give us eternal life?
The same could be said Buddha and many other teachers.

The verse avove: 'Jesus is the Christ'.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #26

Post by onewithhim »

Monta wrote: [Replying to post 24 by onewithhim]

If as you say Jesus was only a man why would belief in him give us eternal life?

Did I say "Jesus was only a man"? That wasn't me who said that.

Monta
Guru

Post #27

Post by Monta »

onewithhim wrote:

Sorry if i misquoted you, but if he was a man he was only a man and not divine.
From what I understand JW doctrine is the Jesus the CHrist is not divine = infiite and eternal. In other words like you and I.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #28

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 27 by Monta]

The word "divine" means godlike/godly/a god. It doesn't mean being a demi-god or being a part of a truine Almighty God.

click on the picture to enlarge

Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Jesus was a mighty godlike spirit creature* in the heavens during his prehuman existence as such. When he was born as a human we believe he was entirely human, his life being miraculously transfered into the womb of a virgin girl. So while on earth he was like any other humanin that way but obviouly perfect and vastly superior in assigned power; equal to Adam as a perfect human male but "superior" in moral integrity and faith. He was most certainly "godly" and uniquely to every other human, of divine orgins. Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Jesus possessed powers unequal to any other human seen on earth before or since.

* We believe he was created, so at one time The Word (Jesus) did not even exist.

Having died and returned to heaven Jesus is once again a mighty spirit being second in power and position only to Almighty God YHWH (Jehovah) himself. He is rightly spoken of as a Mighty God and most certainly divine (godlike) in nature (although not a third part of any truine god).

**see definition above
So do Jehovah's Witnesses believe Jesus is and was "divine"**? Yes

Do Jehovah's Witnesses believe Jesus had divine origins? Yes

Do Jehovah's Witnesses believe Jesus can be described on earth as a "demi-god" half human/half god or Almighty God? Absolutely not.

Hope that helps,

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

onewithhim
Savant

Post #29

Post by onewithhim »

Monta wrote:
onewithhim wrote:

Sorry if i misquoted you, but if he was a man he was only a man and not divine.
From what I understand JW doctrine is the Jesus the CHrist is not divine = infiite and eternal. In other words like you and I.
No, that is not true. There are many lies going around about JWs. Jesus is definitely divine ("of, relating to, or proceeding directly from God"...Webster's Ninth Collegiate Dictionary) though not God Almighty.

Jesus was a perfect man, and he had to be to be an acceptable "covering" (literally what "atonement" means) for the rebellion of Adam and the resulting sin and death. Adam was a perfect man before he disobeyed, and Jesus was a perfect man to set things right again. (Romans 5:18,19; I Corinth.15:22; I Corinth.15:45; I Timothy 2:5) The equal to Adam had to be involved. Like for like, as is the principle in the Law of Moses.....eye for eye, etc. Perfect man for perfect man.

That doesn't take away anything from Jesus. He came from heaven to be a man, then went back to heaven after giving up his human life. He is the second most powerful Person in the universe, next to his Father.

Monta
Guru

Post #30

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 29 by onewithhim]

"No, that is not true. There are many lies going around about JWs. Jesus is definitely divine ("of, relating to, or proceeding directly from God"...Webster's Ninth Collegiate Dictionary) though not God Almighty. "

It's innappropriate to call other people liers because they may disagree with your doctrine. You say Jesus came directly from God and call him divine yet deny that he is still like any other man.

That which is divine and 'proceeds directly from God is God' - infinite and eternal and certainly not human.