Are Catholicism and other Christian religions ending?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Post #1

Post by polonius »

“A report released Tuesday by the Pew Forum finds that the total number of Catholics in the United States dropped by 3 million since 2007, now comprising about 20 percent - or one-fifth - of the total population.

"And perhaps more troubling for the church, for every one Catholic convert, more than six Catholics leave the church. Taken a step further, Catholicism loses more members than it gains at a higher rate than any other denomination, with nearly 13 percent of all Americans describing themselves as “former Catholics.�

"The report, America’s Changing Religious Landscape, found that in 2014, the overall share of Christians in the United States dropped to an all-time low of just under 71 percent, down about 7 percentage points from 2007.�

https://cruxnow.com/church/2015/05/12/p ... omination/

liamconnor
Prodigy

Re: Are Catholicism and other Christian religions ending?

Post #31

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 1 by polonius.advice]

Is this question addressed to fortune tellers?

How can anyone know whether something in the future is going to happen? Maybe in forty years there will be a revival? Who knows?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #32

Post by Zzyzx »

liamconnor wrote:
polonius.advice wrote:
Is this question addressed to fortune tellers?

How can anyone know whether something in the future is going to happen? Maybe in forty years there will be a revival? Who knows?
Would it take a fortune teller to answer whether:

1) Telephone booths decline in numbers

2) Tractors continue to dominate agricultural duties (rather than horses and mules)

3) On-line purchases are likely to continue increase in the near future

4) Shopping malls are declining in profitability and in numbers
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

alexxcJRO
Guru

Post #33

Post by alexxcJRO »

eldios wrote:
And what evidence do you have to support your baseless assertion that my claims are extraordinary?

If the claim : "God, the creator of this 14 billion parsec universe some time during my lifetime will destroy the creation" is not extraordinary, i don't know what is.

eldios wrote: Do you know how many people on earth believe differently then you?
The number of people believing something is irrelevant. 8-)
Your making an argument ad populum which is a logical fallacy.
eldios wrote: There will be all kinds of positive evidence that all the inhabitants die on the day of the Lord. Be patient.
Q: Why come on an Apologetics debate forum if you are not going to defend your beliefs, provide evidence for your positive claims, apologize for your omnipotent God cuz’ he doesn't seem to be able to; huh? :-s :-k
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."
"God is a insignificant nobody. He is so unimportant that no one would even know he exists if evolution had not made possible for animals capable of abstract thought to exist and invent him"
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #34

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 32 by Zzyzx]

Question:

Should Titles of Threads be considered when one reads the question for debate?

The Title is
The Title is not "Do statistics show a current decline...".

Is the actual title irrelevant to the question for debate? If the same OP thread, which gave only some statistics, had the title "Proof that Christianity is False!" is it illogical, impermissible or otherwise inappropriate to assume the title as part of the question and to show how the inference made in the title is a non sequitur from the information given in the OP?

eldios
Banned
Banned

Post #35

Post by eldios »

alexxcJRO wrote:
eldios wrote:
And what evidence do you have to support your baseless assertion that my claims are extraordinary?
If the claim : "God, the creator of this 14 billion parsec universe some time during my lifetime will destroy the creation" is not extraordinary, i don't know what is.
I back up my claims with something that was written a long time ago for people to read.

2 Peter 3
10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fire, and the earth and the works that are upon it will be burned up.

eldios wrote: Do you know how many people on earth believe differently then you?
The number of people believing something is irrelevant. 8-)
Your making an argument ad populum which is a logical fallacy.
Why is it irrelevant that billions of other people besides yourself believe that there is a God and that he planned a better future for his creation after this world is destroyed?
eldios wrote: There will be all kinds of positive evidence that all the inhabitants die on the day of the Lord. Be patient.
Q: Why come on an Apologetics debate forum if you are not going to defend your beliefs, provide evidence for your positive claims, apologize for your omnipotent God cuz’ he doesn't seem to be able to; huh? :-s :-k
Each member of this forum is in here for a different reason than yours. Do you realize that some people are simply lonely people who are looking for someone to love them?

marco
Savant

Post #36

Post by marco »

eldios wrote:

Life will be nothing but a joy ride in the next generation so we won't be going to school and learning how we're created. All that knowledge came from information called the beast that taught humans how to build things with their hands starting with a mud brick. Now humans are building computer technology and AI and voice systems which was necessary to learn how we were created.

Well we can take it that Vesuvius and Etna won't threaten any more. SOME humans are building computers; many are looking for a cup of water. I thought it was easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to get into heaven. But here you are saying the rich and powerful inherit heaven; the poor and meek stay put.

eldios
Banned
Banned

Post #37

Post by eldios »

marco wrote:
eldios wrote:

Life will be nothing but a joy ride in the next generation so we won't be going to school and learning how we're created. All that knowledge came from information called the beast that taught humans how to build things with their hands starting with a mud brick. Now humans are building computer technology and AI and voice systems which was necessary to learn how we were created.

Well we can take it that Vesuvius and Etna won't threaten any more. SOME humans are building computers; many are looking for a cup of water. I thought it was easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to get into heaven. But here you are saying the rich and powerful inherit heaven; the poor and meek stay put.
It's obvious you're not listening carefully enough to the words I'm typing into this forum.

alexxcJRO
Guru

Post #38

Post by alexxcJRO »

eldios wrote:
I back up my claims with something that was written a long time ago for people to read.

2 Peter 3
10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fire, and the earth and the works that are upon it will be burned up.

Every religion has it old texts, so? :-s

Hindu people have “The Bhagavad Gita�.
http://www.bhagavad-gita.org/index-english.html
Islamic people have “The Qu’ran�.
http://www.quranful.com
Buddhists have “The Teachings of Buddha�.
http://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/B ... -index.htm
Confucians have Analects_of_Confucius.
http://www.indiana.edu/~p374/Analects_o ... -2015).pdf

According to your logic every religion is true because they all have old texts.
But they can't be all true because they contain mutually exclusive parts. 8-)

eldios wrote:
Why is it irrelevant that billions of other people besides yourself believe that there is a God and that he planned a better future for his creation after this world is destroyed?
The fact that many people believe in something does not make it true.
In fact there are 1.1 billion Hindus on planet Earth that believe differently then you: they believe in reincarnation.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."
"God is a insignificant nobody. He is so unimportant that no one would even know he exists if evolution had not made possible for animals capable of abstract thought to exist and invent him"
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

eldios
Banned
Banned

Post #39

Post by eldios »

alexxcJRO wrote:
eldios wrote:

2 Peter 3

Every religion has it old texts, so? :-s

Hindu people have “The Bhagavad Gita�.
http://www.bhagavad-gita.org/index-english.html
Islamic people have “The Qu’ran�.
http://www.quranful.com
Buddhists have “The Teachings of Buddha�.
http://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/B ... -index.htm
Confucians have Analects_of_Confucius.
http://www.indiana.edu/~p374/Analects_o ... -2015).pdf

According to your logic every religion is true because they all have old texts.
But they can't be all true because they contain mutually exclusive parts. 8-)

eldios wrote:
The fact that many people believe in something does not make it true.
In fact there are 1.1 billion Hindus on planet Earth that believe differently then you: they believe in reincarnation.
I didn't learn this knowledge from any text. I learned it directly from the creator.

We will all experience life in different bodies in the next generation of the program.

marco
Savant

Post #40

Post by marco »

eldios wrote:

It's obvious you're not listening carefully enough to the words I'm typing into this forum.
I see. Or perhaps your exposition of what will be in our heavenly future is inadequately expressed. You seem to have a singular vision of a bountiful future. From present experience the poor are excluded and the rich inherit.

You think this will change? Why the long period of suffering before the prize giving?