Flat earthers?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Flat earthers?

Post #1

Post by DanieltheDragon »

Flat earth belief is still around to this day. They even have elaborate apologetics dedicated to it not unlike creationists. Yet even among Christian groups they are frequently dismissed. Yet I find this strange. This dismissal among Christians of flat earth belief.

The way I see all Christian belief whether flat earth, young earth, old earth, or what have you are equally unbelievable. To me each group latches on to a particular mindset that speaks to them and ignores evidence to the contrary.

Why is Flat earth theory treated with such disrepect compared to other Christian beliefs?
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #251

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 248:
Kenisaw wrote: I'm a civil engineer
Now there's a contradiction in terms.

bahahahahahahahahahahahaha

But yeah, that the earth ain't flat is a well known fact among construction folk.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Re: Flat earthers?

Post #252

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 8 by 1213]
On basis of that, there seems to have been one area of dry land at the beginning and it may have been relatively flat. Although I don’t know can land area that has mountain(s) be called flat.
The Bible belt of the US is also very flat (Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Iowa, most of Texas and the Dakotas -- no mountains!). I always thought religious people raised in that area and never traveled out of state, were candidates for believing the world is flat. Correct me if I'm wrong.
What good is truth if its value is not more than unproven, handed-down faith?

One believes things because one is conditioned to believe them. -Aldous Huxley

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.

Trump
Banned
Banned

Post #253

Post by Trump »

DanieltheDragon wrote: Flat earth belief is still around to this day. They even have elaborate apologetics dedicated to it not unlike creationists. Yet even among Christian groups they are frequently dismissed. Yet I find this strange. This dismissal among Christians of flat earth belief.

The way I see all Christian belief whether flat earth, young earth, old earth, or what have you are equally unbelievable.
"equally unbelievable"? Most Christians, no, ALL Christians that I know, including me up to about 8 months ago believed in the Globe Earth. And now with the New Popes instruction, millions are turning to the Big Bang theory as the way God created the universe.
DanieltheDragon wrote:To me each group latches on to a particular mindset that speaks to them and ignores evidence to the contrary.
I agree with that, especially ignoring the evidence part.
DanieltheDragon wrote:Why is Flat earth theory treated with such disrepect compared to other Christian beliefs?
I believe you answered that above when you said: "To me each group latches on to a particular mindset that speaks to them and ignores evidence to the contrary"

No matter how compelling the evidence of flat earth I gave to either theists like Christians, or atheists, neither side would make that next step in investigating it further? Christians, more than atheists avoided the issue not to look stupid, which goes smack against Christ's teaching.

Could it be that Christians, or theists in general been worshipping man made gods for so long, that evidence for a Flat Earth would reveal that a real Creator, unlike any they have known made this earth and the stars? It may be frightening for them since it's not just the Globe Heliocentric earth that they would have to give up?

This video by Eric Dubay answered most of my questions about a Flat Earth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5i_iDyUTCg&t=72s

And yes, I am a Flat Earther. Is there a Usergroup for this?

Trump
Banned
Banned

Post #254

Post by Trump »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to post 231 by shnarkle]
Nope. There is a vanishing point on a flat plane. It is a set distance depending on your elevation, and the size of the object at the vanishing point
Only in an alternate universe is this true. The vanishing point is related to resolution and the size of the object. There are stars and nebula that cannot be resolved with a naked eye. However, the application of magnification and increased resolution reveals them.
In artists rendering, just as in the I-Pad astronomy app, it has all the stars, and when you zoom in on one, guess what? It's NASA's artist rendered CGI planets. Anything to keep us from seeing from what their/our multimillion dollar telescopes really show?

Here is how satellites fly in space
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig3ruKbG2AU

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #255

Post by Bust Nak »

Trump wrote: No matter how compelling the evidence of flat earth I gave to either theists like Christians, or atheists, neither side would make that next step in investigating it further?
Loaded question cannot be answered. The premise that compelling evidence of flat earth exists, is false.
Christians, more than atheists avoided the issue not to look stupid, which goes smack against Christ's teaching.
That's why I introduced you to this thread, trying get Christians to turn on each other over trivial matters. No globe Christian is taking the bait though.
Could it be that Christians, or theists in general been worshipping man made gods for so long, that evidence for a Flat Earth would reveal that a real Creator, unlike any they have known made this earth and the stars?
Nah, it is because the evidence against a flat Earth is overwhelming that even the typical "ignoring the evidence" type could see through it.
You may create your own once you have collected enough tokens.
It's NASA's artist rendered CGI planets. Anything to keep us from seeing from what their/our multimillion dollar telescopes really show?
Or you can just use a budget telescope and see nebulas with your own eyes?
Here is how satellites fly in space...
Oh? Prove it. Or was the video itself supposed to be the "compelling evidence" you mentioned above?

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #256

Post by DanieltheDragon »

Trump wrote:
Nope. There is a vanishing point on a flat plane. It is a set distance depending on your elevation, and the size of the object at the vanishing point
Only in an alternate universe is this true. The vanishing point is related to resolution and the size of the object. There are stars and nebula that cannot be resolved with a naked eye. However, the application of magnification and increased resolution reveals them.
In artists rendering, just as in the I-Pad astronomy app, it has all the stars, and when you zoom in on one, guess what? It's NASA's artist rendered CGI planets. Anything to keep us from seeing from what their/our multimillion dollar telescopes really show?

You don't need a multi million dollar telescope... I have a 10" diameter Orion that can see the red spot on Jupiter. I can also track Jupiter's moons and the rotation of Jupiter. Nothing digital involves. Further more once I have my polar alignment platform built that accounts for the earth rotation I can take long exposures of galaxies and nebulas that cannot be seen with the naked eye.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #257

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to post 252 by Trump]
No matter how compelling the evidence of flat earth I gave to either theists like Christians, or atheists, neither side would make that next step in investigating it further?

There is zero evidence for a flat earth, compelling or otherwise. The Earth's shape, mass, rotation rate, etc. have been directly measured via many different methods that all prove, conclusively, that the Earth is an oblate spheroid. So this whole discussion is really a waste of time, but I'd be curious if your erroneous views also apply to the other planets in our solar system, as well as the Sun. Do you think those are all also "flat" for some reason? Did we land on a flat moon in 1969?

Do you not believe that all bodies above a certain mass will form a spherical shape due to gravity, and that the Earth has a mass greater than this limit? Why are most items in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter not spherical but still three dimensional and not flat? Is it just a coincidence that all observed exoplanets to date are spherical, but somehow the Earth is "flat"?

You have absolutely no evidence to support your view, and overwhelming evidence that proves a globe Earth, but do you think all astronomical bodies are pancakes in defiance of gravity and direct observation, or is it just the Earth that you are terribly confused about?
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

Trump
Banned
Banned

Post #258

Post by Trump »

Bust Nak wrote:
Trump wrote: No matter how compelling the evidence of flat earth I gave to either theists like Christians, or atheists, neither side would make that next step in investigating it further?
Loaded question cannot be answered. The premise that compelling evidence of flat earth exists, is false.
Yes sir, I will try to remember that, on this Forum anyways.
Christians, more than atheists avoided the issue not to look stupid, which goes smack against Christ's teaching.
That's why I introduced you to this thread, trying get Christians to turn on each other over trivial matters. No globe Christian is taking the bait though.
Why would a member of the Christian Religion go against a doctrine they created?
Could it be that Christians, or theists in general been worshipping man made gods for so long, that evidence for a Flat Earth would reveal that a real Creator, unlike any they have known made this earth and the stars?
Nah, it is because the evidence against a flat Earth is overwhelming that even the typical "ignoring the evidence" type could see through it.
Thank you, I will try to remember that too. So far you have:
1. The premise that compelling evidence of flat earth exists, is false
2. the evidence against a flat Earth is overwhelming that even the typical "ignoring the evidence" type could see through it
You may create your own once you have collected enough tokens.
Thanks again. So no Usergroup for flat earth on a 14 year old Christian Forum? Could it be that no one made it to the cost of this special Usergroup? Just asking?
It's NASA's artist rendered CGI planets. Anything to keep us from seeing from what their/our multimillion dollar telescopes really show?
Or you can just use a budget telescope and see nebulas with your own eyes?
You see nebulas, I see "innumerable stars" that look like clouds because there are so many of them. But I will try to avoid saying "clouds of stars in our heavens" and instead use "clouds of gas and dust in outer space".
Bust Nak wrote:
Here is how satellites fly in space...
Oh? Prove it. Or was the video itself supposed to be the "compelling evidence" you mentioned above?
No sir, it was the News about "New, intercontinental telecommunication cables being put under our oceans" and I pass by these so called satellites on mountain tops, and on tall buildings, that our home satellite-dishes are pointing at.

Besides, if there were any satellites in space, then we would never have seen this commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdYoM2HlqW4

I see you are one of the moderators, isn't that like a conflict of interest or something like that?

Trump
Banned
Banned

Post #259

Post by Trump »

DanieltheDragon wrote:
Trump wrote:

You don't need a multi million dollar telescope... I have a 10" diameter Orion that can see the red spot on Jupiter. I can also track Jupiter's moons and the rotation of Jupiter. Nothing digital involves. Further more once I have my polar alignment platform built that accounts for the earth rotation I can take long exposures of galaxies and nebulas that cannot be seen with the naked eye.
I have a 10" Celestron and I can barely see the stars, but with yours you can see clouds of gas and dust millions and trillions of light years away in outer space?

I should have bought an Orion.

Are you sure you are seeing dust and gas, and not just innumerable stars bunched up like the sand on the seashore?

Trump
Banned
Banned

Post #260

Post by Trump »

DrNoGods wrote: [Replying to post 252 by Trump]
No matter how compelling the evidence of flat earth I gave to either theists like Christians, or atheists, neither side would make that next step in investigating it further?

There is zero evidence for a flat earth, compelling or otherwise.
Yes, a very good opening statement. It's like our children going to their science class and seeing the globe there, so they wouldn't even dare to ask if the earth was flat or not, even the D- students would laugh and mock them.
The Earth's shape, mass, rotation rate, etc. have been directly measured via many different methods that all prove, conclusively, that the Earth is an oblate spheroid.
By all means, pleas show me some of these "direct measurements", hopefully they videoed these measurements for educational purposes?
I know the 43 year old actual photo of earth called the "Blue Marble" from space contradicted Neil Degrassee Tysons instruction that the earth was "pear shaped".
So this whole discussion is really a waste of time, but I'd be curious if your erroneous views also apply to the other planets in our solar system, as well as the Sun. Do you think those are all also "flat" for some reason? Did we land on a flat moon in 1969?
Waste of time
Erroneous views
planets
solar system
hint, hint which makes me think twice before I answer, or should I even dare to answer and look all stupid-like?
Nah, even after all the warning-signs, I'll start with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdNFo5eWf9g
Do you not believe that all bodies above a certain mass will form a spherical shape due to gravity, and that the Earth has a mass greater than this limit? Why are most items in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter not spherical but still three dimensional and not flat? Is it just a coincidence that all observed exoplanets to date are spherical, but somehow the Earth is "flat"?
Gravity? You mean that magical force that pulls moons around planets but unable to pull moons around giant moons, that gravity?
The one that when mixed with space vacuum, helps expand this so called universe, and eventually will change and pull the expanding universe to a big-crunch and another Big-Bang?
All stars were created different in shape and glory where God even gave them names. But one day they will all fall to earth, that's what the Bible says, so it will be done.
The Earth is flat because of observation, and the seas are flat and level too, that's why we call it sea-level. Can you imagine the force it would take to hold the oceans to a spinning ball so perfectly? Especially on a ball that's spinning on an axis at 1000mph while exposed to the vacuum of space? Have you seen what happens to water when exposed to a vacuum? It freezes, yet we have fluffy clouds floating around, and cirrus clouds that go up to 20,000 feet, yet not sucked into the infinite vacuum of space!
I mean who comes up with these stories anyways? This is why indoctrination, like putting globes in every classroom, in cartoons, movies is such an important facet to the Big Bang theory. Like what you guys do here in your posts, so go ahead, dare to mention the flat earth.
You have absolutely no evidence to support your view, and overwhelming evidence that proves a globe Earth, but do you think all astronomical bodies are pancakes in defiance of gravity and direct observation, or is it just the Earth that you are terribly confused about?
Do I need to say more? I'm just wondering what will happen if I continue to ignore all the warning signs, will I last long enough to afford my own Usergroup called Flat Earth? I mean it would be nice to be the first to do it here.