Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

Comparing Miracles

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

A quote from C.S. Lewis:

"Whatever men may say no one really thinks that the Christian doctrine of the REsurrection is exactly on the same level with some pious tittle-tattle about how Mother Egaree Louise miraculously found her second best thimble by the aid of St. Anthony...Even those who thnk all stories of miracles absurd think some very much more absurd than others."

Do you agree with this claim?

Willum
Savant

Re: Comparing Miracles

Post #21

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 17 by liamconnor]

I think I speak for the forum when I say:
"Huh?"

It is the cornerstone of the religion, and it is non-explainable?

If it can't be explained, or, I'll lean a little more forward; if it has no purpose, why is it a part of the religion?

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by Justin108 »

liamconnor wrote:As for the question, "Why didn't God do this sooner", I think it is an interesting question. But simply because a question is interesting and cannot be answered, doesn't mean that the question suddenly becomes an argument.
Odd. Didn't you open countless topic that basically amounted to "if Jesus didn't come back from the dead, then what did happen?"
liamconnor wrote: But simply because a question is interesting and cannot be answered, doesn't mean that the question suddenly becomes an argument.
It doesn't take much to turn it into an argument though.

P1 - If paying a ransom was the only way to obtain salvation, then the rational thing to do would be to pay the ransom as soon as possible
P2 - God did not pay the ransom as soon as possible
C - Therefore, God did not do the rational thing

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #23

Post by Kenisaw »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
What exactly was the price to be paid? A permanent death or a temporary death? A physical death or a spiritual death?

Death ie the sacrifice of one human life. There was not clause imposing permanence. The sacrifice was of one perfect human life.
Ok now all humans die.
Only Jesus was a perfect human so only Jesus could pay one perfect human life; rendering the rest of your post totally irrelevant; which is why it will be discarded as such.

Have a nice day,

JW
I guess Jesus wasn't fully human then, since no human has ever been perfect. Seems the Christian claim contradicts itself there. But then the claim of being "fully god" and "fully human" is an oxymoron to begin with...