What is the correct way to interpret the Bible?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

What is the correct way to interpret the Bible?

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: those that interpret the bible correctly will never find any of its statements contradict proven scientific fact.
What is the "correct" way to interpret the Bible? Is there an objective "correct" way to interpret the Bible? If so, what methods should one employ to interpret the Bible "correctly"?

Let's use Genesis 1 as an example. What is the correct interpretation of Genesis 1 and what method did you employ to conclude your interpretation?

Specifically...

1. Is Genesis 1 literal or metaphorical? (what method did you use to reach this conclusion?)

2. If it is metaphorical, what is it a metaphor for? (what method did you use to reach this conclusion?)

3. What is your explanation for the Genesis 1 claim that God created plants before he created the sun? (and again, what method did you use to reach this conclusion?)

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Re: What is the correct way to interpret the Bible?

Post #21

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 8 by JehovahsWitness]
No you need to study the bible and prove to yourself that the bible is God's word and a book of truth that can be trusted.
You said "firstly".

Methodology would be firstly to do what you need to do to accept that the bible is God's word and truthful

If I don't do the "firstly" bit, whenever I read the Bible, I come to the conclusion it is not [a] God's word or truthful in the vast majority of its text.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #22

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 12 by 2timothy316]
Which is following the footsteps of Jesus as closely as possible.
What exactly does this mean? I presume you don't chase out moneylenders/merchants from churches, suggest that adulterous women be struck first by sinless people or get yourself nailed to a piece of wood.
Obviously there are things that Jesus reportedly did that you yourself think or feel no inclination to do, so why say the above? It would be a different matter if you had said you try to emulate Jesus generally, but no. You said "as closely as possible", which obviously isn't true.
Doing this has never failed to produce a happy and secure life.
Except for when it has. You have made the claim that emulating Jesus never fails to produce a happy and secure life. I only have to provide ONE example where that isn't the case and the above claim falls apart.
My example is myself. As a child, I tried to emulate Jesus. As a result, my life was not happy and not secure.
Illustration: A person buys an all-you-can-eat buffet meal. He pays and then goes and sits down at a table with his receipt. He has the receipt showing that he can eat as much as he wants but will simply holding on to that receipt feed him? No. He needs to get up and actually go get his food.
"Ask and ye shall receive".

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #23

Post by Benoni »

[Replying to post 22 by rikuoamero]

1 Corinthians 2:
14But the natural, nonspiritual man does not accept or welcome or admit into his heart the gifts and teachings and revelations of the Spirit of God, for they are folly (meaningless nonsense) to him; and he is incapable of knowing them [of progressively recognizing, understanding, and becoming better acquainted with them] because they are spiritually discerned and estimated and appreciated.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by Justin108 »

Benoni wrote: [Replying to post 22 by rikuoamero]

1 Corinthians 2:
14But the natural, nonspiritual man does not accept or welcome or admit into his heart the gifts and teachings and revelations of the Spirit of God, for they are folly (meaningless nonsense) to him; and he is incapable of knowing them [of progressively recognizing, understanding, and becoming better acquainted with them] because they are spiritually discerned and estimated and appreciated.
Suppose the Quran had a verse like that. How would you respond?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #25

Post by McCulloch »

Justin108 wrote:What is the "correct" way to interpret the Bible?
If it agrees with what you already believe, then it must be the correct way.
Justin108 wrote:Is there an objective "correct" way to interpret the Bible?
You are kidding. Right?
Justin108 wrote:Is Genesis 1 literal or metaphorical? (what method did you use to reach this conclusion?
I believe that it is meant to be taken literally. Expressions involving days and nights are not used figuratively elsewhere.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #26

Post by JehovahsWitness »

rikuoamero wrote: [Replying to post 8 by JehovahsWitness]
No you need to study the bible and prove to yourself that the bible is God's word and a book of truth that can be trusted.
If I don't do the "firstly" bit, whenever I read the Bible, I come to the conclusion it is not [a] God's word or truthful in the vast majority of its text.

Fair enough. A refusal to learn is the receipe for ignorance, and sadly there is no methodology to combate that. My advice was for those that chose to take in enough information to make an informed decision about the bible.
To illustrate: If you choose not to "firstly" go to lessons or take in any knowledge of French, your chances of becoming fluent in the language will be greatly reduced... to zero. One could be forgiven therefore, for not turning to such a person for their opinion on the French language.
If someone choses not to take in information about the bible, they cannot hope to enjoy any of the later benefits or successfully complete any of the later steps in the methodology I outlined ( see post #6 above).

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #27

Post by Benoni »

Justin108 wrote:

1 Corinthians 2:
I really do not care what the Quran has to say.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #28

Post by Justin108 »

Benoni wrote:
Justin108 wrote:

1 Corinthians 2:
Why not? What if Allah is the one, true god?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #29

Post by 2timothy316 »

rikuoamero wrote:
Which is following the footsteps of Jesus as closely as possible. What exactly does this mean? I presume you don't chase out moneylenders/merchants from churches,
Um yes exactly what I mean. You will find no merchants or banks in a Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. I'm not responsible for what happens in other people's religions or churches. Just like Jesus didn't go into the temples of the Roman gods and try to straighten them out. Yet I am responsible for what happens in my congregation. It doesn't have to be whips to accomplish this either.
suggest that adulterous women be struck first by sinless people or get yourself nailed to a piece of wood.
I am guessing you are referring to John 8:7 about the woman. Are you aware that John 8:1-11 is widely accepted as not from John? This is why it is important to study the Bible. Otherwise one can quote something that is not from actually in Jesus' footsteps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_and ... n_adultery

However, if we were still under the Mosaic Law then yes I'd follow it just as Jesus did. Yet Jesus ended that law so Christians are not under law to enforce Justice. That has been given to the world's governments. (Romans 13:1)

I would indeed allow myself to be nailed to a piece of wood and yes even die for following Jesus' footsteps. There is no greater thing I could give for my God than giving my life to save my follow man. This doesn't mean killing in war as other have perverted this sacrifice. As Jesus killed no one in war while on Earth.
Obviously there are things that Jesus reportedly did that you yourself think or feel no inclination to do, so why say the above? It would be a different matter if you had said you try to emulate Jesus generally, but no. You said "as closely as possible", which obviously isn't true.
You are putting words in people's mouths. What do you know of me? Nothing! Just because you couldn't endure doesn't mean no one else can. :roll:

All true Christians I know of strive to follow Jesus footsteps as closely as possible. Yet since we are imperfect and this world is not setup to help follow Jesus' footsteps, no one can do it perfectly.
Doing this has never failed to produce a happy and secure life.

Except for when it has. You have made the claim that emulating Jesus never fails to produce a happy and secure life. I only have to provide ONE example where that isn't the case and the above claim falls apart.
My example is myself. As a child, I tried to emulate Jesus. As a result, my life was not happy and not secure.
As a child? How about as an adult? Matt. 24:13 - “He who endures to the end will be saved.� Just because you stopped enduing doesn't mean following Jesus' footsteps doesn't lead to a better life. The ones I have seen, including myself, have endured trials and came on the other side better than when the trial began. I even have a video about one example of endurance. https://tv.jw.org/#en/mediaitems/VODInt ... 07_1_VIDEO

Job is another example. It's not the life of following Jesus that makes things difficult. It is those that oppose that life choice that make life difficult.

Like many others perhaps a life style was forced on you as a child. How are you even sure without enduring, that the life style given to you was the correct one? Or was it the right one but you wanted to follow your own course? Either way, you stopped enduring and without endurance to follow Jesus footsteps there is no path to happiness or even life either. There is only one way. “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6

Satan and wicked people rule for now. They are the cause for any suffering. However, these times will come to an end. "And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.� - Rev 21:4

Until that time, "We are hard-pressed in every way, but not cramped beyond movement; we are perplexed, but not absolutely with no way out; we are persecuted, but not abandoned; we are knocked down, but not destroyed." - 2 Cor 4:8, 9.

“God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear, but along with the temptation he will also make the way out in order for you to be able to endure it.� - 1 Corinthians 10:13

If you have stopped enduring then I have nothing else for you.
Illustration: A person buys an all-you-can-eat buffet meal. He pays and then goes and sits down at a table with his receipt. He has the receipt showing that he can eat as much as he wants but will simply holding on to that receipt feed him? No. He needs to get up and actually go get his food.

"Ask and ye shall receive".
Once received then what? James tells us...

“Become doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves with false reasoning.�—JAMES 1:22.
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #30

Post by Benoni »

Justin108 wrote:
Benoni wrote:
Justin108 wrote:

1 Corinthians 2:
Why not? What if Allah is the one, true god?
Dead issue. Not worth a debate. Do not care about allah.