The Solar Eclipse: Coincidence? Or Evidence of Design?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Volbrigade
Banned
Banned

The Solar Eclipse: Coincidence? Or Evidence of Design?

Post #1

Post by Volbrigade »

Here in the US, many people are eagerly awaiting the opportunity to observe a total solar eclipse. 14 million people reside in the path of totality. Many more are well within 90% of totality. The entire lower 48 will experience a degree of partiality.

Prompted by an PM exchange with another user, I am reminded of the astronomically small odds that the disc of the moon would fit precisely over the disc of the sun, relative to an observer on earth. This phenomenon allows for observation of the sun’s corona, which is otherwise undetectable to the naked eye. The observation and analysis of the corona led to advancements in the field of spectroscopy by Bunsen, Kirchhoff, Jansen, Huggins, Lockyear, and others. Those advancements, in turn, led to discoveries in astrophysics which have formed our current understanding(s) of the cosmos in which we exist.

Which begs an intriguing question. Is the precise matching of the diameter of the sun and moon, relative to the Earth, just another one of those “happy accidents� — a coincidence, comparable in scale to the probability of select amino acids linking up by chance to form proteins, which in turn link together to form a self-replicating code of protein “letters�, in the precise order necessary to code for a living cell, in Earth’s harsh primordial environment, 5 billion years or so ago? And those codes increasing in information content, through unguided cause-and-effect processes, in order to provide the blueprints for all living things?

A coincidence, like the simultaneous linkages of dimensionless constants — e.g., gravity, strong and weak force, electromagnetism — which provide the appearance of “fine tuning� the parameters of the universe? Of which incremental changes to would produce an environment too unstable for the periodic table, and thus the universe as we know it, to exist?

I’m sure the reader can see where I’m going with this. What if the appearance of “fine tuning� is related to the REALITY of fine tuning, by an Agent possessing mind, intelligence, and will, and which exists outside of the space time continuum which is Its (or “His�) creation?

And what if that Agent adjusted countless variables — i.e., the constants referred to; along with such physical factors as solar size, distance from star, axial tilt, position in a “clear� region of its galaxy, etc. — on one particular, specific planet, in order to generate an environment where intelligent life could not only exist, but have a sense of the scope of the cosmos in which it exists?

And what if the synchronicity displayed in a solar eclipse is not mere coincidence, but a deliberate design? The discoveries made possible by it, which have informed our astrophysical awareness, an indication that this universe is “designed� — by its Creator — “to be discovered�?

William
Savant

Re: The Solar Eclipse: Coincidence? Or Evidence of Design?

Post #111

Post by William »

[Replying to post 104 by Volbrigade]
"Indeed it is..." the area in which we disagree. I am agreeing with you. I won't bother trying to prove it.

That would be a waste of time because no one can prove that the bible is the truth. The area of disagreement is in that you choose to believe it is the truth and I do not. The more truthful expression would have to be "indeed, I believe it is the truth." which of course then allows for the observation that believing something to be true does not mean that it is actually the truth.

Any truthful person would acknowledge this as being the case and use language to express this, which is one reason why I turned my back on Christianity, because it is demonstrably not truthful and uses language to express untruthfulness which in turn produces untruthful behavior.
Um... does the Dionysus myth incorporate known historical figures, including local ones? Is it set in a particular time and place? Does it center on a man who is known to have lived? With a genealogy, which comes as a product of living among an established people group, who are still extant and distinct today, and re-established in their ancestral land as a nation, against all odds?

"In Christ, the myth became fact."
Well that is an interesting point of view you have there, that the myths were made manifest in order that Jesus could make them real at a later date.
:D
Precisely how the Romans would have designed it in order for the gullible people to adopt it as an 'actual truth' to cling to, no matter what.
Maybe true, as far as it goes.
No, Definitely true. There is no reason why belief in ancient myth, or that Jesus rose from the dead should have any bearing on ones ability to behave in a benevolent manner.
The main reason to believe ANYTHING, imho, is if it is TRUE.
The existence of the moon is true. Therefore there is no need to believe the moon exists.

Unfortunately the word believe and the word know have become conflated and this has lead to allowing the words to be used interchangeably.

You believe that the bible is TRUE because you want the bible to be true, but you don't KNOW that the bible is true.
That is the truth of the matter. You want it to be true, you are told to have faith in it being true, you equate the GOD of the bible as being the real deal, as you state your opinion is that the God of the Bible is the only candidate that 'checks all the boxes'.
Nothing belief based can ever truthfully be regarded as actually truth/true.
Which the Resurrection is. It is the greatest truth available to humanity.
Your opinion based on your belief. There is no evidence that the story is truth, let alone how it could possibly help humanities situation if everyone believed in it. Even assuming that every Christian believed in it, that is ample enough numbers to study the affect the belief has on them as individuals and how that effects the world for the better.

What evidence we do have which is undeniable is the history of Christendom on the people of the planet, which - without going into the horrific details, amounts to one big support system for elitism and disparity - which continues to suppress humanity with its superstitions and two-faced hypocrisy.
Can you be subjectively "nice", and not accept it? Sure, I guess. Who cares?
Well it is an important observation and certainly I care as anyone seeking truthfulness would care. We don't need fables dressed up as 'truth' in order to entice us to be nice. It is that simple. It is simple observation that such fables taught as truth have not produced anything nice from those who believe in them. History shows us this. There is no truth in denying that.

William
Savant

Post #112

Post by William »

[Replying to post 109 by Volbrigade]

LOL. What I'm not in need of is another warning. I don't wish a suspension, for giving an unpleasant tar baby like you the punch in the nose you richly deserve.
Oh you are definitely heading that way for sure. Keep it up and there is no doubt that is exactly how it will end for you on this board.

Neatras
Guru

Post #113

Post by Neatras »

William wrote: [Replying to post 109 by Volbrigade]

LOL. What I'm not in need of is another warning. I don't wish a suspension, for giving an unpleasant tar baby like you the punch in the nose you richly deserve.
Oh you are definitely heading that way for sure. Keep it up and there is no doubt that is exactly how it will end for you on this board.
I'm honestly shocked this has been allowed to go on for so long. A healthy debate environment is one which demands every person who comes forward to give a little bit of themselves, to invest in a way that they may actually come away different. But what I've just seen uttered on this forum is a declaration of spitefulness. There is no spirit of debate here, there is no instance of wanting to have a good discourse. The pure evil in that one post disillusions me to the idea that Volbrigade was ever interested in an honest debate. But then again, I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect this in the long-term, given how Vol has often asserted without evidence, declared ad hoc that evidence supports him without putting in the effort needed, and generally being a very suspicious individual. His post is toxic, and this entire thread is a farce.

Volbrigade
Banned
Banned

Post #114

Post by Volbrigade »

[Replying to post 110 by DrNoGods]

My goodness. I had no idea that my OP was going to require such an exercise in patience. Mine is severely fatigued. And so is my restraint. Like doing 1,000 curls with 10-lb. dumbbells. It's not the weight, which is trivial. It's the repetition. The following is about all I can muster of either (patience, or restraint).

How in God's name is it possible for anyone to miss what I was talking about, in terms of the odds of a solar eclipse? How can any intelligent, sentient creature NOT see that what I was NOT talking about was the odds of any eclipse occurring, or its predictability, GIVEN THE PARAMETERS WHICH HAVE BEEN SET WITHIN WHICH THEY OCCUR???

That is it the parameters themselves to which the long odds pertain? A star. A planet. A moon orbiting that planet, which is simultaneously 400 times smaller than the star, and 400 times closer to the planet. Making for a perfect fit, when their paths cross, about one third of the time.

And then, add to that, all of this taking place on THE ONLY PLANET IN THE UNIVERSE WHERE THERE IS INTELLIGENT LIFE TO OBSERVE IT.

I even made the comparison between the impossibility of abiogenesis, and of the m2m myth, just for emphasis.

(Dear God, you know I am a sinful man. And prone to incivility when pushed past a certain point of patience, due to obtuseness. Please, give me strength...)

As for your opinion re the OP -- it is essentially invalidated, just on the basis of the above.

Let me give you a little hint.

This is a site for discussing "Christianity and Religion".

The OP addresses the eclipse -- WHICH (ECLIPSES) HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO OUR SCIENTIFIC UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE, BY EXPOSING THE CORONA -- from that standpoint.

Whew.

I need a glass of wine. Or maybe a shot of Jim Beam.

Or both.

(EDIT):

Oh, Lordy. I just saw some of the remarks that came in while I was composing this.

This thread has become a competition in Whateverist obtuseness and density.

I hereby abandon it.

H.sapiens
Guru

Post #115

Post by H.sapiens »

Volbrigade wrote: [Replying to post 110 by DrNoGods]

My goodness. I had no idea that my OP was going to require such an exercise in patience. Mine is severely fatigued. And so is my restraint. Like doing 1,000 curls with 10-lb. dumbbells. It's not the weight, which is trivial. It's the repetition. The following is about all I can muster of either (patience, or restraint).
I guess, since this appears to be your first rodeo, that you have not considered that we have had to opportunity to develop way more patience for absurdity and non sequester than you have. We are, I suspect stronger and better prepared.
Volbrigade wrote: How in God's name is it possible for anyone to miss what I was talking about, in terms of the odds of a solar eclipse? How can any intelligent, sentient creature NOT see that what I was NOT talking about was the odds of any eclipse occurring, or its predictability, GIVEN THE PARAMETERS WHICH HAVE BEEN SET WITHIN WHICH THEY OCCUR???
And I demonstrated, back at Post 2 that your construct was utterly absurd, but, rather than making a case you just repeat yourself and now have shifted into whining mode. I can tell you from having seen literally hundreds of your fellow travelers that have preceded you that whining is a no more effective approach.
Volbrigade wrote: That is it the parameters themselves to which the long odds pertain? A star. A planet. A moon orbiting hat planet, which is simultaneously 400 times smaller than the star, and 400 times closer to the planet. Making for a perfect fit, when their paths cross, about one third of the time.
To make that case you must make a case for why this point in time is special because the moon used to be much closer an will be much further away in the future. But ... I am repeating myself and that is boring.
Volbrigade wrote: And then, add to that, all of this taking place on THE ONLY PLANET IN THE UNIVERSE WHERE THERE IS INTELLIGENT LIFE TO OBSERVE IT.
That is possible, but you have no data and no evidence and most authorities thing you dead wrong.
Volbrigade wrote: I even made the comparison between the impossibility of abiogenesis, and of the m2m myth, just for emphasis.
Even? That's just a further display of your lack of scientific background.
Volbrigade wrote: (Dear God, you know I am a sinful man. And prone to incivility when pushed past a certain point of patience, due to obtuseness. Please, give me strength...)
Prayer has not been shown to be efficacious.
Volbrigade wrote: As for your opinion re the OP -- it is essentially invalidated, just on the basis of the above.
Hardly, your argument has been falsified, ours has not.
Volbrigade wrote: Let me give you a little hint.
nd
This is a site for discussing "Christianity and Religion".
Yes, and you are in the SCIENCE AND RELIGION area. What is your point?
Volbrigade wrote: The OP addresses the eclipse -- WHICH (ECLIPSES) HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO OUR SCIENTIFIC UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE, BY EXPOSING THE CORONA -- from that standpoint.

Whew.

I need a glass of wine. Or maybe a shot of Jim Beam.

Or both.
A stronger background in science and logic would serve you better.
Volbrigade wrote:
(EDIT):

Oh, Lordy. I just saw some of the remarks that came in while I was composing this.

This thread has become a competition in Whateverist obtuseness and density.

I hereby abandon it.
Bye.

Volbrigade
Banned
Banned

Post #116

Post by Volbrigade »

[Replying to post 115 by H.sapiens]

It comes as no surprise that you've mistaken a post intended for DNG, as being addressed to you, HS.

Post #109 contains my comments to you.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #117

Post by Elijah John »

Moderator Intervention

This thread has gotten way out of hand and is hereby locked. We as a team will attempt to untangle it with more specific comments and warnings forthcoming.

Rules
C&A Guidelines

Moderator interventions do not count as a strike against any posters. They are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels that some sort of intervention is required.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #118

Post by Elijah John »

Volbrigade wrote: [Replying to post 107 by H.sapiens]

LOL. What I'm not in need of is another warning. I don't wish a suspension, for giving an unpleasant tar baby like you the punch in the nose you richly deserve.... And I get tar all over me. Or -- is that... tar? And... what's that smell?

why are you so unpleasant? Problems in your personal life?
:warning: Moderator Final Warning

Although there is enough blame to go around, this is the worst and earns you a final warning. I think you know better, at least I hope you do. I realize that your "punch in the nose" comment is rhetorical, but still...way over the line.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator final warnings serve as the last strike towards users. Additional violations will result in a probation vote. Further infractions will lead to banishment. Any challenges or replies to moderator warnings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

-YHVH is LORD

Elijah John
Savant

Post #119

Post by Elijah John »

Elijah John wrote:
Volbrigade wrote: [Replying to post 107 by H.sapiens]

LOL. What I'm not in need of is another warning. I don't wish a suspension, for giving an unpleasant tar baby like you the punch in the nose you richly deserve.... And I get tar all over me. Or -- is that... tar? And... what's that smell?

why are you so unpleasant? Problems in your personal life?
:warning: Moderator Final Warning

Although there is enough blame to go around, this is the worst and earns you a final warning. I think you know better, at least I hope you do. I realize that your "punch in the nose" comment is rhetorical, but still...way over the line.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator final warnings serve as the last strike towards users. Additional violations will result in a probation vote. Further infractions will lead to banishment. Any challenges or replies to moderator warnings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Moderator Comment

Also, to several other participants with Volbrigade, the most I see is uncivil tone, baiting, and unauthorized moderation. So I will leave it non-specific and not name names this time, but as the teacher used to say, you know who you are...;)

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

-YHVH is LORD