Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

What is God?

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

What is God?
Is God not beyond definition?
Why do we argue about the existence of that which is beyond definition?

Hawkins
Scholar

Post #101

Post by Hawkins »

God is a figure from those who (basically Jews) encountered Him and wrote it down about Him and His deeds.

It's more or less like history. The difference is that history is the recording of human deeds.

History basically has no evidence. What evidence can you show us for what you yourself just did yesterday?

Willum
Savant

Post #102

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 101 by Hawkins]

Garbage. Anything I may have written on brass or sheepskin. Any people I may have raised from the dead and their testimony, an Ark of the Covenant, Ten Commandments on Stone, the list goes on and on.

Lots and lots.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Hawkins
Scholar

Post #103

Post by Hawkins »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 101 by Hawkins]

Garbage. Anything I may have written on brass or sheepskin. Any people I may have raised from the dead and their testimony, an Ark of the Covenant, Ten Commandments on Stone, the list goes on and on.

Lots and lots.
Garbage. It only shows that you are clueless about what human witnessing is. In the case that Christianity is true, the only way for this truth to propagate is for humans such as Moses to write it down for others to believe with faith. There's no alternative around!

Get a clue!

This actually applies to what you yourself just did yesterday. Whether you tell the truth or lie, the only way we can get to know what you did is by putting faith in an account of human testimony, whether it is written by you or someone else. There's no other way round!

That's why, if you are willing to martyr yourself to back up what you wrote about what happened to you yesterday, I will believe as it doesn't make sense for you to kill yourself in order to tell a lie to me!

Again, get a clue!

dio9
Under Probation

Re: What is God?

Post #104

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 100 by Clownboat]

No I got if from a book . I think it was from the Bhagavad Gita . But you don't accept the wisdom of the ancients ,do ya?

Willum
Savant

Post #105

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 103 by Hawkins]

Hit a nerve did I friend?
Take a break, do some reflection. You'll see the reason you can't find anything from the Bible, the geological evidence of a flood, the testament of Lazarus after the return, and so on, is it was made up.

It was all made up. If you can find a description that better fits all the data, I'm listening, otherwise, relax,let it settle in.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

otseng
Savant

Post #106

Post by otseng »

Clownboat wrote: Did your mommy tell you this, or were you going to start presenting actual arguments here on this debate forum?

Perhaps your mommy will join so she can tell us why she makes these claims? I am curious after all.
:warning: Moderator Warning

Comments such as this is considered disrespectful and uncivil.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #107

Post by Danmark »

dio9 wrote: [Replying to post 94 by Monta]

without faith there would be no civilized political or scientific advancement.
Do you have ANY support for this unsupported claim?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #108

Post by Clownboat »

dio9 wrote: [Replying to post 100 by Clownboat]

No I got if from a book . I think it was from the Bhagavad Gita . But you don't accept the wisdom of the ancients ,do ya?
I accept wisdom.
However, something being old does not make it wisdom, it makes it old.

So, when you said:
"without faith there would be no civilized political or scientific advancement."
were you going to start presenting actual arguments here on this debate forum?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

William
Savant

Post #109

Post by William »

[Replying to post 107 by Danmark]

[Replying to post 108 by Clownboat]
"without faith there would be no civilized political or scientific advancement."
I think this is relevant. Even if it is faith in ones human abilities.

But even in relation to theism, isn't it factual that theists through the ages were involved in civilized political and scientific advancement, and still are?

In any case, as much as organised religions left their dirty bloodstained little boot-prints all over the show, there is definite connection with that and social advancement as the indigenous peoples and their cultures were content enough to continue along the same path they had trodden down and the push of European culture forced technology and science to the fore.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the process was particularly civilized though. Certainly not the actions taken against said indigenous people. But without those actions it is pretty certain that we would not be where we presently are, as a species.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #110

Post by paarsurrey1 »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
dio9 wrote: [Replying to post 86 by Danmark]

I present the evidence again and again but you do not accept it. This world is the evidence which reveals the presence of God.
This world is evidence of the truthful attributive God, not of Jesus-god invented by Paul.Please
Regards
Just to add:
I understand that the positive verities found in the Universe are attributes of One-True-God.
Regards