What is the definition of sin?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

What is the definition of sin?

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Another drive-by post for me, but in another OP everyone wanted to know my definition off sin:
My response was to use the Bible, I have no personal opinion.

But so many people wanted to know my opinion and to define it, I thought it would be worth creating the topic for them to discuss in.

So, here is a topic specifically about the definition of sin.
Please discuss.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by ttruscott »

dio9 wrote: Sin is simply disobedience , when God is the law giver and judge. ... To disobey any of those is sin.
To disobey a law is to be in discord with HIS character which the law reflected...
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

wiploc
Guru

Re: What is the definition of sin?

Post #12

Post by wiploc »

Willum wrote:What is the definition of sin?
Sin is doubting or disobeying Jehovah, with doubt being the larger part. Thus, Eve sinned before she ate the apple, when she entertained the serpent's argument that Jehovah didn't have her best interests in mind when he forbade eating the fruit.

Sin shouldn't be conflated with evil. Evil is the punishment for sin. Evil is the sources of unhappiness. Anything that causes unhappiness is evil.

It is easy to confuse sin and evil because some behaviors (like gluttony) are disobedient and also cause unhappiness.

marco
Savant

Post #13

Post by marco »

dio9 wrote: Sin is simply disobedience , when God is the law giver and judge.
Then only those who think God exists can sin. Others are not disobeying.
dio9 wrote:
God gave Adam one word of law to obey. His disobedience brought death upon him.
Death came about because of our chemical structure not because the first caveman chose the wrong fruit to eat. Early experimenters probably did eat poisonous berries but by doing so, gave later specimens life.

dio9 wrote:

We Christians now have simplified the Law to 10 commandments. To disobey any of those is sin.
But each command covers a multitude of sins.

Savant

Post #14

Post by 1213 »

marco wrote: Psalm 5:5 "The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity."

…Sin is defined as some wrong done in the eyes of the divine….
But it is not defined in that Psalm, so can you please show the scripture that defines sin?

Prince
Scholar

Post #15

Post by Prince »

As it is written;

"Then those who revered the Lord spoke with one another and the Lord listened attentively and a book was opened and a record kept of those who revered the Lord and trusted in His name. And they will be my own special possession when I take action says the Lord. I will have compassion on them like a Father has compassion on his son who serves him. Then you will again see the distinction between the just and the wicked between those who serve God and those who do not."

" Sinners won't be allowed in the assembly of the righteous. "

marco
Savant

Post #16

Post by marco »

1213 wrote:
marco wrote: Psalm 5:5 "The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity."

…Sin is defined as some wrong done in the eyes of the divine….
But it is not defined in that Psalm, so can you please show the scripture that defines sin?

In John 8:11 we have "And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.". The lady didn't ask where sin is defined in the Bible. She knew what it was. When I said "sin is defined as..." I was indicating what we mean by the word sin. And it is the meaning Jesus supposed the naughty lady knew. We don't get our definitions from a Bible text; we draw our conclusions from what is written.

marco
Savant

Post #17

Post by marco »

Prince wrote:
" Sinners won't be allowed in the assembly of the righteous. "

And I guess they wouldn't want to be, since the assembly of the righteous sounds rather dry and dull.

But you are right in linking sinner with offence against God. Given that he takes offence at almost anything, we are indubitably all sinners, in his celestial eyes.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #18

Post by dio9 »

marco wrote:
dio9 wrote:
That was Paul's argument thinking was the law that made him a sinner.

God gave Adam one word of law to obey. His disobedience brought death upon him.
Death came about because of our chemical structure not because the first caveman chose the wrong fruit to eat. Early experimenters probably did eat poisonous berries but by doing so, gave later specimens life.

dio9 wrote:
As you say yes, but from his writings it seems Paul believed death was the consequence of Adam's disobedience.

We Christians now have simplified the Law to 10 commandments. To disobey any of those is sin.
Yes but Paul has simplified the Law for us.

marco
Savant

Post #19

Post by marco »

dio9 wrote:

Yes but Paul has simplified the Law for us.

That was nice of him but rather presumptuous. Whose word carries more weight: God's or Paul's or are we supposing that on the road to Damascus God whispered to Paul that he could amend God's previous injunctions?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by ttruscott »

marco wrote:
Far from it in the Christian definition of reality. All humans have clearly seen the power and Deity of YHWH proven so that we have no excuse for disbelief nor disobedience but our love for sin (called an enslaving addiction) causes us to repress the truth we know because we love sin more. This doctrine is explained in Rom 1:20 to the end of the chapter.

Being sinful cannot take one off the hook for being a sinner.
marco wrote:
dio9 wrote: We Christians now have simplified the Law to 10 commandments. To disobey any of those is sin.
Indeed and to break the least of the commandments is the same as breaking them all because the natural consequence of breaking the least or the strongest is to become enslaved to evil without any way to be made free except by the grace of GOD through faith...if you reject GOD's help, you are sinful forever.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.