Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

America to recognise Jerusalem

Post #1

Post by Furrowed Brow »

US to recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital

Anyone else think this invites more terrorism and signals ever more turmoil?

Wootah
Savant

Re: America to recognise Jerusalem

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Furrowed Brow]

Do you think what a woman wears invites or justifies rape?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

Furrowed Brow wrote: US to recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital

I have extreme problems with Donald Trump arbitrarily doing this on behave of all of America.

Why should the President decide what America as a whole will recognize? Shouldn't that be up to "We the People"? (i.e. Congress).

This is a dictatorship where Americans are being held hostage by Donald Trump's personal whim. A man who has already proven himself to be mentally unstable and out of touch with reality.

America now represents the arbitrary whims of a mad man. It certainly doesn't represent "We the People".

Yes I agree, what Trump has just done will inflame the Middle East Crisis to be certain. Trump has basically just ended any peace talks in the Middle East and has proclaimed a totalitarian victory for Israel. That's not going to go over well for the Arab nations.

This is also going to give Islamic terrorist groups a very powerful shot-in-the-arm boosting their recruiting capability to a whole knew level. Yes, I imagine Terrorism is going to be on steroids now.

~~~~~

I don't believe in the prophesy of the Abrahamic religions. But Donald Trump is certainly behaving precisely as the Anti-Christ would do. This could be a "self-fulfilling" prophesy. Trump is doing this to pump up his evangelical base of Christian fanatics, and he couldn't care less if it incites more terrorism and animosity with Islamic nations. In fact, he appears to thrive on conflict and acting like a bully.

Trump could bring humanity to its knees causing so much world conflict and animosity that it may be impossible to recover from.

America has just handed the most powerful nation on earth over to an immature mentally ill mad man. And now the entire world is going to suffer the consequences.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

bluethread
Savant

Post #4

Post by bluethread »

Divine Insight wrote:

I have extreme problems with Donald Trump arbitrarily doing this on behave of all of America.

Why should the President decide what America as a whole will recognize? Shouldn't that be up to "We the People"? (i.e. Congress).
Because, in Article 2 of the Constitution of these United States, "We the People" have vested that authority in the President. Recognition of a capital is not a treaty, but a State department policy. Also, Congress is not "We the People". "We the People" have vested the Congress with certain innumerated powers and the recognition of foreign capitals is not one of them. Though you might be concerned about the executive branch becoming a dictatorship, however, equating Congress with "We the People" amounts to nothing more or less than establishing an oligarchy. If every State Department decision required the proverbial "act of Congress", it would be impossible to effectively engage in foreign policy. That is why, short of a treaty, the President is granted that power.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Israel and Palestine have been reasonably quiet, recently.

And if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The corollary to that epithet is that if it ain't broke, and you try to fix it, you will probably break it.

Other than more divisiveness, in America and in the world, I don't see what Trump or America stand to gain. But then, Trump thrives on controversy.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #6

Post by Divine Insight »

bluethread wrote: Though you might be concerned about the executive branch becoming a dictatorship, however, equating Congress with "We the People" amounts to nothing more or less than establishing an oligarchy.
I agree that American democracy hardly represents "We the People".

But then again, all this basically means is that "We the People" is nothing more than an empty phrase. It sounds good, but basically has no meat. :D

In other words, the true situation in America is that we are being run by an independent dictator (i.e. the president), who is only slightly restrained by a Congress that itself does not represent the people.

I won't disagree with that at all.

And I would also say that we have been very fortunate over the decades to have had presidents and a congress who were fairly sane and at least tried to do what's right for the people.

Apparently that tradition has ended with this new administration.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

bluethread
Savant

Post #7

Post by bluethread »

Divine Insight wrote:
bluethread wrote: Though you might be concerned about the executive branch becoming a dictatorship, however, equating Congress with "We the People" amounts to nothing more or less than establishing an oligarchy.
I agree that American democracy hardly represents "We the People".

But then again, all this basically means is that "We the People" is nothing more than an empty phrase. It sounds good, but basically has no meat. :D
I didn't say that. "We the People" is not an empty phrase. It states that governmental authority comes from the consent of the governed. Last time I checked "We the People" still have elections to choose the President and those who represent us in Congress.
In other words, the true situation in America is that we are being run by an independent dictator (i.e. the president), who is only slightly restrained by a Congress that itself does not represent the people.

I won't disagree with that at all.

And I would also say that we have been very fortunate over the decades to have had presidents and a congress who were fairly sane and at least tried to do what's right for the people.

Apparently that tradition has ended with this new administration.
I didn't say any of that either. However, I think your view of history is a bit biased. These views have been leveled against nearly every administration by those who oppose it, since the founding of this country. With the possible exception of George Washington, every single president has been accused of acting in a dictatorial fashion and every congress has been accused of being ineffective. Also, a good many presidents have had their sanity questioned by those who oppose them. There is nothing new here. In fact, your protests were addressed in the impeachment of Andrew Johnson. It is well established law that the President has the authority to run the administrative branch as he see fit, subject to the ENACTED CONSTITUTIONAL LEGISLATION of the Congress. The opinions of various members of the Congress, the Press and certain posters on various websites are relevant only to the extent that they effect an election or result in the enactment of legislation. If "We the People" do not think that it is a good thing for the State Department of these United States to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, "We the People" can encourage our elected representatives to enact actual legislation prohibiting it. Personally, given other more pressing issues, I think such legislation would be nothing more than an act of political grandstanding.

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Furrowed Brow »

2ndRateMind wrote: But then, Trump thrives on controversy.
Yes. Can't help but feel if there were big red button in the oval house with a sign...

[center]
[mrow]Do NOT PRESS!! or something really noisy and terrible will happen
[/center]
...we would soon found out what the button does.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #9

Post by Bust Nak »

Divine Insight wrote: ...an immature mentally ill mad man.
Moderator Comment

Such inflammatory descriptions are off limit, even to people who are not members to this forum.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #10

Post by Kenisaw »

Because terrorists need more of a reason to do all the evil things they do?

They are already committed to the total and complete destruction of Israel. I think their minds were already made up before this nonsense hit the news.