Even after sufficient proof, would you change that much?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

jgh7

Even after sufficient proof, would you change that much?

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

People debate back and forth about whether Christianity can be believed or not. But let's hypothetically say that whatever your requirements for belief were were satisfied. Perhaps the Christian God came directly to you and proved beyond doubt that the one true religion is Christianity (yes you're that special that he came personally to you).

So now what? You have belief, but are you really any different? Perhaps you will go to church, read the bible, say you're sorry for your bad deeds, and try to do more good deeds.

But do you really change fundamentally as a person from simply having belief compared to not having belief? Do things suddenly become more beautiful, does your personality change, do you become more happier and enriched each day as you live with your newly found belief?

OnceConvinced
Savant

Re: Even after sufficient proof, would you change that much?

Post #11

Post by OnceConvinced »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Wouldn't you rather die than worship the God of the bible (if that choice were offered to you)?
I'll have a go at answering this one too.

It all depends on what this god of the bible will do to me. If he is going to make me suffer for all eternity if I don't, then I'll be asking which butt cheek he wants me to kiss first.

If however it turns out he's as really as wonderful as what Christians claim, then I would be happy to worship him. I'd just be going back to what I was doing as a Christian, which would be fine by me.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #12

Post by OnceConvinced »

Divine Insight wrote:
So yep, if the Bible is a true and correct description of this God's personality I would much rather die. :D
What if you weren't going to die but he was going to torture you for all eternity with flames as some Christians believe?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #13

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Kenisaw wrote:
It actually makes sense to me that an evil force (satan if you want to call it that) is more likely to be in charge than a supposed benevolent being, if a creator being actually exists.
Emphasis MINE

QUESTION: Who does the bible say is "in charge" of this world system?

• 2 CORINTHIANS 4:4
    Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don't believe. - New Living Translation

1 JOHN 5:19
    We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one. - NIV

LUKE 4:5, 6

And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. And the devil said unto him, All this apower will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it

RELATED POSTS
In what sense does Satan "rule the world"?
viewtopic.php?p=1068633#p1068633

Does Satan rule the planet EARTH?
viewtopic.php?p=1106671#p1106671
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:26 am, edited 6 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #14

Post by Kenisaw »

1213 wrote:
jgh7 wrote:But do you really change fundamentally as a person from simply having belief compared to not having belief? Do things suddenly become more beautiful, does your personality change, do you become more happier and enriched each day as you live with your newly found belief?
I think God and His words makes me better. If I wouldn’t know what the Bible teaches, and without God, I probably wouldn’t love as I now do. In my opinion He has shown perfect example of how to live well.
So you stone your children outside the city walls for lying?

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #15

Post by Kenisaw »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Kenisaw wrote:
It actually makes sense to me that an evil force (satan if you want to call it that) is more likely to be in charge than a supposed benevolent being, if a creator being actually exists.
Emphasis MINE

QUESTION: Who does the bible say is "in charge" of this world system?
  • 2 CORINTHIANS 4:4
    Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don't believe. - New Living Translation

1 JOHN 5:19
    We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one. - NIV

LUKE 4:6
    The Devil said to him: “I will give you all this authority and their glory, because it has been handed over to me, and I give it to whomever I wish. NWT
You assume I meant the world. I meant all of it JW. The whole kit and caboodle. Seems satan and god are synonyms, not antonyms...

Willum
Savant

Post #16

Post by Willum »

Are you kidding me?
If the Bible would be proven true, you know I would change.

I would investigate it as dutifully as every other source of truth and get every last drop out of it. I would change my behavior towards it and though nothing wonderful is coming to mind, start behaving accordingly.

As it is, I am a much better person than anything the Bible could produce with its simplistic advice.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

William
Savant

Post #17

Post by William »

[Replying to post 1 by jgh7]
People debate back and forth about whether Christianity can be believed or not. But let's hypothetically say that whatever your requirements for belief were were satisfied. Perhaps the Christian God came directly to you and proved beyond doubt that the one true religion is Christianity (yes you're that special that he came personally to you).
I am stuck on trying to imagine what a being would use as evidence in order that I could then accept the religion of Christianity as the 'one true religion'.
The same applies to all organised religions.

I would say that this is because I don't have any requirements for such things, most likely because I couldn't think of anything which would convince me, and nothing from organised religions has had that affect on me. Even when I did become a christian, I immediately started to question different aspects of Christendom and this eventually lead me to discarding most of it as more political/cultural than religious.

I am a theist, and have a theology, but don't belong to any organised religion.

William
Savant

Post #18

Post by William »

[Replying to post 11 by OnceConvinced]
It all depends on what this god of the bible will do to me. If he is going to make me suffer for all eternity if I don't, then I'll be asking which butt cheek he wants me to kiss first.
Gezz that's brave of you! I wouldn't dare ask anything and just go for the center and hope for the best.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by Justin108 »

William wrote:
I am stuck on trying to imagine what a being would use as evidence in order that I could then accept the religion of Christianity as the 'one true religion'.
The same applies to all organised religions.

I would say that this is because I don't have any requirements for such things, most likely because I couldn't think of anything which would convince me
Wait so vague occurrences like serendipity is enough to convince you that the Earth Entity is real, but Yahweh himself coming down from heaven and saying "I am God!" would not convince you? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. That's like doubting the existence of George Clooney after having a conversation with him, but believing in Santa because "how else do you explain that magical feeling you get on Christmas Eve?"

William
Savant

Post #20

Post by William »

[Replying to post 19 by Justin108]

Wait so vague occurrences like serendipity is enough to convince you that the Earth Entity is real, but Yahweh himself coming down from heaven and saying "I am God!" would not convince you? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. That's like doubting the existence of George Clooney after having a conversation with him, but believing in Santa because "how else do you explain that magical feeling you get on Christmas Eve?"
My answer was related on the OP question. Your observation here is dubious and unwarranted and it specifically has nothing to do with either the OP Q. or my answer to that.

My own theology is not under question in this thread.