What are some barriers that keep you from being a Christian?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

ejh210

What are some barriers that keep you from being a Christian?

Post #1

Post by ejh210 »

What are some of the biggest things that make you not want to be a Christain? What barriers keep you from believing and living out the faith?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #11

Post by Divine Insight »

ejh210 wrote: [Replying to Divine Insight]

Thank you for sharing your ideas and imputing at least somewhat; you have been very gracious and I appreciate your time! I'll be praying for you and that God reveals himself to you in a way he hasn't before. Have a nice day! :D
No need for you to tell God what to do. He's a big boy. I'm sure he can remember to keep the promises he made without you having to remind him. In fact, he'd be in pretty sad shape if he needed you to remind him of his own promises.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Re: What are some barriers that keep you from being a Christ

Post #12

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

ejh210 wrote: What are some of the biggest things that make you not want to be a Christain? What barriers keep you from believing and living out the faith?

The biggest I would say are logic and the Bible itself.
ejh210 wrote: Can you expand on why you say the Bible is "obviously" false?
Here is just one example. God is said to have three main qualities. He is omnipotent; He is omniscient; and He is omnipresent.

The Bible also says this:

Genesis 6:
[5] And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
[6] And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
[7] And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

According to the Bible God FAILED to achieve the result He initially intended to achieve. Failed so badly that he was forced to wipe it all out and start over again. How does an omnipotent omniscient Being manage to FAIL AT ANYTHING? This is only one example of many self contradictory tenets of the Bible which not only defy logic, but reveal the Bible for what it is. A book written by ancient superstitious iron age sheep herders.
Last edited by Tired of the Nonsense on Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #13

Post by Divine Insight »

[Replying to post 12 by Tired of the Nonsense]

I would like to expand on the observations made in the previous post.

Not only was this God apparently surprised at this terrible outcome, but he also allowed it to get this far out of control instead of nipping it in the bud and employing a far more intelligent solution.

I mean, there's no way that anyone could argue that it's intelligent to let things get so completely out of control that you need to destroy the entire project and start over.

Not only this, but starting over didn't solve anything according to these Biblical fables. Things only kept getting worse again. So the Great Flood was a totally futile solution. It's solved NOTHING.

In Christianity, this God supposedly sends his only begotten Son to die to pay for the sins of man. But this could only be seen as an extremely belated last resort of pure desperation on the part of this God.

Not only this, but then Christian theologians and apologists try to make like this was the plan all along, and that nothing else could solve the problem. However that apology itself is clearly false. If this God is so omniscient and wise and knew that having humans nail Jesus to a pole was the only possible way to offer them redemption, then he should have offered Adam and Eve to nail Jesus to a pole in the Garden of Eve. Then he could have forgiven them of their sins right in the beginning.

This religion is clearly nothing more than some seriously bad superstitious fables and rumors.

There's just absolutely no way that it can be made to make any rational intelligent sense.

Preaching this religion today is like beating a spot on the ground where a horse had died some 2000 years ago thinking that the ashes from this long dead horse might still get up and pull the cart.

Seriously, that's how ridiculous this religion is.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

showme
Sage

Post #14

Post by showme »

Thank you for sharing your ideas and imputing at least somewhat; you have been very gracious and I appreciate your time! I'll be praying for you and that God reveals himself to you in a way he hasn't before. Have a nice day! :D
Houston, there is a problem. God does not listen to the prayers of sinners (John 9:31). As "Christians" in general, refer to themselves as sinners, I am thinking this and other prayers of yours will go unattended.

New American Standard Bible John 9:31
"We know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is God-fearing and does His will, He hears him.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #15

Post by OnceConvinced »

ejh210 wrote: What are some of the biggest things that make you not want to be a Christain?
I've never "not wanted" to be a Christian.

The biggest reason I am not one is because I'm just not able to believe it anymore. Otherwise I would be one.

If it could be shown to be that the god of the bible was real and really was as wonderful as Christians say, then I would welcome him back with open arms. I'd love to be a Christian again.

If however it turned out that this god was a monster, like the bible seems to illustrated, well then I'd be in a real quandary. I guess the thing would be what would this god to do me if I didn't conform to his wishes?
ejh210 wrote: What barriers keep you from believing and living out the faith?
There is another thread at the moment where I list some of the reasons I no longer believe. You can also see my complete list here:

94 reasons why I no longer believe

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #16

Post by OnceConvinced »

Divine Insight wrote:

No need for you to tell God what to do. He's a big boy. I'm sure he can remember to keep the promises he made without you having to remind him. In fact, he'd be in pretty sad shape if he needed you to remind him of his own promises.
Mmmm yes, it seems strange that God would need ejh210 to tell him what to do. ejh210, why do you think you need to tell God what he needs to do?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World