Can "God die"?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Can "God die"?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Preacher said, "God died for your sins".

For the purposes of this forum, the OP is assuming for the sake of argument that God exists.

For debate, can God die?

Even for three days?

Doesn't that statement deny God's characteristic immortality?

And don't such statements highlight the absurdity of believing that "Jesus is God"?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Revelations won
Sage

Post #51

Post by Revelations won »

Dear Willum,

1. With God all things are possible according to scripture.

2. Can God die? Yes, without question. We should remember that Jesus taught that he could do nothing of himself, but could only do the works of the Father. This statement by Christ certainly raises many questions regarding the Godhead.

3. Did he not state that the Father had life in himself and that he had power to lay down his life and take it again? Did not Jesus state that "even so hath the Son life in himself and that he also had power to lay down his life and take it again? Certainly those remarks would indicate a divine pattern which was followed by the Son.

4. One should remember that though Christ laid down his mortal body in death, that his spirit was not dead. My understanding is that the physical body and the spirit body constitute the soul. If he dad the power to bring about the resurrection of all men and women, then obviously He certainly had the power to bring about His own resurrection.

Willum
Savant

Post #52

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 51 by Revelations won]
1. With God all things are possible according to scripture.
With words, all things are possible, according to dictionary.
Colour me unimpressed.
2. Can God die? Yes, without question. We should remember that Jesus taught that he could do nothing of himself, but could only do the works of the Father. This statement by Christ certainly raises many questions regarding the Godhead.
Perhaps, but when the whole kit-n-kaboodle dies, that's it. No spirit surviving, or what-nots. The trinity gone because of Dad's indiscretion, boom, that's it. God died.

Unless you can show any proof to the contrary, you need to accept it.

[Replying to post 51 by Revelations won]
4. One should remember that though Christ laid down his mortal body in death, that his spirit was not dead. My understanding is that the physical body and the spirit body constitute the soul. If he dad the power to bring about the resurrection of all men and women, then obviously He certainly had the power to bring about His own resurrection.
I do agree that this has all been a tragic waste, all Christ's effort and time poured down the drain because the father couldn't follow his own laws, because his father couldn't think far enough ahead to not let the serpent screw it up in the first place. Jesus I, would otherwise suppose, if he hadn't broken as many commandments, put forth good efforts to save mankind, before he was slain.

RIP.

Revelations won
Sage

Post #53

Post by Revelations won »

“Can God die�

Elijah John said:

“Preacher said, "God died for your sins".

For the purposes of this forum, the OP is assuming for the sake of argument that God exists.

For debate, can God die?

Even for three days?

Doesn't that statement deny God's characteristic immortality?

And don't such statements highlight the absurdity of believing that "Jesus is God"?�

I then wrote:

“1. With God all things are possible according to scripture.

3. Did he not state that the Father had life in himself and that he had power to lay down his life and take it again? Did not Jesus state that "even so hath the Son life in himself and that he also had power to lay down his life and take it again? Certainly those remarks would indicate a divine pattern which was followed by the Son.

One should remember that though Christ laid down his mortal body in death, that his spirit was not dead. My understanding is that the physical body and the spirit body constitute the soul. If he dad the power to bring about the resurrection of all men and women, then obviously He certainly had the power to bring about His own resurrection.�

Willum then responded to my post:

“With words, all things are possible, according to dictionary.
Colour me unimpressed.�

“Perhaps, but when the whole kit-n-kaboodle dies, that's it. No spirit surviving, or what-nots. The trinity gone because of Dad's indiscretion, boom, that's it. God died.

Unless you can show any proof to the contrary, you need to accept it. “

My response: What do you mean by “Dad’s indiscretion?�

“I do agree that this has all been a tragic waste, all Christ's effort and time poured down the drain because the father couldn't follow his own laws, because his father couldn't think far enough ahead to not let the serpent screw it up in the first place. Jesus I, would otherwise suppose, if he hadn't broken as many commandments, put forth good efforts to save mankind, before he was slain.�

My response: What do you mean by “I do agree that this has all been a tragic waste, all Christ's effort and time poured down the drain because the father couldn't follow his own laws�? What laws did he not follow?

Also you state that “because his father couldn't think far enough ahead to not let the serpent screw it up in the first place.� My position is that God’s plans do not fail. The scripture is very clear that Christ was “foreordained to be our savior before the foundations of the world were laid.�

You said: “Jesus I, would otherwise suppose, if he hadn't broken as many commandments, put forth good efforts to save mankind, before he was slain.� I would ask, What commandments did Jesus break???