A question: Evolution and Mutation

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

A question: Evolution and Mutation

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

More of a question for my learning than for Debate.

The evolutionary model consists, primarily, of two factors: random mutation in the DNA of an organism; and its tendency to survive.

Yes? (I ask no one get pedantic for the sake of pedantry).

Next, the random mutation of DNAs does not always result in a functional organism: there is the problem of irreducible complexity--multiple cooperative mutations have to simultaneously align; like a mousetrap, where each part represents a mutation of DNA--board, spring, etc. More often than not, a cooperative system does not coincide. The result is abortive. It is an error to assume that the mutation involved in evolution simply churns out new species upon every occurrence.

Yes?

Wootah
Savant

Post #11

Post by Wootah »

Neatras wrote: [Replying to post 3 by liamconnor]

If you're going to vomit senseless nonsense about what you think evolutionary theory is, and I correct you, you don't get to then act like I'm somehow doing a bad job arguing for evolutionary theory. Your intellectual and comprehensive failures aren't my responsibility, y'know.
:warning: Moderator Warning

Try to remember to be civil. It's of course not so easy when our own beliefs are involved.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

TSGracchus
Scholar

Post #12

Post by TSGracchus »

Most of the time evolution works like this:
Imagine a colony of small rodents on a hillside. There is variation in the population of various traits. Some have thicker fur. Some have shorter limbs. Some have more body fat. None of them have all those traits because they would overheat. Now the climate changes. It gets colder. Within a generation or two all the rodents have thick fur, shorter limbs and more body fat.
The point is that evolution works on variations that are already there and concentrates those traits that promote survival into the next generations of individual organisms.

:study: