Demons

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

imhereforyou
Scholar

Demons

Post #1

Post by imhereforyou »

A lot of people (practicing Christians or not) claim demons exists. Many times, something bad happens, or they see someone do something bad and they claim DEMONS or DEMONIC!
The Vatican has said not all processions are demonic.
How many here have experienced demons or the demonic?
How do you know (or do you just believe)?
What happened?
What did you do?

What % of things said to be demons or demonic are, in your opinion?

Dimmesdale
Sage

Re: Demons

Post #2

Post by Dimmesdale »

imhereforyou wrote: A lot of people (practicing Christians or not) claim demons exists. Many times, something bad happens, or they see someone do something bad and they claim DEMONS or DEMONIC!
What happened?
What did you do?

Demons exist in the mind. Demons are the personifications of guilt feelings. That is my view.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #3

Post by AgnosticBoy »

imhereforyou wrote: A lot of people (practicing Christians or not) claim demons exists. Many times, something bad happens, or they see someone do something bad and they claim DEMONS or DEMONIC!
What happened?
What did you do?

I've run across plenty of Christian fundamentalists who claim that feelings are caused by or stem from God or the devil. The good feellings are from God and the bad ones from the devil. They say the Bible talks about a spirit of jealousy, etc. I completely disagree with this of course since we are capable of generating our own feelings through natural/biological means.

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 1 by imhereforyou]

Demons are to me a trait of schizophrenia. Angels on the other hand are a type of friendly impression of ghosts/"ghosts" or people you miss, who have passed away.

Again, Hell, the Devil and likewise, the Demons are for those who have "worshipped" them or deserve them, the immoral people.

One note, though, by "telepathic reality", it is possible for other people, by threats, primarily, to present themselves, mysteriously, as "demons" to you without being demons, of course. The antidote is simple: increased security, removal of threats by pepper spray and other, help from people... You get the idea.

8-)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by imhereforyou]

Not directly nor do I want to. I believe they exist, not least because the bible refers to them as powerful unseen intelligent beings. They are not in my opinion to be taken lightly.
imhereforyou wrote:
I have no idea, there's a lot of mental illness that can be mistaken for demonic forces and a lot of demonic forces that are mistaken for the voice of angels (or God or Jesus).

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Willum
Savant

Post #6

Post by Willum »

There are no such things as demons, ghosts, gods, fairies, and so on.
Demons did not exist at all before Jesus drove them into some pigs.
They are basically the religious equivalent of a fashion statement: Created for impact, but not really existing.

And if they don't exist, what does that say about the demi-god who can drive them into swine?
Yep, he don't exist either.

Just like the god who drives the sun-chariot across the sky. No sun-chariot, no god needed to drive it.

Demons are the stuff of insanity, fantasy and the distorted images of dreamed nightmares.

and that is all.

The proof is their infeasibility, and that they have not been seen or documented.

Perhaps the Lord of the Universe exists by faith alone, and is terrified to revel himself, because that would disrupt faith, but demons are under no such constraint, and should they exist, and manifest, they would easily be able to dissuade the entire world to any spiritual path they chose.

God and his angels are too busy hiding to do anything about it!

Unless anyone can show otherwise? :-k

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

imhereforyou wrote: What % of things said to be demons or demonic are, in your opinion?
I believe person who is able to think matters from different perspectives or point of views is a person who “hears� different “voices�. Those “voices� are like opinions or ideas that come to persons mind. There can be many kinds of ideas in persons mind. It is possible to think matters from many point of views and kind of debate in mind like this, “if I claim this, it means this, of that and I want that because of this…�. And the ideas (“voices�) that are bad or evil, can be understood as “demons�. Ideas may become obsessive and lead to bad actions. I think those may be wrongly diagnosed to be mental disorders although they are normal for intelligent person who can think matters from different point of views. The solution for bad ideas is to understand why they are wrong and then reject them. But in some cases, it may be that only way to get rid of bad ideas is reject them in the name of Jesus. But obviously, for atheistic people it can be difficult to resort to Jesus and that is why there are many drugs that don’t really seem to heal anyone.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by ttruscott »

Does schizophrenia cause hearing voices and see demons that are not real or does seeing demons and hearing their voices get one diagnosed as schizophrenic? Does it not come down to the opinion of the authority over the man?
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Willum
Savant

Post #9

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 7 by ttruscott]

Interesting:
This gives us an interesting parallel between God and anti-psychotics.

Which has more power over demons?
Drugs make demons go away, and their observers stop believing in them.
God creates a titanic struggle, where he can only drive them away temporarily.

I don't think it boils down to opinion though.

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Aetixintro »

ttruscott wrote: Does schizophrenia cause hearing voices and see demons that are not real or does seeing demons and hearing their voices get one diagnosed as schizophrenic? Does it not come down to the opinion of the authority over the man?
It's my impression that the brain of the schizophrenic generates the voices to oneself. The demons may also be these things that are generated by one's own brain.

Having the impression of telepathy proper is not the same thing, despite the "hearing voices" thing. Thus, having telepathic ability is not part of schizophrenia.

A Dutch scientist by University of Bergen has found, by the analysis from (f)MRI, that the "voices" of the schizophrenic originates from patient's own brain.

This can also be seen as an organism, a human being, under attack from oneself just as much as some people get an urge to kill themselves without much consideration to such an end, they just do it.
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!