A focus on proof

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

A focus on proof

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Clearly there are "moral stories" written in the Bible from which we can gain insight into various aspects of life. But isn't this true of all human literature? -Divine Insight
As usual DI's insight is divine. But it did bring up the counter-point - for the New Testament.

Aren't the majority of New Testament stores primarily concerned with proving Jesus was valid?
They all seem to be about him being tested and exhibiting power. But wouldn't a real prophet of son of any god's book be less concerned with validating magic trick and more concerned with saving people?

When we present a truth, we provide supporting verifiable evidence.
For example, for E = mc2 of F=ma, we can point to and say, look at the Sun, or throw a ball in the air.

For Jesus all the Bible does is prove Jesus. It doesn't seem to accomplish whatit set out to do.

Take for example other Holy books: Does the Old Testament seek to validate Moses, or any other prophet? No.
Does the Tibetan Book of the Dead or any other?

No, we only have one work of religion thats only purpose seems to be to justify the words of the person it is about.

In summary the Bible is the recordings of Jesus, and all they seem to do is expound the works of Jesus. In other words: Paul/Matthew/etc. said Jesus said Jesus was great.

What made this something other than a dismissable document?
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Savant

Re: A focus on proof

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

Willum wrote:
Clearly there are "moral stories" written in the Bible from which we can gain insight into various aspects of life. But isn't this true of all human literature? -Divine Insight
As usual DI's insight is divine. But it did bring up the counter-point - for the New Testament.

Aren't the majority of New Testament stores primarily concerned with proving Jesus was valid?
They all seem to be about him being tested and exhibiting power. But wouldn't a real prophet of son of any god's book be less concerned with validating magic trick and more concerned with saving people?
What do you mean with saving people?

It seems to me that the goal is to save one’s soul, not body. And for that, I believe the message in the Bible is the right thing.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Willum wrote:

But wouldn't a real prophet of son of any god's book be... concerned with saving people?
Emphasis MINE

The is no "old Testament" that stipulates a Prophet qualifies as such if his message primarily be to "save people" indeed not an insignificant number of them were commissioned to announce people's doom and destruction. Jeremiah, for example, essentially announced the eventual destruction of Jerusalem as did Nahum for Ninevah. Many of the so-called "minor prophets" were sent to pronounce God's displeasure and intention to destroy people's or individuals. Being a God of love there would always be the option is survival for individuals or even entire nations (as with Jonah and the Ninevites) but there is no escaping the fact that most of the Prophets were sent to discipline and occasionally announce a nation's partial or complete annihilation.

Biblically a Prophet qualifies as such if he or she communicated messages from God.

JW

Was Jesus a Prophet?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 002#804002

Did Ezekiel predict the destruction of Tyre?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 368#871368

When was ancient Jerusalem destroyed?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 698#825698
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Willum
Savant

Post #4

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 3 by JehovahsWitness]

Well, that is an excellent form of denial and misconstrue, but you really haven't made any point, or stated anything in the form of debate I can comment on.

Between this and 1213's comment, I think that I have made you realize that the NT, unlike other religious works was written to justify itself. It is a psychological trick, not a religious work.

Not a real one, anyway.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Jagella »

[Replying to post 1 by Willum]
In a bizarre way, Jesus "validation" and his magic tricks are inextricably linked to our being "saved." The logic is that if you can be gullible enough to believe wild stories on scant evidence, then the Bible god will save you. For those of us who think critically, we are doomed to hell.

So yes, I suppose a "real god" or son of such a god would be more concerned with what's best for us and less concerned with getting people to believe he has magical powers. People, on the other hand, might make up stories about magical people from the sky and then demand we believe those stories.