Are polygamy and pedophilia biblically wrong?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Are polygamy and pedophilia biblically wrong?

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

The reason that I bring this up is that christians and other religionists use the thin edge of the wedge argument against recognition of same sex marriage. Their argument usually goes something like this, "If we recognize same sex marriage then we will eventually have to allow polygamy and pedophilia." Saving the logical flaws of the thin edge of the wedge argument for another thread, there is an implication that christians believe that polygamy and pedophilia are worse sins than homosexuality.
As a humanist I agree with them on the point about pedophilia. Homosexual relations between consenting adults is a choice which cannot adversly affect anyone else. Pedophila is a crime. Sexual relationships should only be between consenting adults. Children are not capable of giving consent.
As a humanist I am more ambivalent about polygamy (and polyandry) but as a pragmatist, I don't believe that our society is ready for the legal quandary that multi marriages could pose.

What does the Bible say?
  • Polygamy is taught by example and is never explicitly forbidden. So, is Polygamy right or wrong from the biblical point of view? Can one be as absolute about the answer as bible believers are about homosexuality, which is explicitly condemned in the bible?
  • Pedophilia does not appear to be addressed directly in the bible. Now I know that sex with our own children is explicitly condemned in the bible. Sex with someone who is not your spouse is explicitly condemned in the bible. And sex with someone who is of the same sex as you are is explicitly condemned in the bible. But does the bible explicitly condemn marriage to a child? I think that we all agree that it should. But does it?
Is there any validity to the position of opposing the recognition of same-sex marriages based on one's opposition to pedophilia? Do christians believe that the crime of pedophilia is as bad, worse or not as bad as the sin of homosexuality? Is there any biblical basis for that belief?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #31

Post by McCulloch »

goat wrote:The sin of Sodom is the cruelty towards others. They were cruel and greedy, and for this, they were condemned. IMO, this would qualify as being cruel to others.
Was Lot condemned for offering his daughters to the crowd? So, yes, pedophilia is cruel. But there is no consistent Biblical condemnation of cruelty.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #32

Post by micatala »

goat brings up an interesting point. We have not been very precise as far as what counts as 'pedophilia' with respect to age.

Regardless of whether we call it pedophilia or ebophilia, it seems to me the larger issue is the morality of the act or situation. I would agree that when the situation is manipulative or coercive, this is inherently immoral, and this is much more likely to arise the younger one party is, especially when there is a large age differential. Existing relationships are also important, for example, the existing father daughter relationship.

In the U.S., age 18 is considered the legal age of consent. In past times, it was quite common in many areas or cultures to have girls get married much younger than 18. Often, perhaps nearly always, this of course would have been done regardless of her feelings. I don't think we can say there was informed consent in these cases. However, it is probably also fair to say that girls in general accepted these situations due to their cultural upbringing. From our 20th century perspective, we might say they were 'brain-washed' or at least 'deceived or deluded' in thinking their condition as acceptable.

Now, hypothetically speaking, if in a particular culture the custom is for girls to get married at 12 to 15 but they are allowed complete freedom to choose, would we or should we consider this inappropriate? Would it matter if 13 year olds often ended up marrying 40 year olds?

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by Goat »

micatala wrote:goat brings up an interesting point. We have not been very precise as far as what counts as 'pedophilia' with respect to age.

Regardless of whether we call it pedophilia or ebophilia, it seems to me the larger issue is the morality of the act or situation. I would agree that when the situation is manipulative or coercive, this is inherently immoral, and this is much more likely to arise the younger one party is, especially when there is a large age differential. Existing relationships are also important, for example, the existing father daughter relationship.

In the U.S., age 18 is considered the legal age of consent. In past times, it was quite common in many areas or cultures to have girls get married much younger than 18. Often, perhaps nearly always, this of course would have been done regardless of her feelings. I don't think we can say there was informed consent in these cases. However, it is probably also fair to say that girls in general accepted these situations due to their cultural upbringing. From our 20th century perspective, we might say they were 'brain-washed' or at least 'deceived or deluded' in thinking their condition as acceptable.

Now, hypothetically speaking, if in a particular culture the custom is for girls to get married at 12 to 15 but they are allowed complete freedom to choose, would we or should we consider this inappropriate? Would it matter if 13 year olds often ended up marrying 40 year olds?
The 'age of consent' actually changes from state to state. In many states, there also is an age 'gap' to consider, so that a 16 year old who has relations with a 15 year old won't be breaking the law per say, it won't matter. The age of consent laws tend to try to eliminate the abuse of older people to youths.

Often, those '13 year olds' that are getting 'married' in Utah are being forced into that situation. When it comes to the 'ebophile', the restrictions on that are fairly modern. From my perspective, while the laws might be a bit too restrictive, the reasoning behind those laws are sound. I think one major factor to look at for the younger teen is if the adult is in a position of authority over the teen, be it acting as a parent, a teacher, or what ever. The abuse of authority in that case must be a prime consideration.
As for any prepubecient activity, that is just plain wrong. It will be emotionally and physically damaging to the child.