Is the Bible confusing?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

amortalman
Site Supporter

Is the Bible confusing?

Post #1

Post by amortalman »

Dan Barker, atheist activist, and author asked the question: "Can you think of any book more confusing than the Bible?"

The topic for debate:

1) Is the Bible confusing to the average person?

2) If Biblical scholars disagree on many theological points how can we know what the truth is?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Is the Bible confusing?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

amortalman wrote:

The basic themes are very simple, a paradise lost to a paradise regained and a lot of the stories are simple enough for a small child to understand. That said, it's deeper truths are conveyed in a way that is not easy to grasp; It is definitely a book that one needs help to correctly.
amortalman wrote: 2) If Biblical scholars disagree on many theological points how can we know what the truth is?
Ask God (pray) and don't stop asking until you find the help you need. Be humble enough to accept help from the people who take a personal interst in helping you individually at great cost to themselves by approaching you and offering to help you understand the bible .

ACTS 8: 30, 31

Philip ran alongside and heard him reading aloud Isaiah the prophet, and he said: Do you actually know what you are reading? He said: Really, how could I ever do so unless someone guided me? So he urged Philip to get on and sit down with him.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

FURTHER READING

Can we know the truth about God?
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/maga ... t_index]=7

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

THE BIBLE , BIBLE UNDERSTANDING and ... HERMENEUTICS*
* bible interpretation
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:45 pm, edited 16 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

bjs
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by bjs »

amortalman wrote: 1) Is the Bible confusing to the average person?

The Bible is a lengthy and important document, written by dozens of writers over hundreds of years, that deals with the nature of God and the human condition. I would be shocked if it were not confusing at some points. However, I have found that average people who read the Bible with the goal of understanding are consistently able to understand the important points, even if there are a few issues that cause confusion.
amortalman wrote: 2) If Biblical scholars disagree on many theological points how can we know what the truth is?
The same way that we find the truth in any matter. We look at the primary source (in this case the Bible). We study what others have said, we consider to the best of our ability, and we seek the truth under the assumption that if we able to be honest with ourselves we will land somewhere close to our target. I have found that assumption to be accurate the overwhelming majority of the time.

Of course if we abandon or deride things the moment they become confusing then we will never achieve anything worthwhile in this life.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

amortalman wrote:
Based on the topics introduced and the argumentation that follows on this forum alone concerning Bible doctrine, it seems to be confusing to everyone who reads it.

Some of the key topics that never get resolved:

- The Trinity
- The divinity of Jesus
- The requirement for attaining heaven
- The nature/existence of Hell
- The details of Jesus' return

2) If Biblical scholars disagree on many theological points how can we know what the truth is?
The truth about what the Bible teaches? I don't see how. In-depth scholarship simply uncovers more details that can't be resolved. Finer details to argue about and create further division amongst those who try to understand it.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #5

Post by The Tanager »

I think bjs is right. We see the same things in mathematics, the sciences, reading NFL offenses, and any number of pursuits of knowledge. There may be more agreement among math scholars than anything else, but that is just the nature of pure mathematics. There is wide disagreement in various sciences, how to defend the Kansas City Chiefs, etc. Unfortunately, just about anyone who wants to can call themselves a 'scholar' of the Bible (or other religious texts and systems) and be accepted as such by some others.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 1 by amortalman]

1. I guess so
2. ya gotta meditate and pray about it.

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by amortalman »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

Ask God (pray) and don't stop asking until you find the help you need. Be humble enough to accept help from the people who take a personal interst in helping you individually at great cost to themselves by approaching you and offering to help you understand the bible .
The ugly truth is people have prayed and asked God and been sent in different directions. Some didn't get any answers at all.

I think many people are humble enough to seek help but the trouble is where do they go? A Jewish Synagog? A Church of God? Church of Christ? A Baptist Church? The Catholic Church? a Mormon Temple? A Kingdom Hall? Again, how can one know what the truth is?

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by amortalman »

Tcg wrote:
amortalman wrote:
Based on the topics introduced and the argumentation that follows on this forum alone concerning Bible doctrine, it seems to be confusing to everyone who reads it.

Some of the key topics that never get resolved:

- The Trinity
- The divinity of Jesus
- The requirement for attaining heaven
- The nature/existence of Hell
- The details of Jesus' return

The truth about what the Bible teaches? I don't see how. In-depth scholarship simply uncovers more details that can't be resolved. Finer details to argue about and create further division amongst those who try to understand it.
And as you know, Tcg, there are thousands of lesser points of disagreement. As I have stated elsewhere, the more one reads the Bible the more confusing it becomes.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

Post by JehovahsWitness »

amortalman wrote: A Kingdom Hall?

Yes, go to a kingdom hall and when someone offers to help you understand the bible humbly say "Yes". You may add "I want to find the truth will you help me?"

amortalman wrote: Again, how can one know what the truth is?

As you are being taught, use your powers of reason, apply logic and good sense and be patient. Like a puzzle it will take time and effort but truth fits with proven facts, it doesn't contradict itself and it has its its own ring to it, an autistic resonance that is uniquely appealing. the proud won't hear it...the lazy won't hear it..the "I wont click on any links or read anything because I already know it all" won't hear it.... but those Jesus called his "sheep" will hear it. It's kind of like being hungry, hard to describe but when you are ... you know!!

JW

FURTHER READING How Can I Find the True Religion?
https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/q ... n-is-true/

Video Testimony: I gave up on religion
https://tv.jw.org/#en/mediaitems/VODInt ... 40_1_VIDEO

Online bible study Lesdons
https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/online-lessons/
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by amortalman »

bjs wrote:
The Bible is a lengthy and important document, written by dozens of writers over hundreds of years, that deals with the nature of God and the human condition. I would be shocked if it were not confusing at some points. However, I have found that average people who read the Bible with the goal of understanding are consistently able to understand the important points, even if there are a few issues that cause confusion.
And what do you consider the important points? Many have entered the quest for understanding and come away with far different views on some important theological issues such as is Jesus the Messiah, the requirements for salvation, the existence of an eternal hell and its nature, will there be a rapture of the church and when, and who is the antichrist, among hundreds more.
The same way that we find the truth in any matter. We look at the primary source (in this case the Bible). We study what others have said, we consider to the best of our ability, and we seek the truth under the assumption that if we able to be honest with ourselves we will land somewhere close to our target. I have found that assumption to be accurate the overwhelming majority of the time.
People will surely land somewhere and everyone lands in his place believing he and his group of believers have the truth. Many apologists will claim that close enough is not good enough.
Of course if we abandon or deride things the moment they become confusing then we will never achieve anything worthwhile in this life.
With that philosophy, we should never abandon anything confusing no matter how ridiculous it is. But the confusion of understanding is only one bad apple in a whole bag of bad apples when it comes to the bible.