Missing element in the Lord's prayer.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Missing element in the Lord's prayer.

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

When Jesus' disciples asked him to teach them to pray, he taught them the "Our Father" otherwise known as the "Lord's Prayer".

Either verbatim or as a model for prayer, there seems to be a missing element. The Lord's Prayer does not include the phrase "in Jesus name we pray".

By contrast, the prayer does include praise for the name of the Father.

For debate,

-If concluding prayer with the phrase "in Jesus name we pray" is so important, why didn't Jesus include it in the Lord's Prayer"? Why did John add this and so many modern Christians include it when Jesus did not seem to have taught it? At least not in that model prayer found in Matthew and Luke.

-So many modern Christians include the addition of "in Jesus name we pray", why do these same Christians so often omit praise to the Father's name? Why don't they begin every prayer with "Father, hallowed be your name"? Isn't that what Jesus actually taught?
Last edited by Elijah John on Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Re: Missing element in the Lord's prayer.

Post #2

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

I think because of the book of John where Jesus supposedly preached all about himself.

John 15:16
and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.

John 14:13
And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

William
Savant

Post #3

Post by William »

It appears the clues re this prayer are in the preceding advise. When developing relationship with The Father, one is required to place aside the repetitive rhetoric which is so well established in structures of organised religions, and come from a place direct from the heart.

The irony is that this prayer has since become a well established repetitive rhetoric.

The 'missing element' is not the Jewish idea of GOD, for it is very debatable that Jesus was actually referring to such which was already enmeshed in well established doctrinal structures of organised religious - repetitive rhetoric et al.

Moreover, Jesus appears to be showing a way to GODs heart which could navigate around the trappings of organized religions by removing those things as having anything at all to do with developing and sustaining the individuals relationship with GOD.

I think when Jesus said 'no one comes to the Father but through the son" he was referring to individuals adopting his own understanding of personal relationship with GOD and through that - becoming 'sons of GOD' in their own understanding. A blasphemous concept in some organised religious opinions, and dangerous for that.

tam
Savant

Re: Missing element in the Lord's prayer.

Post #4

Post by tam »

Peace to you EJ,
Elijah John wrote: When Jesus' disciples asked him to teach them to pray, he taught them the "Our Father" otherwise known as the "Lord's Prayer".

Either verbatim or as a model for prayer, there seems to be a missing element. The Lord's Prayer does not include the phrase "in Jesus name we pray".

By contrast, the prayer does include praise for the name of the Father.

For debate,

-If concluding prayer with the phrase "in Jesus name we pray" is so important, why didn't Jesus include it in the Lord's Prayer"?
Perhaps because it is a teaching moment about praying and He was dealing with a specific issue: that God already knows what we need, so we do not need to keep on babbling like the pagans.

And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. This, then, is how you should pray:

(Mind you, if no one comes to the Father except through the Son, one might consider approaching in the name of the Son (with the Son's permission of course.))

Why did John add this and so many modern Christians include it when Jesus did not seem to have taught it? At least in that model prayer found in Matthew and Luke.
And why do you speak as if Christ taught something when referring to Matt, Mark, Luke... but that John taught something when referring to the gospel of "John"? You're making a distinction that others do not make, and so you might have at least part of your answer in that.

People include it because Christ taught that His people could ask things in His name, and they do not exclude what Christ taught as written in the gospel of "John".

I include it also to show respect (out of love) for both Christ and His Father; and their directions.
-So many modern Christians include the addition of "in Jesus name we pray", why do these same Christians so often omit praise to the Father's name?

I do not omit that so I cannot answer the question as to why others might do that, (perhaps because they just follow the tradition of their religion and it omits this; perhaps because they did not understand that Christ did indeed teach this?) I try not to listen in on others' prayers if I happen to be near a person who is praying in public. Christ taught that we are to pray in private (except to give thanks, which we can do in public or private, as Christ also did). Many people don't follow His direction on praying in private either.

“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

tam
Savant

Post #5

Post by tam »

Peace to you all,

I was speaking to a sister (the topic was this prayer and its content - not in the context of this thread, but on its own, even though some things applied). So I need to add a few comments, concerning especially the daily bread.

If we had not been given our daily bread, then we might need to ask for it. But once we have been given the daily bread, why would we keep asking for it? Instead we need only be thanking Jah for our daily bread that He has already given us. (And we of course need to eat the daily bread that He has given us in order to live.)

But that daily bread is not physical food for the physical body. We can know this because Jaheshua has told us not to worry about such things:

And do not be concerned about what you will eat or drink. Do not worry about it. For the nations of the world strive after all these things, and your Father knows that you need them. Luke 12:29, 30

The daily bread that we are thankful for is the manna from heaven that God has given us. That manna - the true manna - is Christ Jaheshua.

“Very truly I tell you, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is the bread that comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.�

“Sir,� they said, “always give us this bread.�

Then [Jesus] declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.�

At this the Jews there began to grumble about him because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.� They said, “Is this not [Jesus], the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How can he now say, ‘I came down from heaven’?�

“Stop grumbling among yourselves,� [Jesus] answered. “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day. It is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from him comes to me. No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father. Very truly I tell you, the one who believes has eternal life. I am the bread of life. Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, yet they died. But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which anyone may eat and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.�

Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?�

[Jesus] said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.� John 6:32-58

God has already given us our daily bread - the true manna from heaven. If we have received our daily bread, then we need only thank God! Of course, God does not make anyone eat and drink of the true bread from heaven that He has given us, but it seems kind of silly for people to keep praying for God to give them something that they are not going to eat. That being said, most may not realize what the daily bread is that they keep asking to be given.

(I have also prayed at times 'may your name be holy', but that too felt 'off'... since I know that God's name IS holy... His name does not need to be MADE holy; and I adjusted my prayers to praise instead, as my Lord has led me.)

Not everything written is written accurately; and some things that are written are specific to the people of that time, place, or circumstance. Some may no longer apply as time and circumstance change.

This is why we have been given, and why we are to listen to, the LIVING Word of God, the true manna from heaven: Christ Jaheshua. Walk by FAITH, and not by SIGHT.

Hope that helps, and may anyone who thirsts hear the Spirit and the Bride say to you, "Come! Take the free gift of the water of Life!"

Which water is holy spirit that the Life (Christ) gives! Hence, the water (holy spirit) of Life (Christ).

Peace again to you, and to your households,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Elijah John
Savant

Post #6

Post by Elijah John »

Why did only "John" catch it (whoever "John" was) and the others miss it? And remember, the Gospels were not written simultaneously.

Seems to me that modern Trinitarian Christians are far more followers of John and Paul, than they are of the real, historical Yahshua/Jesus.

Of the "Risen Christ" and not so much of the earthy, flesh and blood Jesus.

Scholars consider John the least reliable Gospel, and the Synoptics a far more accurate reflection of the real Jesus. But don't it beat all, that Gospel is the basis of most Catholic and Evangelical theory (theology) and practice. (prayer, liturgy).

Otherwise, they would be praising the name of the Father when they begin their prayers (as the Synoptic Jesus taught) and not so much the Son. If they actually cared what (the Synoptic) Jesus actually taught, that is. The Synopotic Jesus really seems to have taken a back seat to the Johannine and Pauline "Christ" as the Father fades into (relative) insignificance.

But that is the doing of "John" and Paul, and their modern disciples, not so much of Jesus himself.

Why are the Synoptics considered more accurate than the Gospel of John? Because they were written much closer to the events they speak of, and because of the principles of multiple attestation. Three out of four Gospel writers agree, and have Jesus speaking of similar things, (there is little to none of this "I came down from Heaven" talk in the Synoptics and grasping for glory as there is in John) and in similar ways (hardly any parables or pithy maxims in John, instead we have there long, rambling theologically tinged discourses) And they differ on narrative sequence as well.

"John" is the outlier.

So what do you think more likely, that Jesus forgot to mention and teach his Synoptic disciples to always "pray in Jesus name" or that he never really taught that? Could it be that the exclusionary John put that particular prayer imperative, and John 14.6 on Jesus lips?

Why wouldn't it have been inportant for the disciples spoken of in Matthew and Luke to have known about "praying in Jesus name" if that was so essential to effective prayer? And their respective audiences? Do you really think they were relying on John to come along many years later and give a more accurate and complete account? And fill in the gaps?

Were the prayers of Matthew's and Luke's immediate audiences unheard and unaswered because they failed to "pray in Jesus name" but instead began their prayers in praise of the Father's name, as Jesus taught?

Seems they never heard of "John 14.6" but instead went directly to the Father, as Jesus taught.

And again, why don't modern Christians praise the Father's name at the beginning of their prayers (as Jesus taught) nearly as often as they conclude "in Jesus name we pray", which the (Synoptic) Jesus never taught?
Last edited by Elijah John on Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-YHVH is LORD

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

[Replying to post 6 by Elijah John]

I have long suspected John of foul play. He clearly had a VERY different agenda than the synoptic gospels.

Number of times "Believe" appears in the Gospels in reference to believing in, on, or who Jesus is:
Matthew: 2
Mark: 2
Luke: 1
John: 79

Number of times God’s “Kingdom� is mentioned in the Gospels:
Matthew: 52
Mark: 17
Luke: 40
John: 3
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

ElCodeMonkey wrote:
Number of times "Believe" appears in the Gospels in reference to believing in, on, or who Jesus is:
Matthew: 2
Mark: 2
Luke: 1
John: 79

What are your sources for this list?

My own concordance (Comprehensive Concordance NWT pub 1973) lists the following:

Believe/believed

Matthew 7
Mark 4
Luke 8
John 55

JW

RELATED POSTS

Was the writer of John a liar?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 529#885529
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

JehovahsWitness wrote: What are your sources for this list?
I made that list a while ago and just copied it from my email, but I went through with a few different phrases like "have faith in me" or "believe in me" etc. I probably used NIV for it, but I wouldn't put it past me to have used Blue Letter Bible as well :-). Perhaps I should turn it into a list of actual verses so that it's better documented.
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #10

Post by Elijah John »

ElCodeMonkey wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: What are your sources for this list?
I made that list a while ago and just copied it from my email, but I went through with a few different phrases like "have faith in me" or "believe in me" etc. I probably used NIV for it, but I wouldn't put it past me to have used Blue Letter Bible as well :-). Perhaps I should turn it into a list of actual verses so that it's better documented.
I recall Jesus having said on one occasion "Believe in God, believe also in me". But I bet that overall, (especially in the GoJ) the word "believe" is far more often linked to Jesus than it is to "God" or to "the Father".

As Thomas Paine wrote, (and forgive me if I overuse this quote) "instead of God, a man is preached".

-YHVH is LORD