EVANGELICALISM

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

dio9
Under Probation

EVANGELICALISM

Post #1

Post by dio9 »

What is it that distinguishes evangelicalism as a unique member of the Christian body?
What is the difference between progressives and evangelicals? Is there something theological like Luther's thesis, or practice or behavior , political , issues or what ?
Help me understand what makes evangelicals a unique part of the Christian body?

dio9
Under Probation

Post #41

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 39 by bjs]

Well tell me what it is , I'd like to know. what distinguishes Evangelical Christianity from the rest of the body of Christ?

bjs
Prodigy

Post #42

Post by bjs »

[Replying to dio9]

See post 7.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #43

Post by JehovahsWitness »

dio9 wrote: [Replying to JehovahsWitness]

here again you are presenting a conquest theology.
Are you contesting the scriptures I presented in post # 38 above are not part of the bible canon?

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

dio9
Under Probation

Re: EVANGELICALISM

Post #44

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to bjs]

Yes but is there any moral imperative beyond just to believe the bible? Like hurray for us we believe the same thing. We are saved because we believe. Is there a compassionate imperative to reach out and touch the leper as Jesus did when he knelt at his feet. Are Evangelicals, Christian pharisees more concerned with the word than the deed?

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #45

Post by amortalman »

dio9 wrote: [Replying to amortalman]

The book of revelations strikes me as something that should be apocryphal. The war in heaven and all that comes from the book of Enoch , which was popular at that time. but didn't make it into the New testament canon. So the idea of an Armageddon ushering in the Kingdom of God ( which is a metaphor) is totally apocryphal. Rather than war peace love and understanding will usher it in. But evangs would probably accuse that as work of antichrist, because they believe the apocryphal book of revelations is the word of God. but Coming through war is not the glory of God .
The important question is what makes you think your version of these fantastic events is any more accurate than that of anyone else's? The book of Revelation is cocaine for the imagination. If Christendom thought God spilled a thimble of black ink on a piece of white paper there would be thousands of interpretations within a matter of days.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #46

Post by bjs »

[Replying to dio9]

Compassion, integrity, walking with God and loving your neighbor as yourself ought to be universal in Christianity, but they are not unique to Evangelical theology. There is a great deal of Christian theology and practice. The accuracy of the scripture is how Evangelicals distinguish themselves within the larger body of Christianity, and specifically distinguish themselves from progressive Christianity.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

marco
Savant

Post #47

Post by marco »

bjs wrote:

The accuracy of the scripture is how Evangelicals distinguish themselves within the larger body of Christianity, and specifically distinguish themselves from progressive Christianity.
The accuracy of Scripture has nothing to do with them, but I suppose what is meant is the accuracy with which Scripture is interpreted. I can imagine Roman Catholic theologians saying: "Unfortunately, we're not quite as accurate in our interpretations as Evangelicals."

I wonder if there is value in the claim: "We are right because we say so." If Christianity wanted to take itself seriously it would gather all its threads together and find a common purpose, eradicating any differences. I wonder why it doesn't.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #48

Post by dio9 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
dio9 wrote: [Replying to JehovahsWitness]

here again you are presenting a conquest theology.
Are you contesting the scriptures I presented in post # 38 above are not part of the bible canon?

JW
I'm challenging wrong thinking. Jesus , the original wwwas presenting a peaceful realization of the kingdom of God through love and understanding. Perhaps a better path than conquest would be education . I am challenging the conquest idea taking the kingdom by violence by violent men. Until the days of John the Baptist that was happening Jesus means to change that. The kingdom of God is here to be realized by men of non violence.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #49

Post by dio9 »

amortalman wrote:
dio9 wrote: [Replying to amortalman]

The book of revelations strikes me as something that should be apocryphal. The war in heaven and all that comes from the book of Enoch , which was popular at that time. but didn't make it into the New testament canon. So the idea of an Armageddon ushering in the Kingdom of God ( which is a metaphor) is totally apocryphal. Rather than war peace love and understanding will usher it in. But evangs would probably accuse that as work of antichrist, because they believe the apocryphal book of revelations is the word of God. but Coming through war is not the glory of God .
The important question is what makes you think your version of these fantastic events is any more accurate than that of anyone else's? The book of Revelation is cocaine for the imagination. If Christendom thought God spilled a thimble of black ink on a piece of white paper there would be thousands of interpretations within a matter of days.
Indeed everyone's understanding is unique this is just mine.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #50

Post by dio9 »

bjs wrote: [Replying to dio9]

Compassion, integrity, walking with God and loving your neighbor as yourself ought to be universal in Christianity, but they are not unique to Evangelical theology. There is a great deal of Christian theology and practice. The accuracy of the scripture is how Evangelicals distinguish themselves within the larger body of Christianity, and specifically distinguish themselves from progressive Christianity.
s you are saying the way we read scripture is what distinguishes Evangs from progressives.