The Zombie Invasion of Jerusalem

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

RedEye
Scholar

The Zombie Invasion of Jerusalem

Post #1

Post by RedEye »

The gospel of Matthew 27:51-53 tells us what happened right after Jesus Christ died:
  • “Then, behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth quaked, and the rocks were split, and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised; and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many.â€�
Let's think about how monumental an event this must have been. Dead and rotting corpses rose up through the rocks and dirt of their graves and descended on the city of Jerusalem. The news of such an event (unprecedented in the history of the world) must have spread throughout the Roman Empire like wildfire. It was possible to die, rot in the ground and then return to life! Next to alien contact I can't think of a more electrifying event which could occur.

So why is there no secular record of this? No contemporary historian knows anything about it. There is no Roman record of it. Did Pontius Pilate not think it worth mentioning in his correspondence with Rome? There is no word on what happened to these zombies either. Did they live for a while and die again later? How did they walk around with ruined bodies? Did anyone bother to examine them? It's almost like the story is complete fiction. But the Bible doesn't lie, does it?
Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.

Tcg
Savant

Re: The Zombie Invasion of Jerusalem

Post #81

Post by Tcg »

marco wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

NEW WORLD TRANSLATION

"And the tombs were opened, and many bodies of the holy ones who had fallen asleep were raised up 53 (and people coming out from among the tombs after his being raised up entered into the holy city), and they became visible to many people. �
Forgive my saying so but this is one of the silliest explanations. So much explanatory, extraneous stuff has been added that it's obviously a wrong translation. Whoever did this "translation" chose definition 1d which is a transitive meaning and the "translation" gives a passive, to accommodate the desired change.
The bolding above is mine.

The question of who the translators were for the NWT is a bit of a mystery it seems:

"The New World Translation was produced by the New World Bible Translation Committee, formed in 1947. This committee is said to have comprised unnamed members of multinational background.[21] The committee requested that the Watch Tower Society not publish the names of its members..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_World ... ranslators

Apparently we have some clues however:

"Former high-ranking Watch Tower staff have identified various members of the translation team. Former governing body member Raymond Franz listed Nathan H. Knorr, Fredrick W. Franz, Albert D. Schroeder, George D. Gangas, and Milton G. Henschel as members of the translation team, adding that only Frederick Franz had sufficient knowledge in biblical languages.[26][27] Referring to the identified members, evangelical minister Walter Ralston Martin said, "The New World Bible translation committee had no known translators with recognized degrees in Greek or Hebrew exegesis or translation... None of these men had any university education except Franz, who left school after two years, never completing even an undergraduate degree."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_World ... ranslators

In contrast, we know exactly who is responsible for translating the NIV:

"Behind the NIV Bible stands a world-class team of biblical scholars: the Committee on Bible Translation (CBT). CBT members bring decades of Bible translation experience to their work, along with an unshakeable commitment to God’s Word."

https://www.biblica.com/niv-bible/niv-b ... anslators/

Follow the link to find a list of the names of members of the CBT. All Ph.Ds.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #82

Post by JehovahsWitness »

marco wrote: It is ludicrous for us to pretend to discuss Greek syntax.

It might be "ludicrous" to pretend to discussed Greek syntax, it is not however ludicrous to actually *do* it.

Or are you suggesting discussing the meaning of a given text by referencing what is know of the original language has no place on this forum?
otseng wrote:
.... when differences of opinion arise regarding various translations, Hebrew and Greek sources will have a greater authority. [...] your point must then be proven by deferring to the original language in which it was written.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #83

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
It might be "ludicrous" to pretend to discussed syntax, it is not however ludicrous to actually do it.
Given that you have already admitted that you aren't a Greek scholar, you have admitted that you aren't qualified to discuss Greek syntax.

You are simply repeating findings from, as far as I have seen, unnamed sources.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #84

Tcg wrote:

You are simply repeating findings from, as far as I have seen, unnamed sources.
I do try to systematically identify all my sources (and if possible, link) to all my references. If I fail to do so it is an oversight on my part. If I'm asked for a source I will do my very best to provide it.

JW

otseng wrote:
.... when differences of opinion arise regarding various translations, Hebrew and Greek sources will have a greater authority. [...] your point must then be proven by deferring to the original language in which it was written.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Goose
Guru

Post #85

Post by Goose »

marco wrote:Your question requires no answer, phrased as it is.
Okay I will rephrase it. Who do you think your ridicule scores a hit with?
And on ridicule, our opinions differ.
Hold on a minute. It isn’t merely a matter of differing opinion. It is a fact that an argument by ridicule is a fallacy, implied or explicit. Therefore, ridicule is not justified because arguing by a fallacy is never justified.

--
The counter argument that Matthew 24:29 is in reference to future events as opposed to the past events of Matthew 27 goes so far as to differentiate the events in terms of past or future. But how is that a meaningful distinction?
Really? In the one case we are given a sequence of events,...
In both Matthew 24 and 27 we are given a sequence of events.
...with back-up surrounding details including a live centurion.
There are numerous details in Matthew 24 as well. And the events of Matthew 24:29 occurring “immediately after� the tribulations previously mentioned in particular relate to a person - Jesus (the Son of Man).
This means we are dealing with actual events.
Granted. But the symbolic argument is not that there is nothing historical reported in Matthew 27:51-53.
The mention of time when these things occurred, makes the point more strongly.
But Matthew 24:29 mentions a time of occurrence as well.
In the instance you gave Matthew is using the future tense for an event that has no specifically temporal status.
Matthew 24:29 certainly provides a very specific temporal status – “immediately after.� It’s no less specific than “at that moment.� Moreover, the future tense does not preclude a specific temporal point. What time is your alarm clock set to go off tomorrow morning?
It is vague , and admits a symbolic interpretation. The one we are dealing with is precise.
I don’t see this. Both Matthew 24 and 27 seem to carry roughly the same level of detail and aspect of temporal preciseness.

I still don’t see how this argument that one passage speaks of future events and the other of past events is a significant enough distinction to stop the argument.

It seems this counter argument must assume apocalyptic symbolism cannot be mingled with historical events. I don’t see that as necessarily the case. We see what is clearly apocalyptic symbolism in Peter’s preaching in Acts 2 and these events then seem to be interpreted by Peter as having occurred.
You are confusing issues and moving to a completely different argument.
How so? This is part of the symbolic argument. That Matthew 27:51-53 mingles the historical with the apocalyptic. The reference to the risen Jews being apocalyptic symbolism.
It's the difference between what was and what might happen; between recording events that were and making guesses about the future.
But here it seems you are projecting your view about apocalyptic genre onto Matthew. You are assuming Matthew, when recording the apocalyptic words of Jesus in chapter 24, understood those prophecies as “making guesses about the future.� Surely that was not how Matthew understood these events. Surely Matthew understood these events with the same certainty as anything he knew to be historical.

Further, if the preterist eschatology view holds then Matthew chapter 24 is referring to at least some events which have occurred.

Moreover, you seem to be assuming that apocalyptic symbolism can only refer to prophetic events of the future. That’s not necessarily the case at all. Surely if Matthew believed he was near the end times he could very easily be using apocalyptic references in a past tense to symbolism the significance of Jesus’ resurrection. That’s exactly what we see in Acts 2.
If Matthew placed some symbolic meaning on the dead rising, similarly it does not nullify the event - it simply interprets things that did happen.
Yes of course. But that would be assuming Matthew meant the risen saints to be understood as literal history.
Things atheists say:

"Is it the case [that torturing and killing babies for fun is immoral]? Prove it." - Bust Nak

"For the record...I think the Gospels are intentional fiction and Jesus wasn't a real guy." – Difflugia

"Julius Caesar and Jesus both didn't exist." - brunumb

"...most atheists have no arguments or evidence to disprove God." – unknown soldier (a.k.a. the banned member Jagella)

Tcg
Savant

Post #86

Post by Tcg »

showme wrote:
It takes two witnesses of an event to "establish" "every matter" (Matthew 18:16) & (Dt 19:15). Matthew 27:52 had only one witness statement, and therefore has not established such an event ever happened.
This is an interesting approach to determining which biblical events have been established as having happened.

I'm afraid it wouldn't leave much of the Old Testament, if any, and a good chunk of the New Testament would be gone too.

marco
Savant

Post #87

Post by marco »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

It might be "ludicrous" to pretend to discussed Greek syntax, it is not however ludicrous to actually *do* it.

Or are you suggesting discussing the meaning of a given text by referencing what is know of the original language has no place on this forum?

And you are going to inform me of the nuances of ancient Greek? I have no problem discussing grammar : verbs have many meanings, and it is the translator's job to pick the one that applies in context. To identify the subject of the verb in the Greek passage it is pointed out that "bodies" is neuter and so "bodies" did not shuffle to Jerusalem. The newly organised saints did, and this means the masculine pronoun is acceptable. I think this is crystal clear. Given the setting of tombs one can either believe the writer is talking about risen bodies walking or one can invent some passers-by to avoid embarrassment.

I assume there's a reason for quoting this irrelevant reminder; you've said you don't know ancient Greek so with whom am I discussing the original "Greek and Hebrew sources"? You have given an interpretation from the Greek; I have given another interpretation which makes more sense, from the Greek. I am lost as to the point you are trying to make.

marco
Savant

Post #88

Post by marco »

Goose wrote:
Hold on a minute. It isn’t merely a matter of differing opinion. It is a fact that an argument by ridicule is a fallacy, implied or explicit. Therefore, ridicule is not justified because arguing by a fallacy is never justified.

I think you've simply misunderstood. We are not presenting laughter as proof in the course of an argument; we are laughing primarily at the absurdity of a tale. The laughter is justified. If the believer still wants to discuss the tale, then the clever argumenta follow with a straight face. For example, if it is claimed Muhammad was at first refused a ride to heaven by the winged horse, we can laugh instead of getting involved. This has nothing to do with logical fallacy - it is an indication of how silly the original story, not the argument, is. But yes, we can then go on and argue about literal and figurative, as we are ponderously doing here.

Goose wrote:
Moreover, you seem to be assuming that apocalyptic symbolism can only refer to prophetic events of the future. That’s not necessarily the case at all. Surely if Matthew believed he was near the end times he could very easily be using apocalyptic references in a past tense to symbolism the significance of Jesus’ resurrection. That’s exactly what we see in Acts 2.

I'm assuming no such thing. It is possible to use some character in history to symbolise courage or whatever. I don't have a narrow view of symbolism, but I think a starting point is to recognise it. You brought up an entirely different passage with clear symbolic content and you want to illustrate that if Matthew could use symbolism there, then the dead saints could be symbolic. I have painstakingly gone through both passages to examine them for literal history and for symbolism. Nothing you have said gives the slightest indication of how Matthew is being symbolic about the risen dead.

As I said, the only way to extract "symbolism" is first to accept Matthew is recording actual events, THEN give a meaning to those events as foreshadowing or complementing Christ's demise and resurrection. That doesn't help your position.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #89

marco wrote: I am lost as to the point you are trying to make.

I have made my points. They are in post #70 and post #71
marco wrote: You have given an interpretation from the Greek; I have given another interpretation ....

I have no problem with that, as far as it goes. If you would like to critique any of the specific grammatical references upon which I base my own interpretation, or if you believe I have misapplied any grammatical point (in Greek or in English), or if you feel any of the translations I have refered to have failed to respect the rule of greek grammar or or acceptable syntax, feel free to actually mention the word(s) or said rule of grammer that has not been respected.

Otherwise, have a nice day.

JW

marco
Savant

Post #90

Post by marco »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
If you would like to critique any of the specific grammatical references upon which I base my own interpretation, or if you believe I have misapplied any grammatical point (in Greek or in English), or if you feel any of the translations I have refered to have failed to respect the rule of greek grammar or or acceptable syntax, feel free to actually mention the word(s) or said rule of grammer that has not been respected.

Perhaps you didn't understand what I said in reply to the two posts you mention. You are directing me into lines that are not disputed, namely correct translation of Greek or points of Greek grammar. The problem is one of choosing an interpretation, one that does not involve conjuring up extraneous figures like the spectators. As I have said several times, this is done ONLY because it is WRONGLY thought that the subject of the verb should be neuter, to agree with "bodies" OR the subject must be other people. This is the principal translational flaw. I have answered this and each time you make no reply. I don't see it as a difficult concept.

As far as I am concerned, my line of argument is the safer one and the correct one. It does not involve bringing other characters into a simple narrative. That cannot be justified - certainly not on grammatical grounds.