The Kingdom of God is meant to be of this world.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

dio9
Under Probation

Post #1

Post by dio9 »

The crisis in Christianity is ; Christians don't believe the Kingdom of God is meant to be of this world.
Agree or disagree.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Re: The Kingdom of God is meant to be of this world.

Post #11

Post by PinSeeker »

JehovahsWitness wrote:So do you think when Jesus said "My kingdom is not of this world" to basically mean "My kingdom is of this world"?
I'll break in and answer this, JW, if you will allow.

'Of this world' and 'in this world' are two different things and are not mutually exclusive. In other words, Jesus's Kingdom is both not of this world... and in this world -- but not in its fullness as yet... at the same time.

In addition to "(m)y Kingdom is not of this world," Jesus also said (earlier in His ministry on earth), "the kingdom of heaven is at hand" (on multiple occasions). Both statements are true. Agree or disagree?

William
Savant

Post #12

Post by William »

[Replying to post 11 by PinSeeker]

"The Crisis of Christianity" as per the OPBlurb is what the focus is on. The idea that Christians are 'waiting' for Jesus to return and at the same time are doing NOTHING in order to be 'caught in the act' when Jesus returns.

Some Christians even believe that Jesus "Returns" in them, through their own actions in relation to DOING (in the process of helping build the KoG NOW, present day).

Other Christians believe that they are not to involve themselves in 'The World' and thus exempt themselves from the responsibility of DOING in the NOW in relation to the building the KoG over the entire face of the planet.

Their beliefs are that Jesus will return and build it for them and then they will move and take possession of it as part of their reward for doing NOTHING.

Q: Which of the 2 types of Christian are more likely to be given the reward? Those involved NOW in the building of the KoG, or those who do NOTHING?

I guess that will be up to Jesus to decide on the day, yes?

Meantime, the world is in dire need...of SOMETHING, because NOTHING just will not do. And whether they believe it or not, Christians are part of this world and are thus also in dire need.

Tcg
Savant

Post #13

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 1 by dio9]

No one has yet provided any evidence that the Kingdom of God exists.

Arguing about where it is supposed to be is a bit like discussing which habitat Sasquatch prefers.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by PinSeeker »

William wrote:The idea that Christians are 'waiting' for Jesus to return and at the same time are doing NOTHING in order to be 'caught in the act' when Jesus returns.
What do you expect Christians to be doing, William? And this is surely not to say that Christian actually are doing nothing. But what do you think Christians should be doing?
William wrote:Some Christians even believe that Jesus "Returns" in them, through their own actions in relation to DOING (in the process of helping build the KoG NOW, present day).
Well, God is building His kingdom now, William. Has been since the birth and life (on earth) of Jesus. That's what I said above. And Christians' participation in that is mandatory, i.e., the Great Commission, given by Jesus before His ascension. And we see this all through the New Testament from Paul, Peter, James, etc. Faith without works is dead, as James puts it.
William wrote:Other Christians believe that they are not to involve themselves in 'The World' and thus exempt themselves from the responsibility of DOING in the NOW in relation to the building the KoG over the entire face of the planet.

Their beliefs are that Jesus will return and build it for them and then they will move and take possession of it as part of their reward for doing NOTHING.
Yeah, well if that's the case, they're terribly wrong.
William wrote:Q: Which of the 2 types of Christian are more likely to be given the reward? Those involved NOW in the building of the KoG, or those who do NOTHING?
Actually, of the two types you propagate, only one is valid. All these works that Christians do (or should be doing) are works of the Spirit and therefore evidence of their faith. For the person who has been actually been given new life and is therefore a Christian, a desire to help God build His kingdom here on earth and good works toward that end together are the natural result and outpouring of God's work via His Spirit in their lives.
William wrote:I guess that will be up to Jesus to decide on the day, yes?
No need for that; He was very clear about it.
William wrote:Meantime, the world is in dire need...of SOMETHING, because NOTHING just will not do.
The world needs Jesus. That's what it needs. Christians are taking that message to the world; they are doing their part. If they're not, then that calls into question their Christianity. But Christians can't heal the blind, or unstop the ears of the deaf, or cause the lame to leap like a deer, or make the mute tongue shout for joy. No human being can do that. Only God can do that, because of the work of Jesus, by the inward working of His Spirit in people.
William wrote:And whether they believe it or not, Christians are part of this world and are thus also in dire need.
Wholeheartedly agreed.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #15

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 11 by PinSeeker]

I dont understand what hou mean. I take it you think the kingdom is a feeling ... am I right?

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by PinSeeker »

JehovahsWitness wrote:I take it you think the kingdom is a feeling ... am I right?
Uh... no. :)

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #17

Post by PinSeeker »

Tcg wrote:No one has yet provided any evidence that the Kingdom of God exists.
Well... it's all around you, TCG. It's everywhere.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #18

Post by JehovahsWitness »

PinSeeker wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:I take it you think the kingdom is a feeling ... am I right?
Uh... no. :)
Oh I misunderstood, so what is the kingdom I your opinion?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #19

Post by Tcg »

PinSeeker wrote:
Tcg wrote:No one has yet provided any evidence that the Kingdom of God exists.
Well... it's all around you, TCG. It's everywhere.

It's Tcg, not TCG. There is plenty of evidence for this fact.

An additional claim is evidence of nothing, but an additional claim. Claims are easy to make, apparently evidence for this particular mythology is impossible to provide or else someone would have provided it.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #20

Post by PinSeeker »

JehovahsWitness wrote:Oh I misunderstood, so what is the kingdom I your opinion?
Hopefully, our understandings are at least pretty close. But I asked you first. :)