Is God good and merciful?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Is God good and merciful?

Post #1

Post by marco »

Often when we point out the destructive force that Yahweh is in the Old Testament we are told that we concentrate too much on his role as judge and punisher. We are reminded he is love and mercy in boundless quantities.

Is it right to ignore the dark side of Yahweh?

Does the bright side of Yahweh add up to a being who is infinitely merciful and loving?

dio9
Under Probation

Re: Is God good and merciful?

Post #2

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to marco]

I have only found God to be benevolent and nurturing..Can't say I've found God to be a destructive judge and punisher but thats just me. Pax vo biscum

marco
Savant

Post #3

Post by marco »

[Replying to post 1 by marco]

In 2 Samuel 24 we have an example of God being merciful. David is troubled by his sin and God generously gives him a three-fold choice of horrible punishments. David chooses plague, as one well might, and so thousands die of plague in the next three days. David reflects that thousands are dying because of what he has done, and deduces that God's mercy is unfathomable.

The mercy of God is shown in that he stops the bloodshed and he is appeased when David makes an altar and sacrifices umpteen beasts.

Exodus 20:6 gives us:
"And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments."

Is this sufficient for us to conclude that God's mercy is boundless?

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

marco wrote: Often when we point out the destructive force that Yahweh is in the Old Testament we are told that we concentrate too much on his role as judge and punisher. We are reminded he is love and mercy in boundless quantities.

Does the bright side of Yahweh add up to a being who is infinitely merciful and loving?

Those who will be the recipients of his judgment and punishment certainly have a different view than those who will sit at the feet of David and learn the secret chord that pleased the Lord (credits to Leonard Cohen).

His love and mercy are reserved for those who surrender to his terms. Those who do so have no reason to be concerned about Yahweh's dark side. All they see is sunshine everyday.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

marco
Savant

Post #5

Post by marco »

dio9 wrote: [Replying to marco]

I have only found God to be benevolent and nurturing. Can't say I've found God to be a destructive judge and punisher but that's just me. Pax vobiscum
Thanks for wishing me peace: Pax tecum is the singular form of "peace be with you", but if one wishes a lot of people peace, one says pax vobiscum. I warmly return your peace.

I am sure my sainted mother has found her God to be benevolent and nurturing too, though how she deduces this is not for me to know. I think people ascribe stuff to God, and thank him later for their attribution. A friend of mine sincerely believes that when he got an upgrade on a transatlantic flight it was a gift from God. Who knows?

I would have been more impressed had a new car been waiting for him in his driveway, with the inscription: "Donum ex Deo" or the Hebrew equivalent.
Go well.

marco
Savant

Post #6

Post by marco »

Tcg wrote:His love and mercy are reserved for those who surrender to his terms. Those who do so have no reason to be concerned about Yahweh's dark side. All they see is sunshine everyday.
Love is carrying it too far, Tcg. He REFRAINS from hurting folk who obey his rules. I'm not sure that holding your temper or showing restraint counts as infinite mercy.

His second cousin, Allah, is called merciful at the start of every chapter of God's authobiography. I think there is a cheeky element of sarcasm in this, since the merciful one wants to burn the flesh of non-believers again and again and again - and even more.

But the search is for benevolence, not brutality. As little Oliver Twist sang: "Where O where is Love?" Does it dwell in Noah's dove?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by ttruscott »

marco wrote: Often when we point out the destructive force that Yahweh is in the Old Testament we are told that we concentrate too much on his role as judge and punisher. We are reminded he is love and mercy in boundless quantities.

Why call HIS justice and the execution of HIS justice HIS "dark side" as if there was something wrong or evil about it?

HIS character as being perfectly just and willing to fulfill justice upon all who earn it with their crimes IS bright and loving to the victims and the bystanders. If you have ever cheered in your heart when you saw a justice done, this should be readily apparent.

Without HIS commitment to justice HE could not be bright (righteous and loving) as leaving them unpunished and free to keep on with their predators is neither loving nor righteous.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Savant

Post #8

Post by 1213 »

But is it really dark side, if God ends unrighteousness and evilness? I think it is good and loving thing not to allow unrighteous to ruin eternal life.

marco
Savant

Post #9

Post by marco »

ttruscott wrote:
Why call HIS justice and the execution of HIS justice HIS "dark side" as if there was something wrong or evil about it?

HIS character as being perfectly just and willing to fulfill justice upon all who earn it with their crimes IS bright and loving to the victims and the bystanders
Justice is NOT the love and mercy shown to the faithful bystanders; it is measured by the treatment of those who err. Massacring the children of people thought bad is not justice in any system known to man; if it is justice in heaven, we don't need heaven.

marco
Savant

Post #10

Post by marco »

1213 wrote:

But is it really dark side, if God ends unrighteousness and evilness? I think it is good and loving thing not to allow unrighteous to ruin eternal life.
I have no problem inventing excuses, 1213. I think most people would see God's treatment of Lot's wife as absurdly stern and his treatment of Moses, having let him wander around for FORTY years, was spiteful, in human terms. If we have to look on brutality as love, when it comes from heaven, we are struggling. God help us!