Does "Big Bang" include a groundless presuppositi

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

John Human
Scholar

Does "Big Bang" include a groundless presuppositi

Post #1

Post by John Human »

The calculations behind the Big Bang theory presuppose that the gravitational constant "G" had always remained the same.

Question for debate: Is that a groundless supposition that has no place in a theory worth the name?

Perhaps "G" oscillated or fluctuated wildly in the earliest decade or century or millennium, etc., producing swirling effects in a way that might better explain variations in the motion of distant galaxies (as perceived from Earth, of course).

Perhaps instead of a big bang, the origin was a "pop and swirl."
"Love is a force in the universe." -- Interstellar

"God don't let me lose my nerve" -- "Put Your Lights On"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCBS5EtszYI

"Who shall save the human race?"
-- "Wild Goose Chase" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L45toPpEv0

"A piece is gonna fall on you..."
-- "All You Zombies" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63O_cAclG3A[/i]

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Does "Big Bang" include a groundless presuppo

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

John Human wrote: Perhaps instead of a big bang, the origin was a "pop and swirl."
To the best of my knowledge there are no confirmed theories of precisely how the universe unfolded in the early stages. This particular area of science is still open to new ideas and hypotheses.

However, science doesn't work by just guessing what you think might have happened. You would need to offer up some precise mathematical models that match observation along with your physics proposals of how and why these things must have occurred.

If you can do that I'm quite sure the scientific community would take a look at what you have to offer and either find some promise in it, or point out to you why your hypotheses aren't making a lot of sense.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

John Human
Scholar

Post #3

Post by John Human »

Divine Insight wrote: However, science doesn't work by just guessing what you think might have happened.
Good point, and it underscores the fact that what passes for "science" is often doctrinally-motivated guesswork. For example, the "Big Bangers" made the idle guess that "G" has stayed constant through the history of the universe, and that passes for "science."

Imprecise Interrupt
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by Imprecise Interrupt »

John Human wrote:
Divine Insight wrote: However, science doesn't work by just guessing what you think might have happened.
Good point, and it underscores the fact that what passes for "science" is often doctrinally-motivated guesswork. For example, the "Big Bangers" made the idle guess that "G" has stayed constant through the history of the universe, and that passes for "science."
The constancy of G is not a doctrine. it is an assumption because there is no reason to think otherwise. Observation of distant Type 1a supernovas, that is, those that happened in the distant past, point to negligible detectable variation in G over time. Ref If it were a 'doctrine' as you claim, nobody who investigated it would get published.

In any case, G is simply a measure of how much mass produces how much gravitation. Changing the value would not result in things 'swirling around'. The observed expansion would simply be at a different rate. But changing G would not produce the expansion.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #5

Post by Divine Insight »

John Human wrote:

It's hardly an idle guess. You seem to have forgotten (or perhaps never fully understood) that when we look out into the universe we are also looking back in time. Therefore we can actually see how the universe was behaving billions of years ago.

So we have actually observed that G has remained constant for at least billions of years. So the current Big Bang theory is accurate to an extremely early point in time in the birth of our universe.

Even our current Big Bang theory does not claim to know precisely what happened at the very earliest moments of the formation of the universe.

So your complaints about Big Bang theory seem to have far more to do with your misunderstanding of what the theory actually covers rather than having anything to do with any actual problems with the theory itself.

May I ask why this is important to you?

What conclusions have you made based on the Big Bang theory that you would need to change if G was not constant during an extremely early phase of the universe?

Perhaps you should visit those assumptions that you are making and question whether they are warranted?

Apparently the "Big Bangers", as you call them, have not come to any conclusions that would be problematic even if G were permitted to be different at very early stages of the formation of our universe.

Obviously those difference could not affect anything that we have currently observed, otherwise we would have visually seen the discrepancy.

So I'm not sure why you have even bought this up.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

John Human
Scholar

Post #6

Post by John Human »

Divine Insight wrote:
John Human wrote:

It's hardly an idle guess. You seem to have forgotten (or perhaps never fully understood) that when we look out into the universe we are also looking back in time. Therefore we can actually see how the universe was behaving billions of years ago.

So we have actually observed that G has remained constant for at least billions of years. So the current Big Bang theory is accurate to an extremely early point in time in the birth of our universe.
No, if currently-accepted calculations are correct, we can "see back" about 9 billion years, with the age of the universe estimated at 13 billion years. 13 minus 9 equals 4 billion years' worth of idle presupposition. Combined with the apparent discovery a few years ago that "G" actually isn't completely constant, it seems unscientific to blithely assume that "G" remained constant during the first year, or first century, or the first billion years.
Obviously those difference could not affect anything that we have currently observed, otherwise we would have visually seen the discrepancy.
It was recently reported that a distant galaxy was observed to be moving TOWARD us. This is inconsistent with simplistic "Big Bang" theory. One way to explain this discrepancy is the supposition that early on "G" varied from region to region, leading eventually to a distant galaxy heading toward us.

Another way to explain it is with the paired supposions that the initial universe event did not create proto-matter of uniform density, and that periodic reversals in the value of "G" (pop and swirl) led to gravitational interactions that led eventually to the disorderly complexity that we now see, including a distant galaxy heading toward us.

alexxcJRO
Guru

Post #7

Post by alexxcJRO »

John Human wrote: we can "see back" about 9 billion years,
So no more then 9 billion.

Q: Can you support this with evidence please?

Please provide the evidence for your claim.8-)
John Human wrote: It was recently reported that a distant galaxy was observed to be moving TOWARD us.

Q: A galaxy other then Andromeda?

Please provide the evidence for your claim.8-)
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."
"God is a insignificant nobody. He is so unimportant that no one would even know he exists if evolution had not made possible for animals capable of abstract thought to exist and invent him"
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

alexxcJRO
Guru

Post #8

Post by alexxcJRO »

Imprecise Interrupt wrote: Observation of distant Type 1a supernovas, that is, those that happened in the distant past, point to negligible detectable variation in G over time. Ref If it were a 'doctrine' as you claim, nobody who investigated it would get published.
He is going to ignore your post( your points about distant Type 1a supernovas(shows G was the same(differences are negligible) in distant past) and the study(shows the openness and transparency of science, no doctrine or other nonsense)) as he did mine. 8-)

viewtopic.php?t=35501&start=20
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."
"God is a insignificant nobody. He is so unimportant that no one would even know he exists if evolution had not made possible for animals capable of abstract thought to exist and invent him"
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

Imprecise Interrupt
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by Imprecise Interrupt »

alexxcJRO wrote:
Imprecise Interrupt wrote: Observation of distant Type 1a supernovas, that is, those that happened in the distant past, point to negligible detectable variation in G over time. Ref If it were a 'doctrine' as you claim, nobody who investigated it would get published.
He is going to ignore your post( your points about distant Type 1a supernovas(shows G was the same(differences are negligible) in distant past) and the study(shows the openness and transparency of science, no doctrine or other nonsense)) as he did mine. 8-)

Whether he ignores it or not, other people will read it. And ignoring a post, if that should be the case, is itself a statement.

John Human
Scholar

Post #10

Post by John Human »

alexxcJRO wrote:

@Imprecise Interrupt, if you go back and read what I actually said, you may see (perhaps with the help of a request for clarification) that you have misinterpreted what I was referring to with the use of the word "doctrine."

@alexxcJRO, I often have limited time and limited internet access, and fail to follow up quickly on interesting discussions/debates, and some of them fall through the cracks, including old threads that I have started and still intend to pursue. (For example, the original intent in the "Debate with a Scientist" thread at viewtopic.php?t=35419, which I still intend to get back to -- and there I refer to the pseudo-scientific "doctrine" that Imprecise Interrupt confused with my discussion of G.)
alexxcJRO wrote: So no more then 9 billion.

Please provide the evidence for your claim.
"Gravitational Constant" at wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitati ... ite_ref-54
wikipedia citing Mould et al. (2014) wrote: Under the assumption that the physics of type Ia supernovae are universal, analysis of observations of 580 type Ia supernovae has shown that the gravitational constant has varied by less than one part in ten billion per year over the last nine billion years according to Mould et al. (2014). https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals ... B64C37243B
alexxcJRO wrote:Q: A galaxy other then Andromeda?

Please provide the evidence for your claim.
Per "Come a Little Closer" at https://www.spacetelescope.org/images/potw1920a/: "Messier 90 is remarkable; it is one of the few galaxies seen to be travelling toward the Milky Way, not away from it."