What is the Biblical view of hell?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Post #1

Post by otseng »

SallyF wrote: The concept of Hell is one of the many unmarketable, embarrassingly unbelievable religious concepts that has been recently swept under the altar in the severely diluted quasi-belief system that passes for Christianity in certain circles.
Divine Insight wrote: In fact, I think this is why Christianity invented eternal punishment in hell. They started to realize that just plain dying wouldn't be compelling. So instead they invented the concept of "Everlasting Punishment" for those who refuse to comply.
Questions for debate:
What concepts do we have of hell that are not in the Bible?

William
Savant

Post #221

Post by William »

@220

marco: Perhaps God has no plans to torture - but those who wrote about him certainly thought he does.

William: Perhaps GOD has no plans to torture - but those who wrote about him certainly think it is a show they will be watching their GOD perform. in the hereafter.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #222

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 7 by otseng]

QUESTION Does anyone get out of HELL (sheol)?

♦ANSWER Yes, according to the bible... (see below).

REVELATION 20:13
And the sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and hell gave up their dead that were in them; and they were judged every one according to their works. - Douay-Rheims Bible

And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead , which were in them - King James Bible

The sea gave up its dead, and death and the grave gave up their dead. And all were judged according to their deeds. - New Living Translation

And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done. - English Standard Version
PSALMS 16:10
Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; nor wilt then give thy holy one to see corruption. - Douay-Rheims Bible

For you will not leave my soul in hell ; neither will you suffer your Holy One to see corruption.- American King James Version

You do not abandon my soul to the grave .or allow your holy one to decay. - GOD'S WORD® Translation

For you will not leave my soul in sheol.; neither will you allow your Holy One to see corruption. - King James 2000 Bible
PSALM 49:15

But God will ransom my soul from the power of Sheol, for he will receive me. - English Standard Version
Of the grave; or of hell [...] The grave shall not have power to retain me, but shall be forced to give me up into my Father’s hands; and hell shall have no power to seize upon me. - Matthew Poole's Commentary

JW

RELATED POSTS

What hope is there for our dead loved ones?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 451#851451

Why in the bible is death likened to sleep?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 329#846329
Go to other posts related to...

RESURRECTION, HELL and ... THE CONDITION OF THE DEAD
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

marco
Savant

Post #223

Post by marco »

onewithhim wrote:
I would say that the anger and despair is something that wicked people experience BEFORE they die. It is not something that occurs after they are dead.

"The living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all....There is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the Grave [Sheol], where you are going." (Ecclesiastes 9:5,10)

This is an expression universally attached to the dead. There are no pockets in a shroud; when you is dead, you is dead; live now while you can ..... Poets through the ages have vilified or glorified death and here we have the same expression, not some huge theology but a simple observation that corpses stop taking part in life.

We could take the parable of the rich man, tormented after death, to indicate another viewpoint. Jesus would hardly use a parable about the afterlife that was completely false. He had an insight into what happens.

We become adept at finding phrases to suit our views. When we have to take a commonplace observation and attach high theological significance to it, we should worry that we are moving into error.

But on the positive side, onewithhim, I am reminded by your certainty of my Catholic primary teacher whose certainty may even have excelled your own. Perhaps there is merit, as well as risk, in proudly asserting one's opinion as divine truth, as she did. Eventually, I suppose, God will get round to making corrections and no doubt her soul somewhere is sorry for her cruelty to little Marco.

marco
Savant

Post #224

Post by marco »

Imprecise Interrupt wrote:

Keep those moral requirements and you are a friend of Jesus even if you do not know it. That is what I see there.
And this is indeed a good common sense view. It would be unfortunate if a good Maori were denied heaven because he didn't have the plane fare to Jerusalem. All the same and as usual when one line seems indisputable, along comes another to dispute it.

John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. "

That "no one" is a pretty strong indicator. And the definite article: "I am THE way" rather than I am one of several possible routes appears to confound the earlier liberal theory that heaven is open to the unknowing good and just.

But maybe we expect too much of Jesus when we demand consistency throughout his biographers.

marco
Savant

Post #225

Post by marco »

William wrote:
Perhaps GOD has no plans to torture - but those who wrote about him certainly think it is a show they will be watching their GOD perform. in the hereafter.
Yes there is always an element of "Who's like us?" When I was a boy I was treated to a story of heaven having a huge wall, and one of the new residents asked why. "That's so the Catholics can think they are the only ones here." But one could substitute almost anything for Catholics.

Religious coinage seems to be golden certainty when the text is ambiguous at best. And when it is clear, as in the revelation of hell's sulphur pits, it can readily be made to mean something else. One must not overlook thr skill required in seeing a sword as a ploughshare or fire as a thirst quencher.

marco
Savant

Post #226

Post by marco »

PinSeeker wrote:
William wrote: So if I understand you correctly you are pointing out that Jesus defined 'hell' to the public but kept the Secrets of the Kingdom of Heaven for his more private audience.
Would you agree with my assessment of your argument?
You understand... incorrectly. <chuckle>
Moderator removed one-line, non-contributing post. Kindly refrain from making posts that contribute nothing to debate and/or simply express agreement / disagreement or make other frivolous remarks.

For complimenting or agreeing use the "Like" function or the MGP button. For anything else use PM.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #227

onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 197 by otseng]

"Breath of life" and "soul" are two different things.

BREATH OF LIFE: ru'ach; by far, the majority of references to "ru'ach" are related to god's spirit, his ACTIVE FORCE, his holy spirit.

SOUL: ne'phesh[; the Scriptures show "soul" to be a person, an animal, or the life that a person or animal has.

So, they are not the same thing, and it would benefit each of us to understand the difference.

Yes I think this point is a key point in understandjng what happens at death. From the Hebrew word for "wind" SPIRIT refers to an unseen driving force or active power. In the bible it often is used to refer to God's power, the force he uses to get things done. It is this power or force that animates all living breathing creatures.

SPIRIT and SOUL are not synonyms.
By blurring the lines between the two different words religionists have facilitated the idea that a part of humans survives death.
To illustrate: It's very much like confusing the difference between electricity and a computer, so that one can claim that when the computer breaks down and it cannot run its software, it "lives on" because electricity still exists.

FURTHER READING “Soul� and “Spirit�​—What Do These Terms Really Mean?
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... t-meaning/

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #228

[Replying to post 227 by JehovahsWitness]

WHAT HAPPENS TO "OUR" SPIRIT WHEN WE DIE?

When the human body "breaks down" eventually returning to dust, the person ceases to exist all thought*, feeling, sensation thus ceases. When this happens the power/their life force (spirit) is no longer needed and in figurative language, it "reurns to God" meaning he retains the same infinite amount of power which he can henceforth use to animate something/one else.

ECCLESIASTES 12:7
Our bodies will return to the dust of the earth, and the breath of life will go back to God, who gave it to us. - Good News Translation
King James Bible
Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

King James 2000 Bible
Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And the dust return into its earth, from whence it was, and the spirit return to God, who gave it.
PSALMS 146:4
King James Bible
His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

Douay-Rheims Bible
His spirit shall go forth, and he shall return into his earth: in that day all their thoughts shall perish.

* New American Standard Bible
His spirit departs, he returns to the earth; In that very day his thoughts perish

RELATED POSTS

What happens when we die?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 139#832139

onewithhim
Savant

Post #229

Post by onewithhim »

marco wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
Why? You use the word "figurative." That means that it isn't literal. So how can you see "hell" as a place of literal torture?

I said Jesus saw it as such, from all he says about it. I said that "eternal fire" was a figurative way of saying there was torture. I didn't say hell was figurative. Presumably to describe torture there requires the writer to use earthly terms. I can't see any other meaning than torture. Death doesn't fit.
onewithhim wrote:
When Jesus said that it would be better that someone like Judas had never been born, where is the reference to eternal torture? Isn't eternal DEATH worse than anything? A person is gone, can't think, can't do anything.

I explained the point clearly. The state of not being born is exactly what you describe as death. Jesus said it were BETTER not to be born, the suggestion being some threat or punishment. If as you say hell is eternal non-feeling, then this is no worse than the state of being unborn. You will have to revise your idea of hell.
onewithhim wrote:
And to say that God tortures people in a fire is to say that he likes to do that, because there is no reason in this world that a person should be tortured forever
with no hope of ever coming out of it. What is accomplished? God would be a sadistic monster. It is much more merciful to just put the person to sleep forever. Just like the person was before he was born.
I thought we were discussing the Bible's portrayal of hell, not yours. The description I gave from Revelation does not match your eternal silence in death. As for God punishing, if you read the OT you will find he does this very well, whether oen would call it sadistic or not. As a footnote it might be useful to point out that the Koran DOES say Allah burns people perpetually and their God is a derivative of Yahweh.

I think it is very generous of a religion to attempt to erase the notion of hell as a place of punishment but surely to do so runs counter to all that Christ said.
I'm sorry, but YOUR version of "hell" does not match what the Bible says. and if you've been following the discussion, there have been excellent points made about the meanings of words that have erroneously been translated as "hell," and also what the word "Hades" actually means. We discussed Luke 16 also. You insist that Jesus was describing a literal place when he told a story with the use of HYPERBOLE to emphasize the hypocrisy of the Pharisees. Sadly, you are not getting the point, and you accept the idea that God is someone who is just fine with the injustice of torturing someone forever with no hope for relief. That describes the men who started the whole spurious idea of hell-fire, just to keep people fearful enough to continue pouring their money into church coffers.

I have already negated Luke 16. Now tell me where else Jesus supposedly said that hell is a fiery place of never-ending pain and suffering.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #230

Post by onewithhim »

tam wrote: Peace to you both,

(following the exchange between OWH and marco)
[Replying to post 214 by onewithhim]

When Jesus said that it would be better that someone like Judas had never been born, where is the reference to eternal torture? Isn't eternal DEATH worse than anything?

There is no reference to eternal torture, you are correct. But in this scenario, death is not worse than anything. If it were, then why would Judas have killed himself? To him, something else must have been worse than death.
I don't understand your question. Judas felt that death was less problematic than something else? I don't get it. Judas killed himself undoubtedly because he could not live with what he'd done. Actually no one can say why he killed himself, but there is nothing there in that account to show that he wanted to escape the fires of "hell." If there was fire in "hell," you'd think he would want to stay alive as long as he could, because to die would mean, to a believer in hell-fire, that he would face the flames, wouldn't he?