Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Deception in the Debate About Christianity

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

If you think that you can win a debate using better logic or presenting more relevant evidence than your opponent does, then you're probably going to lose a lot of debates. If we understand victory in a debate as being more persuasive than your opponent, then you'll need to use more effective rhetoric than your opponent does, and effective rhetoric can very often be achieved through the use of deception.

Question for Debate: How can deception be used effectively in a debate about some issue in Christianity?

There's a multitude of ways to use deception in a debate, but a good place to start to use deception in a debate is to accuse your opponent of committing fallacies whether she is committing fallacies or not. You need not even bother to say what fallacy you accuse her of committing. If she merely asks a question, then charge her with arguing fallaciously taking care to avoid revealing that a question is not an argument and normally involves no mistakes in reasoning.

Now, if you want to charge her with a particular fallacy, a good one to charge her with is a strong-man fallacy. Whether she represents properly what you're saying or not, make sure to accuse her of misrepresenting your position. That way you can make her appear daft not being able to understand your argument, or make her look deceptive deliberately twisting your words.

And speaking of making your opponent look bad, do your best to make her look bad! Launch personal attacks on her rather than her arguments. Depending on how hostile your audience is to your opponent, you might employ name-calling calling her a "clown" or a "troll." If you are successful in going after her person, then your audience will see her as a person who doesn't know what she is talking about or as a deliberate deceiver and should not be believed.

Other deceptions useful in winning a debate include:
  • √ Never concede defeat even if you have good reason to.
    √ If the debate is going badly, then run off hoping nobody has noticed you gave up.
    √ Never answer questions that if answered sensibly and honestly will expose weaknesses in your position.
    √ Appeal to the majority if you have no good evidence.
    √ Appeal to one or more authorities that you know the audience likes.
    √ Attack your opponent's sources, statistics or evidence even if you know they have no relevant weaknesses.
    √ Appeal to pity charging that what your opponent is arguing is cruel or sad.

SallyF
Guru

Post #2

Post by SallyF »

In my experience, Christianity is filled with distortion and deception - and it always has been.

One of the greatest deceptions I find in debate is that of omission.
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 2 by SallyF]

I don't believe Jesus would have been a black man.

RELATED POSTS
What did Jesus really look like?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 94#p925494

Was Jesus a black man?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 31#p962431

Would Jesus have looked "European"?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 44#p962944

Was Jesus a short man?
viewtopic.php?p=963174#p963174

Did Jesus have long hair?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 56#p947656

Was Jesus virile?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 74#p927474

Could Jesus have been handsome?
viewtopic.php?p=976375#p976375

If we don't know what Jesus looked like why are there so many JWs illustrations of him in their literature?
viewtopic.php?p=1031312#p1031312

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

JESUS CHRIST, APPEARANCE, and ...JEHOVAH'S WITNESS ARTWORK
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:19 am, edited 10 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Jagella »

SallyF wrote:One of the greatest deceptions I find in debate is that of omission.
Some people call omission of important facts a "lie of omission." For example, if I told the police that your dog bit me but didn't bother to tell them that I kicked your dog first, then I'd be telling a lie of omission.

I think a good example of apologists lying by omission is their practice of lamenting how Christianity has been persecuted by communists. Apologists don't bother to tell people that many communists opposed Christianity due to its many centuries of abuse and corruption.

Avoice
Guru

Post #5

Post by Avoice »

Jagella

Well said. I find a lot of this on here. It's a bit pathetic when people have to do that to win. It so they think they win. But deep down they know that they have to cheat to win. That would feel worse than losing to the truth. Those who do that don't want the truth.
Great post!!

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Zzyzx »

JehovahsWitness wrote: I don't believe Jesus would have been a black man.
For what reason? Racial preference?

Was Jesus a brown man? Is that more acceptable?

Some seem convinced that Jesus was a European that happened to be born in Judea.

Maybe the 'spirit' that supposedly impregnated Mary was Caucasian?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Jagella »

Avoice wrote: Jagella

Well said. I find a lot of this on here. It's a bit pathetic when people have to do that to win. It so they think they win. But deep down they know that they have to cheat to win. That would feel worse than losing to the truth. Those who do that don't want the truth.
Great post!!
Thanks. It's important to understand that anybody and everybody uses deception, and in these debates atheists as well as Christians might deliberately "cheat" in order to deceive. Truth may not be the goal but making something appear to be true is often the goal. Lying can be an extremely useful skill if one does not get caught.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Zzyzx wrote: .
JehovahsWitness wrote: I don't believe Jesus would have been a black man.
For what reason?
Did you not read my post outlining the reasons?
viewtopic.php?p=962431#962431
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8