What is your strongest reason for believing in Christianity?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

bluegreenearth
Guru

What is your strongest reason for believing in Christianity?

Post #1

Post by bluegreenearth »

What is the single strongest reason that supports your belief in Christianity?

How could we determine if that reason is reliable or unreliable?

Note: Discovering you have an unreliable reason would NOT mean your belief is false; only that you require a more reliable reason to justify a high degree of confidence in the validity of the belief.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #2

Post by Eloi »

The strongest reason I have to believe in Christ (not christianity, cause there are two many forms of christianity) is his resurrection from the death.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: What is your strongest reason for believing in Christian

Post #3

Post by Zzyzx »

[Replying to post 1 by bluegreenearth]

BGE,

Welcome to the Forum

True Believers do NOT 'require a more reliable reason to justify a high degree of confidence in the validity of the belief.'

When desire to conform and to avoid 'afterlife' punishment outweigh reasoning, people will not only fail to verify what they are told, but will actively dismiss and ignore information that contradicts their beliefs.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Zzyzx »

Eloi wrote: The strongest reason I have to believe in Christ (not christianity, cause there are two many forms of christianity) is his resurrection from the death.
Eloi,

Welcome to the Forum

Did the storied 'resurrection' actually involve a long-dead body coming back to life?

What verifiable evidence indicates that actually occurred in the real world -- not just n the belief and/or imagination of gospel writers (whoever they may have been)?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to post 4 by Zzyzx]

I don't have any reason for not trusting what I read from the evangelists. Do you?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Zzyzx »

Eloi wrote: I don't have any reason for not trusting what I read from the evangelists. Do you?
I do not trust what is written by ANYONE if its truth and accuracy cannot be established by verifiable evidence, preferably from multiple, disconnected sources.

Do you believe what is written by ancient people without checking for truth and accuracy?

Do you choose to believe some ancient or more recent stories but not others (by such people as Mohammad and/or Joseph Smith)?

Do you know who wrote the gospels? Christian scholars and theologians are NOT in agreement that they were written by the famous people whose names they carry.
Non-Theist

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to post 6 by Zzyzx]

You choose to whom you believe or whom you trust ... I do the same. I got a lot of reasons to believe on Bible writers. Those reasons may not be strong enough for yourself, and that's Ok, cause you don't have to trust in the same persons I do.

The writers of the Bible wrote about their own experiences ... and I trust them.

And no, I don't trust in everybody ... for example, I don't know you, so I can not trust you on what you write ... no matter if you are alive or not.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Zzyzx »

Eloi wrote: You choose to whom you believe or whom you trust ... I do the same.
I choose based on verifiable evidence, not emotion.
Eloi wrote: I got a lot of reasons to believe on Bible writers. Those reasons may not be strong enough for yourself, and that's Ok, cause you don't have to trust in the same persons I do.
In debate one does not just put forth what they believe. There are even rules of debate here that require substantiation of claims.
Eloi wrote: The writers of the Bible wrote about their own experiences ... and I trust them.
Did the Bible writers experience what they wrote about? Were they actually present to observe events and conversations they describe?
Eloi wrote: And no, for example, I don't know you, so I can not trust you on what you write ... no matter if you are alive or not.
Do you know the Bible writers?

Do you trust what was written by Mohammad and/or Joseph Smith? If not, why believe them any less (or more) than Bible writers?
Non-Theist

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Eloi »

With all due respect, I think you are wanting to discuss a different issue from the original post: what are the criteria to follow to trust a document or a person. You are also assuming my criteria without knowing them. I think you should open another post regarding that matter. I prefer to limit myself here to what was raised here when this thread was opened.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Zzyzx »

Eloi wrote: With all due respect, I think you are wanting to discuss a different issue from the original post: what are the criteria to follow to trust a document or a person.
Perhaps you overlook posts #6 and #8
Zzyzx wrote:
I do not trust what is written by ANYONE if its truth and accuracy cannot be established by verifiable evidence, preferably from multiple, disconnected sources.
And
Zzyzx wrote:
I choose based on verifiable evidence, not emotion.
Do those state criteria for acceptance of statements?
Eloi wrote: You are also assuming my criteria without knowing them.
Correction: I ask questions rather than making assumptions. Unfortunately, many choose to avoid answering questions the answers to which might betray the weakness of their position.
Eloi wrote: I think you should open another post regarding that matter.
Advice noted
Eloi wrote: I prefer to limit myself here to what was raised here when this thread was opened.
Feel free to limit yourself however you wish.
Non-Theist