The Golden Rule's problems

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

The Golden Rule's problems

Post #1

Post by Willum »

The Golden Rule, has its first known origins with the Goddess Ma'at and a story about unlawful claiming of property.
It was either taken from there, or rediscovered by Thales of Greece in about 500 BCE.

It is recapped in the Bible in Matthew 7:12,
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you: Do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets
Or in the OT, Leviticus 19:18
You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.
It sounds great on the surface, but is it the ultimate slippery slope for morality?

The key to recognize the problem is that we all think we are good.
The serial killers of the worlds, the rapist, the you name its of villainy are aware of and can probably justify their actions with the Golden Rule.

Premise of the topic: The Golden Rule sets every single individual as a standard for morality, and appeals to vanity to delude us into its being correct.
It seems like a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

Bad people will do bad things, because their personal version of the rule, allows it. They would say to themselves, "If I were this given person [whom I am doing bad things to], I would expect this kind of treatment from me."

So the topic of debate is obvious, is the Golden Rule the metric for behavior that it is employed as?

Tcg
Savant

Post #41

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote:
It was already then:

… you shall love your neighbor as yourself… … The stranger who lives as a foreigner with you shall be to you as the native-born among you, and you shall love him as yourself;
Lev. 19:18,34

Sure, love your neighbor as yourself until you need some slaves:
  • 44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property.

Leviticus 25:44-45
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #42

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote:
It was already then:

… you shall love your neighbor as yourself… … The stranger who lives as a foreigner with you shall be to you as the native-born among you, and you shall love him as yourself;

Sure, love your neighbor as yourself until you decide to make them your slaves:
  • 44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property."

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #43

Post by OnceConvinced »

1213 wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote: I wonder why did God waited until Jesus came down before he commanded the golden rule anyway? Why wasn't it established back in Moses time?
It was already then:

Ok, fair enough. But if that was applied then why did God make rules that clearly do not follow the golden rule, like forcing rape victims to marry their attackers and that it's ok to own people and to beat slaves as long as they don't die within a couple of days?

Clearly the old testament does not show us a god who endorsed the golden rule. Many of his rulings show us that.

And I don't buy the justifications some people make about the whole rape thing.
No woman should ever have to be subjective to having to live with people who rape them. The whole thing is clearly immoral. There are better ways to help women then forcing them into loveless marriages with montsers where they are never able to be free of them. They are forced to live in that same nightmare that rapist put them through for the rest of their lives.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #44

Post by OnceConvinced »

[Replying to post 37 by JehovahsWitness]

I never claimed that the bible endorsed rape. It does however treat women like they are property and have to marry who men say they should marry.

Even with all your justifications the whole system is still clearly immoral and a loving caring god could have come up with a much better system that didn't involve women having to deal with their attackers for the rest of their life.

If God were to apply the golden rule, then how about devising a system where society supports women who do not have men supporting them? Surely that wouldn’t be difficult for a god to do even thousands of years ago. After all he is a “my way or the highway� type of God. You do what he says or you pay.

So why not implement systems where women are financially suppported? Like we do now?

And let’s not forget that women, even back then would have been capable of looking after themselves. They could have even worked together to support themselves. But no, the system back then would never allow that, would it? Women were expected to stay at home, look after the kids, provide sex and do the cooking and cleaning. That’s the system they were under, which could also have been changed if there was a loving caring god, giving guidelines and rules. It’s a system that could have changed if the golden rule was applied.

It just all reeks of primitive man to me. Men who saw women as their personal property to trade and do with as they wanted.

Was the girl forced to marry her aggressor?

No.
Where does the bible say that they could decline to marry their aggressor? And what woman in her right mind would marry him anyway, even under social pressure. It doesn't make sense at all and it's still highly immoral. A loving caring god would surely not incorporate such a horrendous system where women are pressured into marrying just to please everybody else.

The bible makes it quite clear that they can NEVER be devorced. They can never be free. That doesn’t sound like they have much choice in the matter. They are forced into it just as the rapist is. However for some reason it’s considered a punishment for the rapist but not for the victim.

I don't buy that even in those days women would prefer to be married to their rapists than be old maids. No matter how much of a struggle it might be.
unfortunately a rape victim had a lower chance of being viewed as a suitable wife
and so the girl risked having no means of support when her father died).
A clearly immoral system where women were forced into marriage if they wanted to survive.

The golden rule was not applied was is? ie If I were in a situation where I could not support myself, I would want to be helped. But in a way that does not throw me into a loveless situation where I have to relive the nightmares of my earlier suffering.

A god could easily have dictated rules so that women were not in a situation where they needed men to support them. But no, they were the property of men. They had few rights and had to do what they were told. So no wonder they were in that horrible position. They should never have been in it to begin with.

These days we know women can look after themselves without the need for fathers and husbands. Of course it would have been the same back then if they had been empowered to do so. But they weren’t.

In today's society, marriage is not important. A woman is quite capable of looking after herself and it's quite fine never to be married. Why would God have not made that quite clear to people thousands of years ago? “Hey people. You don’t actually have to be married. Just make sure that everyone is cared for no matter what.�

This is a god we're talking about. If he doesn't like something he orders things to change. Clearly this god didn't give two hoots about the golden rule.

All I see is a lot of justifications for a system that could have been way better if a god was in control, making the rules. There are no excuses for the horrors ancient men put on their womenfolk. There are no excuses for treating women like cattle.
If acceptable to her father that was always an option
Another example of how women were treated like property. It's all up to the father, not the daughter. She doesn't get any say.
also labelled the man a criminal of the worst kind
Where in the bible is this stated?

I find that claim hard to believe, when women were considered the property of men. From what I can see in the bible the thing with rape was "how dare you do that to my property? She belongs to ME!" Whicih is why adultery was such a huge deal. "Don't you dare mess with me wife! She's MY property!"

Otherwise who cared about the woman? They were the ones responsible for the fall of man in the Garden of Evil. They deserve to be under our thumb.

What I see these types of justifications being made for the bible is shows me even more that Christians have to compromise their own moral integrity to continue to believe.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #45

Post by OnceConvinced »

Tcg wrote:
1213 wrote:
It was already then:

Sure, love your neighbor as yourself until you decide to make them your slaves:
  • 44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property."

Tcg
Exactly. So the golden rule is mentioned in one verse, however the majority of the old testament shows us a god that did not endorse that golden rule nor even follow it himself.

The golden rule was certainly never applied when God told them to go to war to kill all the men and keep the virgins for yourself. The golden rule was never applied when God allowed them to take their conquered foes as slaves. The golden rule was also never applied when fellow Jews were taken in as indentured servants. They were still considerd property and had very little freedom. And you could screw them over too with many of the rules that were in place.

Bust Nak
Savant

Re: The Golden Rule's problems

Post #46

Post by Bust Nak »

1213 wrote: Sorry, I don’t think there is any scripture telling that righteous person orders rape.
Try Numbers 31:15-18; Or Deuteronomy 21:10-11
Only if the woman didn’t resist and didn't show that she doesn’t want it.
Well there you go, guilty as charged, the Bible assumes women to be adulterers by default.
From where did you look at that?
Wiki.
Anyway, when person commits it first time, the judgment is very light, in my opinion. But probably opinions don’t really matter in this.
It's certainly more of a punishment than having to support someone for life. Wealthy people don't fear fines.
… Of course not all and it doesn’t mean it is ok to be criminal...
And that's all there is to it, as to why it has no place in this conversation.
Because the result of a rape is probably pregnancy, and nowadays unwanted babies are usually murdered.
That's a better solution than the one Bible offers.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #47

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 43 by OnceConvinced]

IS IT WRONG FOR MEN TO TREAT WOMEN AS THEIR "PROPERTY"?

In the biblical context the notion of treating women as one's property is not a bad thing. It neither implies mistreatment nor imposes a disregard for their intrinc value as humans, it s simply an idiomatic expression that reflects that women, children (and slaves) were under the charge and protection of the family patriarch. Indeed the English word "husband" still in use by many 21st century modern women, basically refers to a "manager" ie he who has the responsibility to oversee the management of assets.
HUSBAND

2. British : the manager of another's property : STEWARD

3 : a frugal manager
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/husband
While the notion of a human being someone's property is distasteful to 21st century sensibilities, that is largely because we associate the notion with the oppressive and abusive slavery imposed on black Africans by 17th and 18th century colonialists. "Ownership" in the broad sense associated with family members in Hebrew society, was not synonymous with subjugation and loss of human rights. and it most certainly didn't imply "treating women like cattle" or animals (over and above the fact that cattle were valuable and and owner was careful not to damage them or allow them to be harmed)

Since wives in bible times were viewed as a man's property could their husbands "trade" /sell them at will?
  • No, this is taking the expression far to literally. The Mosaic law did allow for a man to divorce his wife, but this was stipulated to be only on the grounds of provable serious wrongdoing and then only after due process. He most certainly couldn't sell her to another man to recuperate the bride price, he could only after divorce sent her back to her father or to her kinsmen (From the book of Judges we see a woman could also leave her husband and go home to her father, but he (the father) would probably have to return the bride price which he no doubt would be reluctant to do without good reason)
WHEN DID THE FIRST MAN FALL IN LOVE WITH HIS WIFE OR CHERISH HIS DAUGHTER
  • It is extremely arrogant to imply that the ancients were incapable of loving their wives and daughters. While sadly human history testifies to the mistreatment of women in general, it is unrealistic to conclude that no man before thhe sexual liberation of the 20th century valued his wife or looked down at his new born baby girl as she grabbed his finger and resolved to do well by her (fathers usually have a soft spot for their girls and are fiercely protective of them). Even today when a man speaks of "his" wife or "his" children, he is staking his claim to a unique relationship with them which implies his responsibility to love and care for them. Love and affection are not 20th century inventions and there is ample biblical evidence that Jewish men were not only just as capable of loving their wives as intellectual equals and holding them in high regard as they are today but that the divine law which governed them was a reflection of that.

JW

RELATED POSTS
Is childbirth sexist?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 03#p801703

Did Jesus stipulate that all his followers should renounce ownership of all material possessions?/b]
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 20#p835720

Does God's mentioned in Eden of the mistreatement of women mean he approved or endorsed such treatement?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 43#p801843

Does the bible condemn adultery?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 49#p977049

Go to other posts related to...

SEX, SLAVERY and ...WOMEN
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Willum
Savant

Post #48

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 46 by JehovahsWitness]

Ugh!
A divine God who is omnipotent or knows the future, would write laws into a “perfect Bible,� that would promote future weal, not hopeful maybes.
It isn’t so unreasonable, mere human futurists and even science fiction writers have predicted future beneficence, it should have been easy with a divine mandate.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #49

Post by Zzyzx »

[Replying to post 46 by JehovahsWitness]

‘Ownership doesn’t mean ownership’ is quite a defense of male chauvinism / superiority / female subjugation in the Bible.

Does modern JW belief follow the Bible in considering females as second to (or inferior to) males?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Tcg
Savant

Post #50

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
In the biblical context the notion of treating women as one's property is not a bad thing.

It has been argued that in the MC context the notion of treating women as one's property is not a bad thing.

I suppose most anything can be justified if one is motivated to do so.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom