HITLER and TRUMP

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

HITLER and TRUMP

Post #1

Post by 2Dbunk »

"The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" by William Shirer reveals the history of Adoph Hitler’s efforts in a very, very negative way. But there are some (small amount?) who disagree. Likewise the Holocaust deniers claim that history was distorted by the victor’s claims of gross genocide. Most rational people that I know agree with the former – that Nazism is highly unethical!

I’m in the process of reading "Bonhoeffer" (published in 2011) and find that Eric Metaxas confirms much, if not all, of Shirer’s history. What's most disturbing is that many passages in the text show Hitler’s chaotic politics, mannerisms, and untruthfulness could be attributed to Donald Trump (just reverse their names).

Bonhoeffer was a theologian in Germany who was basically a fundamentalist (the established churches of the 1920s and 30s he found superficial when it came to celebrating the spirit of Jesus). Bonhoeffer quickly became disillusioned with Hitler’s manipulation of those main stream churches and the dictator's disdain for everything Christian while providing lip service to it so as to maintain his “religious� demeanor with the common folk (or he would not have survived in politics, duh).

I ask if anyone cares to debate the Donald’s intentions in making America great again in a (subtle?) but parallel way of Hitler’s efforts to make Germany great again? For that matter one might even throw in Trump’s parroting of Putin’s making Russia great again (Trump does seem to have an affinity for dictators – he even said he wouldn’t mind the opportunity to try that role).

One other question for debate: Why are evangelical Republicans and some Democrats lapping up his chaotic, untruthful soup? With all the indictments docketed the “swamp� seems to be getting deeper -- and thicker.

Tcg
Savant

Re: HITLER and TRUMP

Post #91

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 1 by 2Dbunk]

Trump is not smart enough to be compared to Hitler. I am very glad that this is the case.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #92

Post by Danmark »

Tcg wrote: [Replying to post 1 by 2Dbunk]

Trump is not smart enough to be compared to Hitler. I am very glad that this is the case.
Point well taken, however is much like Hitler in other ways. This would not be so bad except it is the very reason 28 to 30% of Americans stand by him no matter what he does. I am sad to see so many of my fellow Americans share this creep's beliefs.

Tcg
Savant

Post #93

Post by Tcg »

Danmark wrote:
Tcg wrote: [Replying to post 1 by 2Dbunk]

Point well taken, however is much like Hitler in other ways. This would not be so bad except it is the very reason 28 to 30% of Americans stand by him no matter what he does. I am sad to see so many of my fellow Americans share this creep's beliefs.

I am too. His immorality is not even hidden. He displays it for all to see, and yet they follow. I am astounded at this response, especially amongst those who claim to be moral.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #94

Post by Zzyzx »

[Replying to post 91 by Danmark]

Moderator Comment

Kindly do not use terms like ‘creep’, no matter how applicable you consider them to be. Maintaining civility in a public Forum is difficult enough without such provocations. And, there may be viewers who have the opposite opinion or possibly consider the person their messiah.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

bluegreenearth
Guru

Some More News

Post #95

Post by bluegreenearth »

This is probably the best assessment of that question I've ever seen:

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Re: Some More News

Post #96

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 94 by bluegreenearth]

A very entertaining link! One that suggests that Hitler was a totalitarian and Mussolini an authoritarian -- the latter being a fascist. Part two goes on to say that Trump pretty much meets the 14-item requirement of Fascism . . . the main one being against everything proposed by the left, including feminism, equal rights of minorities and immigrants, internationalism.

Nationalism, the Flag, white supremacy, MAGA are paramount in Fascism -- otherwise we would appear weak. But remember, Hitler thought liberal America weak and decadent -- and we ALL know how that worked out.
What good is truth if its value is not more than unproven, handed-down faith?

One believes things because one is conditioned to believe them. -Aldous Huxley

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #97

Post by Elijah John »

2Dbunk wrote: [Replying to post 94 by bluegreenearth] Part two goes on to say that Trump pretty much meets the 14-item requirement of Fascism . . . the main one being against everything proposed by the left, including feminism, equal rights of minorities and immigrants,....
So how exactly is President Trump "against equal rights of minorities"? Nice straw man.

Also, are you conflating "immigrants" with "illegal immigrants"? Illegal immigrants do not have all the rights of an American citizen, including the right to vote. Nor should they.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #98

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 96 by Elijah John]
So how exactly is President Trump "against equal rights of minorities"? Nice straw man.
By implication, of course. How he denigrated that Michigan Judge who was of Mexican descent. How he denigrated the parents of a Muslim military officer killed in action defending our nation. How he ridicules people of disability. How he discriminated against minorities in his New York real estate ventures.
Also, are you conflating "immigrants" with "illegal immigrants"? Illegal immigrants do not have all the rights of an American citizen, including the right to vote. Nor should they.
I think my answer above covers his distaste for immigrants of color, too.

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #99

Post by Danmark »

More than anything else, Trump's overwhelming support by 'Christian' evangelicals shows Christianity has ZERO positive effect on the majority of its adherents. In fact Christianity overall is a negative influence on politics and behavior. The election of Trump has proved the bankruptcy of Christian 'morality.

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #100

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 98 by Danmark]
More than anything else, Trump's overwhelming support by 'Christian' evangelicals shows Christianity has ZERO positive effect on the majority of its adherents. In fact Christianity overall is a negative influence on politics and behavior. The election of Trump has proved the bankruptcy of Christian 'morality.
This proves that only a few can break away from parental indoctrination, social indoctrination. In my case it took years of growing doubt coupled with the fact my parents were split in THEIR religious indoctrination, allowing me to find my own way amidst their chaotic marriage. In my wife's case and her brother (former Catholics), they just knew intuitively that the nuns were pushing a dead horse, and the priests were just as human as everyone else -- and of course they too came from a broken home.

With rare exception, the more bonded the nuclear family the less chance of breaking away (why fix something that isn't broken?). As babes brought into this world, our slates were clean. Few survived that early indoctrination; that baptismal soaking -- but that is all our parents knew, and without knowing any better it was the thing to do.

That's why we have good people following a BAD EXAMPLE because Trump is carrying the banner of God (and he is as much a Christian as Hector's pup). The Democrats won't play the religion card so much, and the "chosen" one, even as a proven demagogue, will lead the flock to God knows where.
What good is truth if its value is not more than unproven, handed-down faith?