Let he who is without sin...

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Let he who is without sin...

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Christians are fond of the tales where Jesus (Joshua) abrogates the Judaic punishment for adultery with the wisdom... “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.�

Now adultery was one of the Commandments, and like the others, violation of it demanded death, according to God.

But some guy named Josh abrogated it with a bit of Hellenic wisdom.
Odd, to say the least.

Judaic law said the adulterer should be stoned, if I were Judaic, I wouldn’t see the problem.

But let’s expand the reasoning, shall we?
Say someone worships another god?
Should they be killed? Or should only those without sin kill them?
How about bearing false witness?
Should their sin be abrogated by “let he who is without sin, cast the first stone�?

How about murder?
Or is adultery the only Commandment that can be ignored in this way?

How does this all work out?
How does one address the hypocracy?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: Let he who is without sin...

Post #2

Post by ttruscott »

Willum wrote:How does one address the hypocracy?
Your pov misses the mark:
John 8:4 ...and said, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such a woman. So what do You say?�

6 They said this to test Him, in order to have a basis for accusing Him.

His answer was NOT against the law or keeping the law but against their hope to be able to accuse Him and so shut Him up. They were evil in that as sinners they were willing to stone the lady for her sin as a means to attack Him and they were hypocrites in not bringing along the man she was caught with.

His answer by stepped all references to the law and opened their minds to how evil they were being to cause her suffering to attack Him.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Willum
Savant

Post #3

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 2 by ttruscott]

That is answered in two ways.
1. That is your interpretation, however popular, of a story I can read myself, and accept your way, or prima facia.
2. Jesus, aka had no credentials that made his opinion noteworthy.

Then there is the actual topic, you so tried to avoid.

Are the Commandments et&al., only punishable by people who have not sinned? Why this one?

And, in the eyes of the Judaic, YOU are calling their Bible evil...
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Savant

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

Willum wrote: ...
How does this all work out?
I think you should ask it from person who is set by God to be judge. Bible doesn’t give right to be judge for everyone. For example, I don’t have right to judge. Do you, has God set you to be a judge? If so, please read all the rules that were given to judges.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #5

Post by Divine Insight »

ttruscott wrote:
Willum wrote:How does one address the hypocracy?
Your pov misses the mark:
John 8:4 ...and said, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such a woman. So what do You say?�

6 They said this to test Him, in order to have a basis for accusing Him.

His answer was NOT against the law or keeping the law but against their hope to be able to accuse Him and so shut Him up. They were evil in that as sinners they were willing to stone the lady for her sin as a means to attack Him and they were hypocrites in not bringing along the man she was caught with.

His answer by stepped all references to the law and opened their minds to how evil they were being to cause her suffering to attack Him.

If it was their intention to have a basis for accusing Jesus of not knowing the law then their plan was successful.

Clearly this event never happened and was only written to try to make out that Jesus outsmarted the religious authorities. If it was the intent of the religious leaders to catch Jesus being ignorant of the law, then they most certainly would have succeeded had this event truly taken place.

There is nothing in Jewish law that decrees that only those who are without sin should obey this commandment from Yahweh.

So the response the authors of this story placed in the mouth of Jesus fails anyway. So the authors of these stories revealed the fallacy of their tales by the very way that they made them up.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Willum
Savant

Post #6

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 4 by 1213]

Hey, according to the Garden of Eden, we all have the knowledge of good and evil. Therefore we can all judge, according to your God.

[Replying to post 2 by ttruscott]

I am curious how everyone knew it was a trap. Did they admit it later, and so get themselves stoned? Wouldn’t the adulterer be stoned for complacency? Etc., etc..
However as DI mentioned, he DID NOT know the law.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

Willum wrote: Hey, according to the Garden of Eden, we all have the knowledge of good and evil. Therefore we can all judge, according to your God.
Please show the scripture that says we all have the knowledge of good and evil?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #8

Post by Divine Insight »

1213 wrote:
Willum wrote: Hey, according to the Garden of Eden, we all have the knowledge of good and evil. Therefore we can all judge, according to your God.
Please show the scripture that says we all have the knowledge of good and evil?
Have you read the Bible at all? :-k

It's all laid out here in the third chapter of Genesis.

Genesis 3
[5] For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
[6] And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
[7] And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.
[8] And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.
[9] And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
[10] And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
[11] And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Savant

Post #9

Post by 1213 »

Divine Insight wrote:
1213 wrote: Please show the scripture that says we all have the knowledge of good and evil?
…It's all laid out here in the third chapter of Genesis.

Genesis 3
[5] For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
….
Sorry, that is what the serpent said to Eve. It is possible that he lied and even if he didn’t lie, it was said for Eve, not for all people.

Willum
Savant

Post #10

Post by Willum »

Yes, yes, I am sure it is possible. Not what the Bible says, but it is certainly probable the Bible is wrong.

I suppose it would be irrational to get folks to talk about the topic?