Why did Jesus present two different paths to eternal life?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Why did Jesus present two different paths to eternal life?

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

In Matthew 19, Jesus answers a young man's question. The question is, “Teacher,
what good thing must I do to get eternal life?� Jesus answers, "If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.�

In John 3, Jesus is talking with a Pharisee named Nicodemus. Jesus confuses Nicodemus when he speaks of the need to be born again. Jesus then speaks more directly and states, "Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.�

In Matthew 19, the path is to keep the commandments. In John 3, it is belief.

Why did Jesus teach two different paths to eternal life?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Mithrae
Prodigy

Re: Why did Jesus present two different paths to eternal lif

Post #2

Post by Mithrae »

[Replying to post 1 by Tcg]

The obvious answer of course is that the first and fourth gospels were produced by two very different human authors under very different circumstances, for different audiences and influenced by different personal beliefs. Almost one third of the bible's references to 'belief' occur in John's gospel, well over twice as many as in the three other gospels combined.

But I don't think the effort to 'harmonize' them is all that difficult, nor even particularly implausible. Apparently speaking towards a Jewish audience, Matthew is the most notable of the three synoptic gospels in its emphasis that disobedience to God's commands begins in the heart and in the smallest attitudes and actions (Matthew 5:21-30). Conversely, speaking towards a Gentile audience John's gospel may well be taking the mirror approach, by encouraging the beginnings of an attitude leading to obedience (at least in cases of genuine belief that Jesus was who the gospels say he is and commanded what the gospels record). John certainly isn't shy about emphasizing the necessity of obedience later on in his gospel in the last supper dialogue with the disciples:
  • John 14:15 “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.

John 14:21 He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.�

John 15:10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

John 15:14 You are My friends if you do what I command you.

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 1 by Tcg]

Christianity 100% does believe in salvation by works. Everyone not relying on salavation by faith in Jesus is going to be judged by their works.

I just don't like my chances of passing on my own merit.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Tcg]

Christianity 100% does believe in salvation by works.
The author of John, and therefore Jesus, 100% disagrees with this. Perhaps you will attempt to resolve the clear contradiction.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Goose
Guru

Post #5

Post by Goose »

Tcg wrote:

The author of John, and therefore Jesus, 100% disagrees with this. Perhaps you will attempt to resolve the clear contradiction.
Where is this clear contradiction? A & ~ A at the same time in the same sense, that's a clear contradiction.

There are two types of paths to heaven spoken of in the Gospels.

20 “For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. - Matthew 5:20

16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. - John 3:16
Things atheists say:

"Is it the case [that torturing and killing babies for fun is immoral]? Prove it." - Bust Nak

"For the record...I think the Gospels are intentional fiction and Jesus wasn't a real guy." – Difflugia

"Julius Caesar and Jesus both didn't exist." - brunumb

"...most atheists have no arguments or evidence to disprove God." – unknown soldier (a.k.a. the banned member Jagella)

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

Goose wrote:
Tcg wrote:

Where is this clear contradiction? A & ~ A at the same time in the same sense, that's a clear contradiction.

Perhaps you haven't read Wootah's claim. Wootah claims "Christianity 100% does believe in salvation by works."

You claim there are two paths to heaven. You can't both be right.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Goose
Guru

Post #7

Post by Goose »

Tcg wrote:
Goose wrote:
Tcg wrote:

Perhaps you haven't read Wootah's claim. Wootah claims "Christianity 100% does believe in salvation by works."
Right. Now how is that a contradiction?
Of course we can since we aren't making contradictory claims.
Things atheists say:

"Is it the case [that torturing and killing babies for fun is immoral]? Prove it." - Bust Nak

"For the record...I think the Gospels are intentional fiction and Jesus wasn't a real guy." – Difflugia

"Julius Caesar and Jesus both didn't exist." - brunumb

"...most atheists have no arguments or evidence to disprove God." – unknown soldier (a.k.a. the banned member Jagella)

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

Goose wrote:
Tcg wrote:
Goose wrote:
Tcg wrote:

Right. Now how is that a contradiction?
Have you read John chapter 3?
Of course we can since we aren't making contradictory claims.
Belief versus keeping the commandments are indeed contradictory claims. Have you read Matthew 19?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

WeSee
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by WeSee »

Tcg wrote: .
In Matthew 19, Jesus answers a young man's question. The question is, “Teacher,
what good thing must I do to get eternal life?� Jesus answers, "If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.�

In John 3, Jesus is talking with a Pharisee named Nicodemus. Jesus confuses Nicodemus when he speaks of the need to be born again. Jesus then speaks more directly and states, "Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.�

In Matthew 19, the path is to keep the commandments. In John 3, it is belief.

Why did Jesus teach two different paths to eternal life?

Tcg

There is disagreement amongst biblical scholars as to when Jesus stops talking in John 3 and the narrator of John begins.

Following is how one scholar sees it:
Dear Dr. Bock,
Can you explain why various translations of the Bible differ on whether John 3:16 is a direct quote of Jesus or a comment of the narrator of the Gospel?
many thanks. GBU.

The answer is that there is a judgment about where Jesus words stop in John 3 as he is dialoging with Nicodemus. (Sometimes editors determine the red in red letter Bibles to say where Jesus is speaking, rather than the speaker being clearly named in the text.) Some go as far with Jesus speaking as 3:21. However the phrasing in v 16-- "one and only Son" [also in v 18] -- is more Johannine than the language of Jesus (see John 1:14, 18). Jesus speaks of himself as simply the Son in John (e.g, John 5:19) or as Son of Man (vv 13-14). The light-darkness contrast later in the unit also fits in this category. So it is likely John 3:16-21 are the comments of John on the significance of what Jesus said to Nicodemus.

Pasted from <http://blogs.bible.org/node/487>
Perhaps the narrator starts speaking as early as John 3:15. Regardless, there's no reason to take John 3:15 so literally anyway. The only way to understand what Jesus had in mind is to take the gospel preached by Him in its entirety. Taking verses out of context is never going to get you there.

The simplest and most reasonable answer is that Jesus didn't teach two different paths to eternal life. That Jesus only taught righteousness, i.e., "keep the commandments", as the ultimate requirement for eternal life.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #10

Post by Elijah John »

WeSee wrote:
The simplest and most reasonable answer is that Jesus didn't teach two different paths to eternal life. That Jesus only taught righteousness, i.e., "keep the commandments", as the ultimate requirement for eternal life.
HJ (Historical Jesus) scholars would agree with your statement here. The Synoptics better represent the real, historical Jesus and his positions than does the outlier, Gospel of John, which is heavily tinged with the author's theological commentary put on the lips of Jesus.

And to address the OP more directly, in light of this it is unlikely that the real, historical Jesus taught two different paths. Only the first one, in the more reliable Gospel of Mark (and the other two Synoptics), i.e, the observance of the Law, from the heart, or in its distilled form, love of God and neighbor which Jesus characterizes as the "Law and the Prophets".

It's notable that Evangelical salvation tracks never contain Jesus statements from the Synoptics, but mostly only verses from John and the writings of Paul. Paul, who offers yet another path to salvation, one which Jesus never taught. That of "believing in your heart that God raised him from the dead". Jesus never taught this as a condition (or path) for salvation.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.