Why do we pray?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Why do we pray?

Post #1

Post by marco »

We hear of angels forever praising God, which suggests a horrible existence. Jesus told us to point out, when we pray, that God is in heaven and request bread on a daily basis as well as forgiveness for anything we do wrong.

As an example of prayer we can look at the prayers offered to God in the Holocaust. Were they answered, and if not, what was the point? Perhaps prayer is best when it coincidentally hits a success button: we want sun and we get it.

Has prayer a purpose?

Is it just a waste of time?

marco
Savant

Re: Why do we pray?

Post #2

Post by marco »

[Replying to post 1 by marco]

If we are in extreme difficulties and our Father is watching, should it be necessary to use the formula: "God, I need help" ?

There is a prayer, the divine praises, which just states: Blessed be God, blessed be his holy name and so on. Poor Muslims were told to pray 100 times a day, which would have involved not eating perhaps. Muhammad bargained and got the figure down to five, which devout Muslims observe to this day, in the modern 21st century.

It seems such a silly relic from a bygone age, whatever our religion.

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

marco wrote: We hear of angels forever praising God, which suggests a horrible existence. Jesus told us to point out, when we pray, that God is in heaven and request bread on a daily basis as well as forgiveness for anything we do wrong.

As an example of prayer we can look at the prayers offered to God in the Holocaust. Were they answered, and if not, what was the point? Perhaps prayer is best when it coincidentally hits a success button: we want sun and we get it.

Has prayer a purpose?

Years ago, I was involved in a Christian young adult group. During one Thursday night gathering, we took prayer requests before offering our supplication to God. One young lady suggested we should pray that it wouldn't rain the following Saturday as we would be going on a canoe trip that day.

That summer happened to include one of the worst droughts our area had ever experienced. I was keenly aware of this as I worked at an orchard and saw the drought's effects on a daily basis. I suggested we pray for rain. My suggestion just about brought the proceedings to an end. Expressions of confusion spread through the group.

Eventually we regained momentum and prayed. The overwhelming majority prayed that it wouldn't rain. God listened to the canoeists. It didn't rain for over a month. The farmers lost millions in revenue, but our happy little group enjoyed a rain free Saturday.

Perhaps we were better Christians than the farmers.

Or maybe, just maybe, our prayers, and those of the farmers, had absolutely no effect on the weather that summer.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Clownboat
Savant

Post #4

Post by Clownboat »

marco wrote: We hear of angels forever praising God, which suggests a horrible existence. Jesus told us to point out, when we pray, that God is in heaven and request bread on a daily basis as well as forgiveness for anything we do wrong.

Has prayer a purpose?

Prayer seems to be a mechanism where people can feel like they are doing something to help another (for example) without actually doing anything at all. (Besides the voiced prayer obviously).

If things go bad... God works in mysterious ways or blame Satan.
If things go well... they can pat themselves on the back for invoking help from a god.

It has a purpose, it's just a very selfish purpose.

It agrivates me to see a friend on Facebook for example going through a hard time.
The Christians offer to pray and the unbelievers offer to bring them meals.

Only one person has done anything helpful, but they both get to feel like they helped.

Just think how much better this world would be if instead of people saying they would pray for you about your scenario, they actually got off their butts and did something to actually help. (Obviously there are exceptions and there are religous people that not only pray, but also help. Kudos to them of course. They would probably make a lovely atheists/agnostic/ignostic if they were not already religious).
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

marco wrote: ...
Has prayer a purpose?
When I pray, it has a purpose. I want to thank God, because I am thankful to Him. If I would ask something, the purpose would be to get what I ask. But I have learned that God’s will is better than my, so I ask that God’s will happens in my life.

marco
Savant

Post #6

Post by marco »

Tcg wrote:

Or maybe, just maybe, our prayers, and those of the farmers, had absolutely no effect on the weather that summer.
Coincidence is God's best accomplice. From earliest times an answered prayer brings a bit of belief. I am told there are good prayers and there are bad prayers, but neither sort seems guaranteed an answer. The pious will say all prayers are heard, but many are given no immediate answer, even those that desperately need something right away.

When a church crashes to the ground killing worshippers, the living step outside and pray for the assistance that did not come. Only the fool claims there's no God. The wise view miles of destruction and thank God for his mercy, for somewhere in the debris a baby is crying and is saved by the grace of God.

marco
Savant

Post #7

Post by marco »

Clownboat wrote:
They would probably make a lovely atheist/agnostic/ignostic if they were not already religious).
Prayer is the straw that the drowning man clutches at. As a boy I was directed to pray for the conversion of Russia, and when light appeared there, it was God's work. But God seems to have reversed his decision.

A child loses a limb and with medical help his life is saved. Prayers of thanksgiving are offered to God, not to the doctors. God took only an arm when it could have been a life. What a work of art is man!

marco
Savant

Post #8

Post by marco »

1213 wrote:
marco wrote: ...
Has prayer a purpose?
When I pray, it has a purpose. I want to thank God, because I am thankful to Him. If I would ask something, the purpose would be to get what I ask. But I have learned that God’s will is better than my, so I ask that God’s will happens in my life.
That is very noble, and perhaps cautious, 1213. In what way would God's will NOT happen in your life? If one is stung by a wasp, should one thank God it was not a malaria-carrying mosquito? In life tragedies come as often as benefits. Some poor souls have more than their fair share of the former: in what way should they pray? Would it make the slightest difference?

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #9

Post by OnceConvinced »

God always answers prayer:
If you get what you want it's a yes.
If you don't get what you want then it's
- no
- wait

In other words, whatever will be will be.

If you are good and get what you prayed for then it's "God's blessing"
If you are good and don't get what you prayed for, then it's "being tested".
If you are bad and get what you prayed for then, "God's grace is upon you"
If you are bad and you don't get what you prayed for, it's because you are being punished.

If prayer fails you can always make these excuses:

-You didn’t have enough faith.
-You asked with the wrong motives.
-There is sin you have not dealt with.
-The timing is not right.
-It was not God’s will.
-God had better things in store

Has prayer a purpose?

You can make up all sorts of purposes for it, but all it really accomplishes is to make you feel better about yourself and make you think you are helping when really you're doing nothing. It can work as a placebo affect.

Well apart from the placebo affect and the boosting your self esteem, courage, inner strength, peace, mood - all of which any type of meditation can achieve, then it is a waste of time. There is no real way to be able to tell whether it works or not. The only way you could really do that is go back in time, don't pray (or do pray) and then see if you get the same result.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #10

Post by OnceConvinced »

1213 wrote:

When I pray, it has a purpose. I want to thank God, because I am thankful to Him.
Is there a purpose in thanking him? Does it empower him? Boost his ego?
1213 wrote:
If I would ask something, the purpose would be to get what I ask. But I have learned that God’s will is better than my, so I ask that God’s will happens in my life.
So is there a chance that his will will not happen in your life?
How does he ensure his will happens without violating your freewill?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World