Why is communication with God one way?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Why is communication with God one way?

Post #1

Post by marco »

Communication with the Christian deity seems one directional. If we try many times to contact someone and get no answer what should we assume?
The person is annoyed with us? The person has gone or is dead? Our method of contact is faulty - maybe a wrong number?

In the case of God what is the explanation for communication being only one way?

marco
Savant

Re: Why is communication with God one way?

Post #2

Post by marco »

marco wrote:
In the case of God what is the explanation for communication being only one way?
A devout friend told me that the format of communication is important, else God won't answer. Others say that God will answer in his own time. But he's a single recipient, and has billions of callers. What is the proof that ONE caller got through?

It may be that God has changed his address and lives in a Black Hole whence nothing escapes.

SallyF
Guru

Post #3

Post by SallyF »

The most obvious explanation is that all versions of "God" are just make-believe.

For some of us, our door is WIDE open for just the tiniest suggestion of evidence that the biblical Jehovah, or ANY other deity, is ANYTHING more than imaginary.

Member William tells us that he is in daily communication with Jesus … he may be able to help.
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

marco
Savant

Post #4

Post by marco »

SallyF wrote:

For some of us, our door is WIDE open …..
My goodness, SallyF, be careful. If Yahweh steps in he might demand every living thing be put to death, including the hamsters. A note from heaven is fine, but a VISIT - think of the neighbours if he shows his temper as with Sodom when thos wicked babies were destroyed and as a final act of spite Lot's wife was transformed to be used by passing Arabs to flavour their food. Gruesome.

Avoice
Guru

Post #5

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to post 1 by marco]

Because the line has been cut. That's why. Understand...The God of Israel does not support Christianity. He is not a part of it. Christians just believe he is. But if they spoke absolute truth they would have to say that they dont know whose voice is at that baptism or on the mountain with the disciples.

Christians will come up with all sorts of somersaults and reasons why the God of Israel doesnt talk in their testament. They need his endorsement otherwise they are idoloters.

No Christian has enough truth in them to honestly speak these words: God does not speak in our bible. He only speaks in the Hebrew bible.

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

[Replying to post 5 ]

Avoice: God does not speak in our bible. He only speaks in the Hebrew bible.

William: How is one different from the other, when the OPQ is specifically asking "Why is communication with God one way?" and "what is the explanation for communication being only one way."

marco appears clearly to be asking "Why does God not commune with the individual directly?" and the Hebrew bible, just like the Christian bible, cannot provide that tyoe of communion, for these are books, not God.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Some claim that God speaks to them. The odd thing is that those who make this claim often get messages that conflict with messages others get.

Perhaps God has grown bored waiting for his son to return to earth and has turned to a bit of mischief for relief. He gives conflicting messages and then sits back and enjoys the polite argument that follows.

Not a particularly nice thing, but one can understand given a 2,000 year idle. Besides, as we are often assured, I'm sure he'll explain it all once we get to heaven. We'll certainly appreciate the joke then, at least if we've chosen the correct path. If we follow the wrong message and its false path, we may be a bit less amused.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

marco
Savant

Post #8

Post by marco »

Avoice wrote: [[url=http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 385#990385]

No Christian has enough truth in them to honestly speak these words: God does not speak in our bible. He only speaks in the Hebrew bible.

The commonest prayer in Christianity is addressed to the God of Abraham. Had Yahweh been offended at "idolatry" he would have - given his past record for violence - made his feelings known, perhaps by killing all the first born again. But he's been silent.

Oddly enough, when his people needed him most in the Holocaust, he was silent too. Perhaps they wore the wrong colours when they went to the gas chambers, thus displeasing the deity. We can smile on what the ancient Israelites believed but we can make allowances for their superstitions. God's silence towards them is maybe worse than his silence towards Christians.

marco
Savant

Post #9

Post by marco »

William wrote: [Replying to post 5 ]

Avoice: God does not speak in our bible. He only speaks in the Hebrew bible.

William: How is one different from the other, when the OPQ is specifically asking "Why is communication with God one way?" and "what is the explanation for communication being only one way."

marco appears clearly to be asking "Why does God not commune with the individual directly?" and the Hebrew bible, just like the Christian bible, cannot provide that tyoe of communion, for these are books, not God.
Yes, a book about tribes fighting and people being hacked to death is not a communication from God any more than Homer's Odyssey is.

For me the silence of the God of Israel when he was most needed last century is rather telling.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Post by JehovahsWitness »

NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses I have abslutely no proof to offer except the testimony of my personal experience.

Biblically God communicates with his people primarily
  • - through his written word the bible
    - by means of his organization
    - through fellow worshippers
    - by holy spirit
    - by direct intervention
In my experience when God does communicate he leaves those in a relationship with him in absolutely no doubt about his thoughts direction and sentiments. Fellow worshippers have often testified (and I have experienced it myself) the often starling speed in which Jehovah answers the sincere prayers of prayers his people. Communication between God and those he loves is touching and very much two way.

DOES GOD COMMUNICATE WITH EVERYONE IN SUCH A WAY?
  • There is a scripture in the bible that says "people who aren't spiritual can't receive these truths from God's Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them and they can't understand it, for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means". This can be taken to mean among other things, that such two-way commincation with an unseen God is not open nor can it be grasped by those God has chosen to ignore.

NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses I have abslutely no proof to offer except the testimony of my personal experience.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8