What belifs make a Christain?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Donray
Guru

What belifs make a Christain?

Post #1

Post by Donray »

For me to ask a question in another topic I need to understand what beliefs a Christain must have to be called a Christian.

From my understanding in using this board, several online religious course, and my
knowledge on the bible I have come to the following:

There are only two beliefs that all Christians must have:

1: That Mary was a virgin and God created a baby in her.
2: Jesus was crucified and rose from bring dead.

It does matter if you think the bible is 100% true or 100% stories and myths.
It does not matter if ware magic underwear or not.
It does not matter if you are baptized or not.
It does not matter if your gay or not.
It does not matter what rituals you perform.
It does not matter if you belong to one of thousand Christain cults and main religions.
It does not matter if you pray or attend a church.

Nothing else matters.

Am I correct?

Tcg
Savant

Re: What belifs make a Christain?

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 1 by Donray]

I am fully convinced that the only belief needed to be a Christian is that one is following what they are convinced is the teaching of Jesus Christ. Given that Christians themselves can't reach any agreement as to what that teaching is, no one can validly claim that another isn't following his teaching.

Beyond that, I've met Christians who belief neither that Jesus was born of a virgin nor that he rose from the dead. In fact, I've met Christians who were atheists and believe that Jesus was nothing more than a good teacher.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Elijah John
Savant

Post #3

Post by Elijah John »

Moderator Clarification

On this site it has been determined that "Christian" means simply anyone who identifies as a Christian. But if people want to debate what makes a Christian beyond the boundaries of this site, (i.e. in the "outside world") that is fair game for debate and discussion here. But no name-calling, ("cultist" "false prophet" "deceiver", "child of the Devil" "pawn of Satan" etc) and as always, be civil with each other. ;) In other words, don't demonize those who differ with you on this matter.

Rules
C&A Guidelines

Moderator clarifications do not count as a strike against any posters. They serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received and/or are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels a clarification of the rules is required.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #4

Post by brianbbs67 »

Jesus didn't have to be born of a virgin. Alma means young woman. So, no virgin required and technically, after insemenation by the Holy Spirit(God), was not a virgin any more. The whole God coming down and having a child in the carnal way sounds more like western than eastern thought.

The early believers in Yeshau as the Messiah were known as the sect of the Way. True Torah observance as Christ endorsed, free of the traditions of man which negated God's law. They worshipped in the Temple and Synagogues. They were Hebrews. If you follow Yeshua's way, you are what came to be called christian. I am not so sure, today, as everyone seems to seek to be excluded or the least in heaven.

Donray
Guru

Post #5

Post by Donray »

So, I am a Christain if I say so even if I belive in NO gods and that the bible is all myths and lies?

And since I am now a Christain then I get to heaven. Do I have this correct?

Keep in mine I am a good person, most likely better then church going Christians.

Nothing defines what it means to be a Christain expect to name one self a Christain. No other beliefs are required?

No wonder people have a hard time pinning down the Christian belief system. When a Muslim can be a Christain just by saying they are and still follow all Islam beliefs. This means that Islam beliefs can be Christain.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #6

Post by Elijah John »

Donray wrote: So, I am a Christain if I say so even if I belive in NO gods and that the bible is all myths and lies?

Keep in mine I am a good person, most likely better then church going Christians.

Nothing defines what it means to be a Christain expect to name one self a Christain. No other beliefs are required?

No wonder people have a hard time pinning down the Christian belief system. When a Muslim can be a Christain just by saying they are and still follow all Islam beliefs. This means that Islam beliefs can be Christain.
Moderator Clarification

Yes, here on this site one need only identify oneself as a Christian. But sincerity is implicit in that identification. In the outside world, what constitutes a Christian is debatable. And we can debate here, what it means out there. The important thing is not to label anyone on this site who identifies as a Christian a false Christian.

Rules
C&A Guidelines

Moderator clarifications do not count as a strike against any posters. They serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received and/or are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels a clarification of the rules is required.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

marco
Savant

Post #7

Post by marco »

brianbbs67 wrote:
Jesus didn't have to be born of a virgin. Alma means young woman. So, no virgin required and technically, after insemenation by the Holy Spirit(God), was not a virgin any more.
Christians would not maintain "insemination" took place but that Mary mystically conceived.To qualify as a virgin all that's required is that one has not had sexual intercourse. So she remained virginal.

The problem with taking "alma" in the Isaiah prophecy as "young woman" is that the words then mean absolutely nothing.
"Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, a young woman shall conceive and bear a son....." Some sign!
brianbbs67 wrote:
If you follow Yeshua's way, you are what came to be called christian. I am not so sure, today, as everyone seems to seek to be excluded or the least in heaven.
Well this ignores the small print. Jesus took the view: ""I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." That being so, those who seem to be doing some nice things, such as Jesus wanted, are not his followers unless they go through him, whatever that means. Presumably they must speak the appropriate ovine language so as to hear his voice and be prepared for the disappointment that though thousands turn up, there's just seating for a few. It is nice to think true Christianity is a big broad church but Jesus never said so.

Wootah
Savant

Post #8

Post by Wootah »

Donray wrote: So, I am a Christain if I say so even if I belive in NO gods and that the bible is all myths and lies?

Romans 10:9-14 English Standard Version (ESV)
9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. 11 For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.� 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. 13 For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.�

14 How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard?[a] And how are they to hear without someone preaching?

For me a Christian, at core, calls Jesus Lord with their heart and tongue.

It'sa testament to Jesus that so many who do not do both of those things still want some of His glory.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Aetixintro »

Donray wrote: For me to ask a question in another topic I need to understand what beliefs a Christain must have to be called a Christian.

From my understanding in using this board, several online religious course, and my

It does matter if you think the bible is 100% true or 100% stories and myths.
It does not matter if you are baptized or not.
It does not matter if you belong to one of thousand Christain cults and main religions.

Nothing else matters.

Am I correct?
I'll add 3:
3. Christians are given the 10 Commandments, separating them from barbarians.
4. Christians believe in God, the creator. See Genesis of the Bible.
5. Christians relate to the true Bible as word of God to humanity. Many Christians also have a physical Bible and/or read the Bible on the internet.
(6. Christians can't be perverts because immorality makes them depart from Christianity.)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

AdHoc
Guru

Post #10

Post by AdHoc »

Donray wrote: For me to ask a question in another topic I need to understand what beliefs a Christain must have to be called a Christian.

I'm interested why you chose these two as the essential beliefs. I agree with them of course but why didn't you choose any number of other assertions from the bible?
Donray wrote: It does matter if you think the bible is 100% true or 100% stories and myths.
haha. Wait... are you wearing magic underwear right now?

Don't send a picture. I'll take your word for it...
Donray wrote: It does not matter if you are baptized or not.

Nothing else matters.

Am I correct?
I have a different opinion.

I think the two essential Christian beliefs are:

1) That the bible is the inspired word of God
2) That Jesus Christ is God

If a one doesn't believe the bible then they are creating their own religion based on their own beliefs. This is fine of course but its different from christianity where Jesus and the apostles quote scripture as authoritative. And if you think about it logically how could you hold any belief with confidence if you can't use scripture to support it as God's word? I mean we would have chaos there could be like 30,000 sects of christianity and people would just do whatever was right in their own eyes...

If one doesn't believe Jesus is the One True God then He is a false god or no god and then the bible would be in contradiction with itself and collapse. See point #1.