Subjective Morality

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

The Tanager
Savant

Subjective Morality

Post #1

Post by The Tanager »

I started this post out of another discussion with Divine Insight. DI has made some arguments for morality being subjective. I'm still trying to get the terminology straight.
Divine Insight wrote:If morality is not absolute, then it can only be subjective. A matter of opinion.
We need to get our terms straight when talking about our human morality. I agree with you concerning 'subjective' being a matter of opinion. Objective, then, would mean not being a matter of opinion. Just like the shape of the earth is not a matter of opinion. X is good or bad for everyone.

Absolute vs. situational is a sub-issue concerning objectivism. The absolutist would say X is good or bad for everyone (and thus objectivism) no matter the situation. The situationalist would say X is good or bad for everyone but qualified by the situation.

In this phrasing, morality can be objectivist without being absolute. Now, I don't care if these are the terms we agree upon or not, but there must be some term for each concept I've presented. If you want to use "absolute" for "objective" above, that's fine. But you've got to tell me what two terms you want to use for what I termed the "absolute vs. situational" sub-issue.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #41

Post by Divine Insight »

wiploc wrote: For one thing, if we didn't have the concept, then you couldn't argue that morality is subjective.
Just because we can conceptualize something doesn't make it objective.

I would personally argue that we don't even need a concept of morality at all. Not even a subjective morality. What good is morality? All morality is useful for is for passing judgements on people.

We have laws. And laws are what keep people from doing things we don't want them to do. At least it keeps most people from doing things we don't want them to do.

And laws really have nothing to do with morality, nor should they.

I have to pay property taxes lest I get in trouble with the law. What in the world does paying property tax have to do with morality or concepts of right or wrong?

I personally think that property tax is wrong in the first place.

I have to get my car inspected, licensed, and insured. What in the world does any of that have to do with morality? Most of our laws have nothing at all to do with morality.

Even laws that might seem to be about morality really have nothing to do with morality. Like stealing and shoplifting. There would be laws against doing those things just as a matter of commercial practicality. Who cares whether we judge a thief to be a "Good or Bad" person? That's not the point of the law. The law isn't out to brand people as being good or bad. It's just out to insure that people don't do things we don't want to be done. That's all.

None of our laws should be based on moral judgements anyway. We don't have laws against murder because we think it's morally wrong. We have laws against murder because we don't want people going around killing each other just because they feel like it. It simply isn't compatible with trying to create a safe and strong society.

A society doesn't even need to have any concept of morality at all. All they need to do is make practical laws and enforce them. What purpose does it serve to judge the criminals to be "bad people"? It serves no purpose at all other than potentially publicly shamming them.

So we don't even need a concept of morality. What does morality have to do with setting a speed limit of 55 MPH on the highway? Absolutely nothing. We make all manner of laws that have absolutely nothing at all to do with morality.

Morality is a concept that has one use only. To judge others. That's it. Even the law doesn't use it. They don't judge whether a criminal is a good or bad person. All they do is judge whether or not he broke a law.

Societies have no need for morality anyway. It's a concept that we don't even need. Just make laws based on how a society expects their citizens to act, and that's all that's necessary. No moral judgements required. In fact, it's quite dangerous when they start making laws based on what they think is moral or immoral.

So morality is not only ill-defined. But it's virtually useless anyway.

Even subjective morality is a useless construct. It amounts to nothing more than passing moral judgements on others. That's all it's any good for.

And if we judge a person to be immoral, or have committed an immoral act and the law can't convict them. Then they get off Scott free anyway. Judging them to have been immoral is a total waste of time.

Please note: I may argue that morality only exists as a subjective human construct, but I never said it was worth anything, or has any practical use or value.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Artie
Prodigy

Post #42

Post by Artie »

The Tanager wrote:
Artie wrote:]If all the people in a society help each other it leads to a prosperous and well-functioning society with happy people. If all the people in a society murder each other you have only one person and no society left. So we say that helping is good and right and moral behavior and murdering each other is bad and wrong and immoral behavior. If you were of the subjective opinion that it would be good for a society if everybody murdered each other you would be objectively wrong. People can have subjective opinions about what is the objectively right thing to do in each situation but that doesn't mean that morality is subjective. It just means that we want to do what is objectively moral in each situation but disagree on what that is.
Others are saying similar things, so I only offer this as another way to word some of the critiques. I think you have given an objective truth on how best to achieve a specific goal, but not explained why that is what our goal should be. Even if evolution gave us that goal, you still need to explain why everyone ought to pursue that goal.
No I don't because I haven't mentioned anything about a goal not even in the paragraph you quoted. Why don't you comment on what I actually write instead of straw men or what you think?

The Tanager
Savant

Post #43

Post by The Tanager »

Argument #1: The existence of the suffering and death of innocent people shows morality to be a human subjective construct.
Divine Insight wrote:Isn't it a given that everyone who discusses morality would agree to this principle of morality no matter what position they take on morality being objective, subjective, absolute or otherwise?

I think you are the one who would need to support the idea that any sane person would try to claim that causing innocent people is not immoral. Who's going to argue that torturing babies should be considered to be a moral thing to do?

What's the point in discussing a concept called "morality" if you're going to start demanding support for the most basic moral concepts that everyone pretty much agrees on?
I understand this initial reaction. But as a parent, I do not seek my kids' comfort above all else; not all of their suffering is evil. And, if humans are eternal beings, then death is simply a natural part of a larger existence and not necessarily evil. So, it's not a given. And since you are using this idea to support your claim, you have the burden to show it is a good support, not to make a claim and then say that it's true unless someone can prove you wrong. Also, note that this is not in the slightest equivalent to arguing that torturing babies should be considered moral.
Divine Insight wrote:We know that innocent babies have been tortured both, by natural disasters and disease, as well as at the hands of sick humans.

So is it your intent to argue that every baby that is ever tortured must not be innocent? And must therefore deserve to be tortured?

That's a dangerous position to take because if someone came into your home and started torturing your baby you could not object. You'd have to take the position that since the baby is being tortured it must deserve it.

Do you really want to back yourself into those kinds of corners?
That does not follow at all. Just because someone is guilty, it does not mean that just anyone has the right to punish them in any way they want, but that's not the important point to make here.

I brought this up to be thorough, because I'm interested in really analyzing these ideas, challenging my own beliefs from all angles, giving the various perspectives voice, rather than simply trying to validate my already held beliefs. Many would say that original sin makes all humans guilty. I don't believe in original sin (at least not in that sense) but it is a view out there (and does not have to be tied to the Bible, although it usually is), that calls your argument here into question.

You can say there is no good reason to think "original sin" exists or that you think you can definitely show that it doesn't exist, or perhaps a different response. I was giving you that opportunity.

Argument #2: That the majority of humans are okay with killing species other than their own shows morality to be a human subjective construct.
Divine Insight wrote:It seems to me that you are heading to thin ice by suggesting that there should be an "objective morality" that only applies to humans.
Why is that "thin ice"?
Divine Insight wrote:Also if moral concepts don't extend to the animal kingdom, then how could you make a moral argument against animal abuse?
There is a difference between being a moral agent and what goes into moral considerations by moral agents. Why would moral agents only be allowed to consider one's effect on moral agents and not non-moral agents?

Argument #3: If killing isn't wrong across the board, then morality is a human subjective concept.
Divine Insight wrote:My argument is that it couldn't be a naturally objective morality.

It appears to me that you might be thinking in terms of some sort of religious morality where some God has subjectively decided that humans are more valuable then other animals.

But then you need to bring int0 the mix yet another conscious entity (i.e. a God) who has his own subjective opinions about morality. That ends up bringing subjectivity right back into the mix.
You have said that morality is a human subjective construct. That is what I've responded to. I agree with you that morality is not naturally objective (although, if true, moral platonism and a physical reductionism would seem to me to be naturally objective morality).

Argument #4: Moral disagreements show that morality is a human subjective concept.
Divine Insight wrote:This one is actually quite trivial. We have a physical earth to settle the disagreements humans have about the shape of the earth. Those who refuse to accept the facts of reality are simply unreasonable people. It's that simple.

So your attempt at an an analogy here breaks down in the worst possible way.

Where are you going to find any objective morality that you can hold up in the same way as a physical planet earth?
The example is a counter to the principle you used here to argue for a human subjective concept. That principle is that disagreement on X means that X is not objectively true. That's a demonstrably false principle.

Now, moral facts may not be demonstrable in the way scientific facts are, but so what? Does your argument assume that science is the only way to truth? If so, then you need to support that claim of scientism or your argument fails.

Argument #5: If morality does not apply to inanimate objects, then morality is a human subjective concept.
Divine Insight wrote:What can you point to as evidence for these proposed "moral agents"?
Your argument rests on everything being a moral "agent". I'm asking you to support that over against only some things being moral agents. You have the burden to support the claim your arguments rest on.
Divine Insight wrote:Any why does morality only apply to humans and nothing else?

And does a human-centric system of morality even make any sense?

I think it doesn't. We are already discovering that if we don't take care of our space ship Mother Earth we will soon be unable to survive on her anymore. So humans should be concerned with the morality of destroying our own planet.
That doesn't make earth a moral "agent". It just means moral agents should consider the earth in their moral actions.

Argument #6: If no evidence can be given for morality being non-subjective/objective/real/absolute, then morality is a human subjective concept.
Divine Insight wrote:So which is more reasonable to believe to be true?

If you are demanding that I "prove" that morality is a subjective moral construct, then you're barking up the wrong tree.
No, I'm saying let's see which is more reasonable to believe is true. We start with arguments for subjective morality. After that we look at arguments for non-subjective morality. We then decide which inference is the most plausible explanation.
Divine Insight wrote:Shouldn't you need to first produce an "objective morality" that we can test to see if it truly can be validated as being genuinely objective?
No. You made a claim. You have the burden to back it up. You have tried to do so and we are analyzing those arguments to see if they are sound. If, at the end, you are left with no other rational reason for believing in subjective morality other than there is no evidence for non-subjective morality, then we can look at possible reasoning for non-subjective morality. And if there is no evidence on either side, then we can talk about whether subjectivism, non-subjectivism, or agnosticism is the most reasonable position.

Argument #7: Even if morality is non-subjective, we can't know what it is.
Divine Insight wrote:However, one thing that no one can deny is that if there is an objective morality, then very few, if any, humans are aware of it or have a clue what it might be.

So what's even the point in trying to argue for an objective morality if you can't even point to it?

No one would have a clue what it might even be.
You made the claim that subjective morality exists in that other thread and this one. I am responding to that claim. I'm also willing afterwards to offer my own reasons for believing in non-subjective morality. If and/or how would one come to know what the non-subjective morality is would be an additional question, but it does not settle this one that we are talking about because of the claims you have made. After this discussion, start a thread on that and I'll share my thoughts.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #44

Post by The Tanager »

Artie wrote:No I don't because I haven't mentioned anything about a goal not even in the paragraph you quoted. Why don't you comment on what I actually write instead of straw men or what you think?
I'm truly sorry if I'm misunderstanding your view. I always welcome people correcting possible straw men that I've inadvertently created. You may not trust me, but I am offering my sincerity here and I hope my future actions will back this up.

You don't use the word "goal," but I think the concept is there. Perhaps there is a better word for it? When you say "If you were of the subjective opinion that it would be good for a society if everybody murdered each other you would be objectively wrong," then the bolded part is what I'm calling the goal. If you want to become a doctor, then it is good for you to go to medical school. The goal is becoming a doctor. If you want to be an office worker, then it is probably not good for you to go to medical school. The goal changes what is "good".

If you want a strong, healthy society, then it is good to act in the ways you've spoken of. But what if that is not your goal? I think you need to support why this should be the goal, even for those who don't have or want that as their goal.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #45

Post by The Tanager »

wiploc wrote:Utilitarianism comes to mind.

I hesitate to say that, because "objective" is so often used as a weasel word, but there are common meanings of "objective" according to which utilitarianism qualifies as objective.
The terms aside, I would still say this speaks of morality as a human social construct in the way DI is talking about it. I think it runs into the same problems that Artie's view does (whether he is utilitarian or has different reasons for talking about seeking the health of societies). Utilitarians have a goal in mind. There are objective ways to better reach that goal, but why should we have the utilitarians' goal versus some other one in the first place?

Artie
Prodigy

Post #46

Post by Artie »

The Tanager wrote:I'm truly sorry if I'm misunderstanding your view. I always welcome people correcting possible straw men that I've inadvertently created. You may not trust me, but I am offering my sincerity here and I hope my future actions will back this up.

You don't use the word "goal," but I think the concept is there.
No actually it isn't.
Perhaps there is a better word for it? When you say "If you were of the subjective opinion that it would be good for a society if everybody murdered each other you would be objectively wrong," then the bolded part is what I'm calling the goal. If you want to become a doctor, then it is good for you to go to medical school. The goal is becoming a doctor. If you want to be an office worker, then it is probably not good for you to go to medical school. The goal changes what is "good".
Evolution and natural selection didn't have a goal in mind when they evolved humans so the word and concept of a goal is irrelevant to the discussion. Which is why I don't use it.
If you want a strong, healthy society, then it is good to act in the ways you've spoken of. But what if that is not your goal? I think you need to support why this should be the goal, even for those who don't have or want that as their goal.
Once again, I have never claimed that evolution and natural selection had as a goal to create strong and healthy societies. They are just natural processes. Some actions are objectively beneficial and some are objectively detrimental to the well-being and survival of societies that is just a fact. Strong, healthy societies are not the goal they are the result of beneficial actions! I have never said they are the goal of anything! I make no comments on human goals! I make no comments on goals at all! I comment on natural processes and they don't have goals! They aren't conscious! So stop talking about goals!

Artie
Prodigy

Post #47

Post by Artie »

The Tanager wrote:The terms aside, I would still say this speaks of morality as a human social construct in the way DI is talking about it. I think it runs into the same problems that Artie's view does (whether he is utilitarian or has different reasons for talking about seeking the health of societies).
Misrepresenting me and putting words in my mouth yet again. I have said nothing about "seeking the health of societies".

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #48

Post by Divine Insight »

The Tanager wrote: And since you are using this idea to support your claim, you have the burden to show it is a good support, not to make a claim and then say that it's true unless someone can prove you wrong.
I'm not arguing that morality is a subjective human construct because I want it to be true, or even because I have some personal reason to support this idea. I'm simply suggesting that all evidence points to this being the case, and there is absolutely no evidence to support a postulate of some objective concept of morality that exists outside of human consciousness.

So my actual "claim" is that since there is no evidence to the contrary, AND since morality as a subjective human construct fits with everything that can be shown to exist concerning this idea, then where is there any argument that we should even consider a proposal of some objective morality.

As I said in my previous post. Can you even point to it? If not, then what does the idea even mean? Where would we find this proposed objective morality?

I think those are valid questions.

It's not that I'm just out to "win a debate". I couldn't care less about that. In fact, if you could actually show where we could obtain this imagined objective moral code, I'm totally open to looking at that. If you could actually produce such a thing how cold I dispute it?

I would not only need to accept it, but I would also find it extremely interesting.

But, as we all know, no such thing exists. Even the idea of an objective moral system appears to be nothing more than a human construct of imagination. It's as illusive as fairies. No one can produce it.

I'm just arguing for reasonable conclusions. I'm not looking for proofs unless you can produce an objective system of morality, in which case that would constitute a proof of its existence. As it is right now, you don't even have the thing you are arguing for. At least I have the known truth that humans do indeed construct fantasies and imaginary concepts in their minds. At least what I am proposing fits in with what we know about reality.
The Tanager wrote: That does not follow at all. Just because someone is guilty, it does not mean that just anyone has the right to punish them in any way they want, but that's not the important point to make here.
Ok, so now your introducing the concept of guilt and punishment. I take it that you see guilt and punishment to go hand-in-hand with a concept of morality.

I would agree. This is because, as I have already stated in previous posts, morality is nothing more than an idea of judging someone to be 'guilty' of something and deserving of being punished for it.

What do we even need such a concept for? :-k

Why do we need to judge people to be "guilty" and deserving of a punishment?

In secular law all that needs to be determined is whether a law has been broken and what the consequences for having broken the law are. There is no need to judge the character of the person in question to suggest that they are an "immoral person" or that they are "deserving" of punishment.

So morality and a concept of having laws in a society really have nothing at all to do with each other.

Morality is really all about passing judgement on someone's "guilt" and decreeing that they are therefore deserving of some specific form or degree of "punishment".

These concepts aren't even required to have a society with secular laws and consequences for breaking those laws. If I get fined for driving without a license what in the world does that have to do with morality? :-k

There is no need for a concept of morality to have a society of laws.
The Tanager wrote: I brought this up to be thorough, because I'm interested in really analyzing these ideas, challenging my own beliefs from all angles, giving the various perspectives voice, rather than simply trying to validate my already held beliefs. Many would say that original sin makes all humans guilty. I don't believe in original sin (at least not in that sense) but it is a view out there (and does not have to be tied to the Bible, although it usually is), that calls your argument here into question.

You can say there is no good reason to think "original sin" exists or that you think you can definitely show that it doesn't exist, or perhaps a different response. I was giving you that opportunity.
And this just goes further down the road toward the concepts of guilt and punishment. But those ideas can't be shown to be anything more than human imagination, or wishful thinking.

In short, there's simply no evidence that any such thing exists.

I would argue the adage, "Concepts that can be proposed without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence".

In other words, my position is that human imagination can fully explain where these concepts of morality, guilt, and punishment came from. Humans simply imagined them. And all the evidence points to this being the case? Why? Well the most obvious evidence is that no two humans can even agree on what the concept of morality should even include. Everyone has their own subjective opinions on this.

Thus what do we objectively see in our world? We see humans having obvious subjective opinions on moral ideals.

Do we see any sign of any absolute (i.e. consistent) objective morality system of morality anywhere? I claim the answer to that question is a resounding, "No. We don't".

Therefore to argue for the existence of such an imagined absolute objective morality is to argue for something that has never been seen to exist and that no one can even produce.

For the sake of argument, let's say I accept your argument that an absolute (i.e. consistent) objective moral system exists.

Where do we go from there?

Can you produce this objective moral system so that we can know precisely what it has to say?

If not, then even if it does exist, of what value could it possibly have to humans since no human could know what's in it anyway?

It's a concept that has no value until it can be produced. And no one can produce it.

So that seems to speak to the end result does it not? Until we can produce this proposed objective moral system to know precisely what it says, what good would it be even if it did exist? We'd still be back at square one having to subjectively argue and guess about what it might potentially contain. So what would have been gained?
The Tanager wrote: Divine Insight wrote:
Also if moral concepts don't extend to the animal kingdom, then how could you make a moral argument against animal abuse?
There is a difference between being a moral agent and what goes into moral considerations by moral agents. Why would moral agents only be allowed to consider one's effect on moral agents and not non-moral agents?
For me, the question becomes one of what we even mean by an "objective morality". Why should a system of objective morality only apply to humans?

This seems to me that this is a problem for those proposing that objective morality exists. They would need to explain why their proposed objective morality is not universal applying to everything.

But again, before they even bother wasting time trying to explain this, shouldn't they first need to produce this system of objective morality?

They can't even point to where it exists or what it might have to say, and they are already arguing that it doesn't need to apply to everything universally.

In other words, they are already making apologetic excuses for something they haven't even been able to produce in the first place.

I question why I should even bother wasting time getting into apologetic arguments about something that can't even be shown to exist in the first place.

This would be like arguing whether little girl fairies have to behave the same as little boy fairies. We haven't even established that fairies exist. So why are we wasting our time getting side-tracked into how they might need to behave?

Let's try to focus in on the question of where we might find an absolute system of morality first. Then, only after having found it and studied what it has to say, perhaps then we can see why it might not be universal.

But until we find this proposed objective system of morality moving on to discussions about why it might not be universal is kind of meaningless.
The Tanager wrote: You have said that morality is a human subjective construct. That is what I've responded to. I agree with you that morality is not naturally objective (although, if true, moral platonism and a physical reductionism would seem to me to be naturally objective morality).
Yes, if there exist some higher level of "Moral Platonism" that would indeed constitute a naturally objective morality. But where is there any evidence for the existence of such a moral system? And even if it did exist, how could we have a clue what it even has to say about morality?

This seems to always come back to the same place. Even if your hope that an objective morality might exist turns out to be true. It would still result in the same situation we currently have. No human would have a clue what's contained in the Platonic Objective Moral System and we'd be left to our subjective guesses and opinions anyway.

So even if we grant that a Platonic System of Objective Morality exists, we'd still be in the same boat as human subjective morality. In other words, we'd still need to just guess about what might be in the Platonic System of Objective Morality.

I mean, where would this debate end even if you won?

If the conclusion is that, Yes, an objective system of morality does indeed exist, but No, we can never know what it has to say. Then of what use is it?

We couldn't even know if we are personally in harmony with what it demands, much less use it to pass moral judgements on the guilt of others.

An objective system of morality that is beyond the reach of humans, wouldn't be very useful.
The Tanager wrote: The example is a counter to the principle you used here to argue for a human subjective concept. That principle is that disagreement on X means that X is not objectively true. That's a demonstrably false principle.
My apologies for perhaps not making my position clear.

I'm not saying that because humans can't agree on a consistent system of morality that this means that no consistent system of morality can exist.

What I'm saying is that since no two humans can agree on a consistent system of morality we can at least not that no humans possess a consistent objective moral system.

Perhaps one human could? But which one?

So my argument isn't that because we can't see the existence of a consistent objective system of morality this means that it can't exist.

My argument is simply that there clearly is no evidence that any such system exists.

So my point is that no evidence exists for objective morality. This doesn't mean that it can't exist. It just means that we can't even produce it for discussion.

Yet here we are attempting to discuss it anyway.

I bought this up because you were arguing that humans even have disagreement over the shape of the earth. But that's actually not true globally. The vast majority of educated humans have totally accepted the overwhelming evidence that the world is a globe. Our GPS satellites even depend on this being true.

So yes, there exist an extremely small handful of people who refuse to accept obvious facts of reality. But how's that suppose to support a proposal of the existence of an objective morality that NOBODY can produce?

I don't see the parallels there.
The Tanager wrote: Now, moral facts may not be demonstrable in the way scientific facts are, but so what? Does your argument assume that science is the only way to truth? If so, then you need to support that claim of scientism or your argument fails.
I see no reason to bring science into the discussion.

Can you point to any evidence for the existence of an objective moral system?

You're not restricted to using the scientific method. You can use whatever method you like. It just needs to be compelling.

Where is this proposed system of objective morality?

And far more importantly, what does it have to say about morality?

As things currently are, we are debating a concept that you can't even produce in any form.

At least my suggestion that morality is a subjective human construct appears to match up with everything we know about reality. I don't see how you could argue that this isn't both, possible, and most likely. It would certainly produce the results we actually see. All humans have their own personal subjective opinions on what they consider to be moral or immoral.

The evidence matches up with the hypothesis perfectly.

Where is there any evidence for the existence of a consistent objective moral system?

So far I haven't see where you have produced any evidence for its potential existence. Much less having produced the actual moral system itself.

You have chosen to argue for something for which there exists absolutely no evidence at all. None whatsoever.

I wouldn't want to have to take your side of this debate because I can't for the life of me think of anything I could say to support the idea.
The Tanager wrote: Your argument rests on everything being a moral "agent". I'm asking you to support that over against only some things being moral agents. You have the burden to support the claim your arguments rest on.
I'm not going to fall for the trick of trying to push the burden of proof onto your opponent.

Everything I have stated about morality being a human subjective construct holds up in the face of real evidence.

You are the one who has a burden of proof to produce your proposed objective system of morality.

I have clearly shown that no humans possess such a system. Or at least if any human does possess such a system it can only be one person, because as we all know, we're never going to find two humans who agree on every moral question.

So I have already produced tons of evidence for why human ideas of morality are subjective constructs.

Now it's YOUR TURN.

Where is your evidence that some proposed consistent system of absolute morality exists, and where can it be found?

Until you can produce at least "some" evidence for your position don't be trying to push the burden of proof off onto me.

Don't be acting like I'm the one who needs to prove something while you are totally free from having to prove anything.

You are making a claim that a potential objective system of morality might exist.

So where is it? Where can it be found? And what is contained within it?

If you can't produce these things they I don't see how you can question the evidence I have already presented that demonstrates that all humans have are subjective opinions that aren't even in agreement with their brothers and sisters.

Are you seriously interested in actually seeking truthful answers?

Or have you gotten off track to trying to switch the burden of proof onto a debate opponent instead?

I don't need to prove anything. We all know that humans cannot agree on moral concepts. That's a given.

Where is your "objective morality" hiding? And why is there no evidence for it?

That's the question.
The Tanager wrote: No, I'm saying let's see which is more reasonable to believe is true. We start with arguments for subjective morality. After that we look at arguments for non-subjective morality. We then decide which inference is the most plausible explanation.
I believe I have already given more than sufficient arguments that human morality is nothing other than subjective human opinions.

It's YOUR TURN:
The Tanager wrote: After that we look at arguments for non-subjective morality. We then decide which inference is the most plausible explanation.
By all mean, please do!

Thus far I haven't seen any compelling argument for non-subjective morality.

I would love to hear them. So if you have any please offer them up for consideration and critique.
The Tanager wrote: You made the claim that subjective morality exists in that other thread and this one. I am responding to that claim. I'm also willing afterwards to offer my own reasons for believing in non-subjective morality. If and/or how would one come to know what the non-subjective morality is would be an additional question, but it does not settle this one that we are talking about because of the claims you have made. After this discussion, start a thread on that and I'll share my thoughts.
Here's the thread.

Arguments for Non-Subjective Morality
[center]Image
[/center]

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #49

Post by Divine Insight »

I've come back over to this thread.

You ask me to 'prove' that subjective morality exists. I don't see why I should need to prove something that is so obvious. We know for a fact that subjective morality exists. Humans have quite different subjective opinions on morality.

A simple example: Some people think that being gay is immoral, other people to not.

So subjective morality exists. There can be no doubt about this.

So this has been established.

Now the question turns to: "Does any objective morality exist?"

I haven't seen any arguments for the existence of any objective morality.
[center]Image
[/center]

wiploc
Guru

Post #50

Post by wiploc »

The Tanager wrote:
wiploc wrote:Utilitarianism comes to mind.

I hesitate to say that, because "objective" is so often used as a weasel word, but there are common meanings of "objective" according to which utilitarianism qualifies as objective.
The terms aside, I would still say this speaks of morality as a human social construct ...
I don't know what to say to that. Are you saying it can't be objective if it involves society?

I think it runs into the same problems that Artie's view does (whether he is utilitarian or has different reasons for talking about seeking the health of societies). Utilitarians have a goal in mind. There are objective ways to better reach that goal, but why should we have the utilitarians' goal versus some other one in the first place?
Why should we pursue your god's goal instead of some other goal?

Are you saying that god-made moralities are subjective unless we all agree with them?